Author Topic: BROKIE & SAYIF (R.I.P. - 12th of June 08)  (Read 55028 times)

Offline j.U.d.E.

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
BROKIE & SAYIF (R.I.P. - 12th of June 08)
« on: July 04, 2006, 09:05:38 am »
Yesterday, I finally went to this friend of a friend's street were for a while now there was this young cat running around, being fed by whoever felt like it. The cat is quite young (not much older than 1 year, I'd think), slim and a short-hair tabby cat (light and dark brown). Living so close to the street, it was only a matter of time for it to be run over. The people there said that she had kittens, but that someone had killed them..

Anyway, yesterday evening I get to that place and two kids were playing in front of the house, feeding the cat.. Turns out that the kittens are NOT dead and that they are happy and healthy three little ones! Old enough to walk around, it wouldn't have been much longer for them to be killed as well.

What to do?! I decided to take them all four and to bring them to my place! And I did. There, they looked around my flat for half an hour or so (I won't let them into the garden just yet) and then they all fell asleep on my bed! C.U.T.E.!!

The little ones look like their mother, just a little darker. I haven't checked yet, but I think they are all male. I will keep the mother and one kitten for good, but hope to find a permanent home for the other two.

I have started calling the mum 'Brokie' (I hope I won't have to explain to people where I got THAT name from!  :laugh: ), but I can't think of a name for the kitten I'm going to keep.

That's now your job here! Can you help me find a BBM name for it? I don't mind/care if it's a female/male sounding name, but I prefer a gender-less name. Also, I don't like human first names. So, if anyone has an idea, I'd be happy to consider it!

I don't have pictures yet, but hope to get some very soon.

This is not my kitten, but it looks like the ones I have

Thank you!

~ j U d E
« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 08:15:49 pm by j. U. d. E. »
MLK - - - - - - - - - - - - HAL - - - - - - - - - - - - BHO
*15 jan 1929 - †04 apr 1968 | *04 apr 1979 - † 22 jan 2008 | *04 aug 1961 -

Offline saucycobblers

• Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.
Re: Naming that kitten..
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2006, 09:24:09 am »
Awww... that's so cute... that family is very lucky having you look after them. A good deed...

As to the genderless, non-human BBM name?

Twister? A play on Jack of course...

Ummm... *scratches head*. I'll post more if I can think of any. This kinda thing ain't ma strong point!
Will you stop playing with that radio of yours, I'm trying to get to sleep!

Offline YaadPyar

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2006, 09:56:20 am »
Jude -

What a lovely thing for you to have done.  It's gonna be a lot harder to find names if you want them to be genderless.  You could try Lil' Darlin' or Junior (as in Alma Jr.).  But if you didn't care about the gender aspect, there are so many possibilities. 

I'd love to see pics of the kitties!
"Vice, Virtue. It's best not to be too moral. You cheat yourself out of too much life. Aim above morality. If you apply that to life, then you're bound to live life fully." (Harold & Maude - 1971)

Offline j.U.d.E.

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2006, 10:30:19 am »
Thank you for your suggestions!   :)

I forgot to say, but 'Cigar Butt' is out of the question too! ;D

And actually, since I'm not a native English speaker, I'd like a name that doesn't 'mean' anything..if you know what I mean.

Like, I don't know.. "Proulx" or something..  :-\

~ j U d E

Offline alec716

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2006, 10:44:45 am »
Hello Jude --

OK, this may be goofy but I am very tired... how about Moon, since, as a tabby, all the white has been pawed out?   ;)

On a more serious note, GOOD FOR YOU for helping these animals in need.  I am involved in cat and dog rescue, and it can be very gratifiying work.  You meet great animals and great people too. 

keep us posted....  :)  -- Alec
"... he is suffused with a sense of pleasure because Jack Twist was in his dream."

Offline starboardlight

• nipith.com
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2006, 11:17:09 am »
Wowie! May these cats bring you much joy, as you have given them of you.

Like Celeste, the first name I thought of was Junior.

Are you looking for something BBM related? How about Riverton or Lightningflat (mostly like shortened to Lightning), or even Juarez. Or you can name him after our community, BetterMost. What about Beans? Somehow I like the idea of a kitten named Beans.

If not BBM related, the possibilities are endless.
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

Offline j.U.d.E.

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2006, 11:43:01 am »
Wowie! May these cats bring you much joy, as you have given them of you.

Like Celeste, the first name I thought of was Junior.

Are you looking for something BBM related? How about Riverton or Lightningflat (mostly like shortened to Lightning), or even Juarez. Or you can name him after our community, BetterMost. What about Beans? Somehow I like the idea of a kitten named Beans.

If not BBM related, the possibilities are endless.

Thank you Starboardlight! Funny! I DID think of 'BetterMost' but I think it's a bit long. 'Beans' sounds cute! And 'Moon' and 'Lil'Darlin' and Twister! 'Junior' is not an option. We had a guy in school called 'Junior'.. no no.. And preferably a word that doesn't mean anything in English (or any other language - except Arabic -> I'm trying to learn that language - love the teacher, my classmates! It's great fun, so I'm considering a name/word in Arabic too).

If not, yes yes, yes! BBM-related! I also thought of 'Trimble' - that's the real-life last name of the guy who plays the Basque.. I like the sound of 'Trimble'. I thought of 'Nelly' as in 'gYLLENhaal'.. but I don't really like it actually..

Ok, for now I have to head home to those four little monsters! Thank you for all the ideas so far!

~ j U d E
« Last Edit: July 04, 2006, 11:47:31 am by JudeW »

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2006, 12:34:49 pm »
It's really a good deed that you took in the cats.

A name that doesn't 'mean' anything is hard to find.

Junior
Cherry (like in ~cake)
Rose (like in Old Rose)
Siesta
Maybe there's a nice word for "tent" or "mountain" in Arabic. You can ask your teacher. Especially an Arabic word for "mountain" would fit. So you would have Brokie for Brokeback and XXX for Mountain.

I like Nipith's "Beans" very much. Look at your signature   :) (I remember the scene from Brothers Grimm. I saw BG after I saw BBM and found it funny, that Heath's character name is Jake and beans also play a role in BG).

Offline starboardlight

• nipith.com
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2006, 04:24:34 pm »
alright, here's a stab at names that have no meanings what so ever. I'm just putting sounds together. if any find them happens mean anything in a different languages, speak out.

Yos
Shando
Munta
Eps
Pree
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

Offline j.U.d.E.

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2006, 06:53:29 am »
Thank you! Great ideas everybody! I like all of the ones you've mentioned Starboardlight! But I think I'd go for a BBM-related one. 'Siesta' is cool too, because they sleep a lot!  ;D

I actually checked for the Arabic translation for 'little', 'darling', 'cherry', 'mountain', 'sheep', 'tent', 'moon', 'twister' and 'beans'.. Some are unpronouncable (twister, sheep and darling) and some I don't like ('tent' is 'rhaïma' which is okay, but I don't want to call my cat 'tent'..  :-\)

little/young - sahir
cherry - kharaz
moon - khmar
beans - lufla .......  :o
rose - ouriya
siesta - filoula ......  ???
[if I got it right - I will have to ask my teacher]

I really like 'kharaz'. It sounds like a precious stone. I'd change it to 'karaz' though..

... thinking some more ...

~ j U d E