Author Topic: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll  (Read 3185073 times)

Offline magicmountain

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Fire from heaven
Re: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll
« Reply #8440 on: December 06, 2006, 07:25:13 am »
LOL Wow Lucise, that is some legbone he has there!!!

Quite a boner if you ask me!!
Remember upon the conduct of each depends the fate of all. - Alexander the Great

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #8441 on: December 06, 2006, 08:05:30 am »
For the Laramie Saga re-readers, today's assignment, chapters 11-15.

Chapter 11 is here: http://louisev.livejournal.com/5339.html

The deputy laughed softly and leaned over, reaching with one hand, the fingertips brushing over Ennis's clenched hand on his coffee cup. "Not you, Ennis, the alleged perpetrator. You are what they call the corroboratin material witness." Ennis felt his hand sting where Ellery's dry fingers brushed it, and he wanted to pull away. But he resisted, going stony-cold at the warm smile of the deputy.

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #8442 on: December 06, 2006, 08:06:31 am »
Another good quote from Chapter 11:

"I ain't never done nothin like this before," he replied.

"You mean go to a gay bar?" Ellery asked simply.

He nodded, saying nothing more.

"S'no big deal ta me."

"Maybe ta you."

Ellery leaned back and regarded Ennis with an unreadable look. "So what makes you special?"

"Listen mister, what right a you got to ask me all this? What -- are you queer too or somethin?"

Ellery was nonplussed, picked up his cigar and drew in a long, slow drag, never taking his eyes off Ennis. "That would be what I call one a those unanswerable questions, Ennis. For the sake a my job. But considerin I'm sittin here on my day off, at a queer bar, goin a all this trouble..." he leaned forward and put his face right up to Ennis's, where he could feel the harsh taste of the smoke in Ellery's breath ..."for a bunch a QUEER boys... then what the hell do you think?" He hadn't raised his voice, but he didn't have to. Ennis stared back at him, momentarily breathless, and utterly intimidated.

"Fair enough," he said at last. "Ain't nothin special bout me, except I ain't. I ain't... one a them gays."

Ellery laughed, setting down the cigar. "You mean out a the closet I think. Well it only took me about a second and a half to figure that out, Ennis. Much as I hate ta break it to ya, it didn't take no detective work."

Ennis scowled, not enjoying Ellery's humor in the least.

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #8443 on: December 06, 2006, 08:12:52 am »
A very important conversation, from Chapter 12:

"You ever been with a man Ennis?" that question again.

"Yeah. And so?"

"And so, you know, you ain't wonderin any more about yerself."

"No. Just wonderin about everybody else is all. Never met no other queers except..."

"What happened? Didn't work out? Wife find out?"

"Got. Killed." Ennis bit the words off. He didn't know why he was telling Ellery all of this, except that it seemed the man was genuinely interested. And lying didn't seem to be of much use.

"Sorry to hear it Ennis. Violence?"

"Don't know. Don't really wanna think about it, it wasn't all that long ago if you don't mind."

"Sure enough." Ellery drew in again on his nearly spent cigar, and looked around. "Where the hell are they? I gotta get a move on, and you boys prolly ought ta get Pete back here one way or the other."

Leslie

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #8444 on: December 06, 2006, 08:15:58 am »
Chapter 13, in which we are introduced to Ellery's car for the first time, and also some classic Ellery-speak:

"Goddamn Bill, thinks with his dick. He made a comment. Yeah I'm about to 'make a comment' a my own."

Ennis smiled at Ellery's commentary but said nothing, and the deputy's long strides suddenly halted before a dark blue Chevy El Camino parked along the street down a little ways from the Red Stallion. "My coach awaits," Ellery said, unlocking the door for Ennis.

Ennis eased into the car, able to stretch his legs decently inside the large vehicle. "Nice car Ellery."

"I got long legs, those Fords suck when it comes to tall men. I see you know what I mean. And I hate drivin a truck."

Leslie

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #8445 on: December 06, 2006, 08:18:09 am »
In chapter 11 Ennis and Ellery really connect. When Ellery asks him whether he has a wife at home and Ennis answers that Ellery doens't understand.

"Ellery leaned forward. "Just exactly what is it I don't unnerstand Ennis? Tell me."

The fact that Ellery addresses Ennis by his name, struck me. Ellery wants to know about him. It really is no longer a deputy asking someone about an incident. It's personal.

And all this when at the same time Gene and Bill are planning a little nooky in the bedroom, completely oblivious as to what's going on between Ennis and Ellery.
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #8446 on: December 06, 2006, 08:19:31 am »
Chapter 13, another important--and classic--exchange:

"Oh." Ennis fell silent, wrapping his hand as inconspicuously as possible around the passenger handle as Ellery started the car. To his surprise, after pulling out of the parking spot he pulled smoothly out of the Nightingale apartments and hit the secondary road at a leisurely pace. Ennis blinked and glanced over at Ellery, who cracked that big grin.

"Sorry for scarin the piss outta ya Ennis. I kin slow down if it makes ya more comfortable. After all, I am doin my damndest to impress you."

"Yer what?" His mouth opened slightly as he stared at the deputy, who kept his eyes on the road, but his eyes were sparkling with amusement.

"All part a my professional charm," Ellery replied, and coughed slightly.

Ennis sat dumbfounded, and looked down at his lap. He had no idea what to say or do right now, just that he hoped Ellery would keep driving slow, and that they wouldn't be heading back to see Bill quite yet.

Leslie

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #8447 on: December 06, 2006, 08:28:35 am »
Another good quote from Chapter 11:

"I ain't never done nothin like this before," he replied.

"You mean go to a gay bar?" Ellery asked simply.

He nodded, saying nothing more.

"S'no big deal ta me."

"Maybe ta you."

Ellery leaned back and regarded Ennis with an unreadable look. "So what makes you special?"

"Listen mister, what right a you got to ask me all this? What -- are you queer too or somethin?"

Ellery was nonplussed, picked up his cigar and drew in a long, slow drag, never taking his eyes off Ennis. "That would be what I call one a those unanswerable questions, Ennis. For the sake a my job. But considerin I'm sittin here on my day off, at a queer bar, goin a all this trouble..." he leaned forward and put his face right up to Ennis's, where he could feel the harsh taste of the smoke in Ellery's breath ..."for a bunch a QUEER boys... then what the hell do you think?" He hadn't raised his voice, but he didn't have to. Ennis stared back at him, momentarily breathless, and utterly intimidated.

"Fair enough," he said at last. "Ain't nothin special bout me, except I ain't. I ain't... one a them gays."

Ellery laughed, setting down the cigar. "You mean out a the closet I think. Well it only took me about a second and a half to figure that out, Ennis. Much as I hate ta break it to ya, it didn't take no detective work."

Ennis scowled, not enjoying Ellery's humor in the least.

Leslie

This really shows how considerate Ellery is. He wants to reassure Ennis (no big deal to me), letting him know he's queer too.  Of course, he doesn't want Ennis to go!  ;D

Another considerate thing to do: he always senses when Ennis has had enough and changes the subject back to Pete or to Bill and Gene. No wonder they end up married in only a couple of months! *sigh*

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #8448 on: December 06, 2006, 08:32:39 am »
Chapter 14 is on of my favorites....Ennis and Ellery have brunch at the High Plains Diner, preceded by Ellery buying "a baffling collection" of snack foods. The  whole conversation over their Texas omlettes is classic. Ellery is turning on the charm, Ennis confused, trying to figure out what is going on. Ellery is paying attention to Ennis, complimenting him, noticing he is quiet. Right here, this chapter, is where it all begins...

L

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #8449 on: December 06, 2006, 08:39:51 am »
hey leslie, nice chatting with you!  :)

you know these chapters all tell us (and Ennis) something about Ellery's character. In the apartment, he's considerate, letting Ennis know 'its okay'. In the bar he's funny in his 'blunt dressing down' of Bill and at Wilson's apartment he turns on the charm to the neighbour.

"She smiles hopefully, perhaps feeling that same sense of warm belonging that Ennis was feeling when Ellery smiled at him that way."

I think by the time they get to the diner, it's a done deal. Of course they don't know it yet! But we do. :)

OMG, 'a warm sense of belonging'. Like 'me belonging to you and you belonging to me'!!