Author Topic: BBM is 3 Years Old This Month. How Are You Doing, Friends?  (Read 18566 times)

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • There's no reins on this one....
BBM is 3 Years Old This Month. How Are You Doing, Friends?
« on: December 14, 2008, 01:14:12 pm »

Three years ago this month, Brokeback Mountain opened in the United States, and all sorts of unsuspecting people turned into Brokies overnight.  They came from all walks of life, all age brackets, all sexual orientations, and all political persuasions.  A bunch of us found each other over on IMDb and couldn't get enough of gabbing about this great film with its immense spectrum of emotion, artistry, beauty and grittiness.

I'd love to hear more about the highlights each of you has experienced over these three years and what keeps you coming back to BetterMost.

Have you continued the story in your own life?  Have you formed lasting friendships?  Are you here often or just once in awhile?

This Brokie wants to know!  :-*
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 11:53:01 pm by Meryl »
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • There's no reins on this one....
Re: BBM is 3 Years Old This Month. How Are You Doing, Friends?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2008, 03:05:41 pm »
When I think back over the last three years, I realize how much my life has been enriched by Brokeback Mountain. 

Best of all is that I have a new family of friends all over the world with whom I feel so comfortable that coming here to BetterMost is like putting on a well-worn, comfy old pair of jeans.  It's a part of my every day life, and when I'm away from my computer for a few days or weeks, I feel the empty place in my day.

That great Brokie energy has led me to meet up with my friends in Alberta for the best effin' trip ever, visiting the film locations and bonding on a river raft, a night at Ranchman's, a Hayride from Hell and at an emotional campfire ceremony, followed by a Full Moon Experience that brought me to tears. 

I ate supper with Brokies in Denver this September, held Ennis's shirts and sat in his beloved pickup truck, courtesy of famed Brokie EDelMar.

I've met lots and lots of Brokies right here in New York as they've been passin' through.  Here's a group shot after we saw Gustavo play a concert here:

I even met Annie Proulx!

I'm blessed to have John jmmgallagher right here.  We've gone together to pay tribute to Heath at his old apartment, and next week we'll eat dinner at the new restaurant in Brooklyn that was his pet project.

I was inspired by our BBM fanaticism to start The Brokeback Cult early on, and JeffWrangler dubbed me its High Priestess.  How I've enjoyed that title and the fun and seriousness that go with it!  I'd like to revive it again now that we're 3 years out.  You can hardly do better than to be a member of the Church of Understanding, Love, and Tolerance.

The Performance Thread has been great fun for me, too.   One of my favorite scenes, Thanksgiving at the Twist house, starts here:  http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,2739.msg165941.html#msg165941.

Though it's quiescent at the moment, never fear, the PT shall be completed.  Let this be a call to action, fellow thespians!  ;D

I saw BBM eleven times in the theater, and the last time was very cool, because I met my first Brokie in the flesh, Jenny newyearsday.  You can read my story here (Jenny's account is a few posts below it):  http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,269.msg1716.html#msg1716.

My favorite game has been the ABC's of Brokeback Mountain, that famous chestnut that is now in its 750th round.  We welcome new players, if anyone's feeling wordy: http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,462.msg4449.html#msg4449.

Since I became a Moderator two years ago this month, I've increased my enjoyment of BetterMost by getting to know all the mods a lot better and benefiting from the wisdom of Phillip Dampier, our fearless Mayor.  It was also my great pleasure to recommend my one of my best friends on the board, Paul southendmd, for the position of co-mod of Chez Tremblay.

Being a Brokie has increased my computer skills.  I can Google and use Photobucket and Paint much better than before.  I even started a thread for portraying BBM completely using smileys:  http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,15128.0.html:D

Of course, all the times haven't been happy.  Losing Heath in January just about broke my heart, along with all of BetterMost.  Thank goodness I had my friends here to help share the burden of grief.  It was helpful to be able to organize putting a condolence notice in the Perth paper and sending money to the David Wirrpanda Foundation, one of Heath's pet causes, in his memory.

I haven't yet traveled overseas to visit Brokies, but I've met some from far-flung places, like Mikaela (Norway), Reanna (India), Rayn (South Korea), Fabienne belbbmfan (Belgium), Anke Pipedream (Germany) and Sheyne (Australia).

What will the next three years bring?  More good things, I hope and trust.  I doubt my computer will grow cobwebs anytime soon.  See you for the Four Effin' Years anniversary next December!  8)
« Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 07:32:51 pm by Meryl »
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2008, 03:15:05 pm »
Hey there High Priestess!

What a wonderful topic for a thread.  Isn't it amazing that the Brokeback experience is now 3 years old?!  When I think about how much this community has gone through and how much this film and community have impacted so many people, I'm truly in awe.

To answer your questions, I certainly feel like I've made many lasting, solid friendships through BetterMost and Brokeback common ground. One of my favorite aspects of the BetterMost situation is the networks of friends developed all over the world.  I love knowing that we have friends far and wide. And, clearly I'm here essentially every day.  According to my official tally here... I've been on BetterMost alone for 92 days, 21 hours and 17 minutes (obviously not counting earlier time spent at imdb).  And, the in-person meetings with Brokies have been true high points of my life these past recent years.  Brokeback has led me to explore activities and even areas of the country that I maybe never would have explored otherwise.

I keep coming back to BetterMost because it's the routine place to continue to build these friendships and to keep in touch with people.  And, I still have a strong urge to discuss Brokeback.  If not every single day anymore... at least frequently enough to be grateful for the forums discussing BBM here.  It's nice to know that there's a wealth of Brokeback knowledge and understanding to tap here at BetterMost amongst the members when the need arises.  It's comforting to know this place is here.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2008, 03:38:37 pm »

To answer your questions, I certainly feel like I've made many lasting, solid friendships through BetterMost and Brokeback common ground. One of my favorite aspects of the BetterMost situation is the networks of friends developed all over the world.  I love knowing that we have friends far and wide. And, clearly I'm here essentially every day. 
I keep coming back to BetterMost because it's the routine place to continue to build these friendships and to keep in touch with people. 

Amanda, in the quoted part above you much more eloquently said what I would have said if I had a clear brain - I have had a lazy weekend and its affected my ability to concentrate on writing something appropriate!!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2008, 03:55:06 pm »
Here are two questions that were asked to me by The Daily Sheet staff on DCF, and my answers.

Why are you grateful for Brokeback Mountain ~ what changes have taken place in your life that are in some way related to the film. Have friendships grown as a result?

“Brokeback Mountain set me into motion. For a very long time, I was all about the status quo. Change was bad. It was when I saw Ennis alone in that trailer at the end of the movie, that I realized the status quo was not helping me in any way. I’ve become more of a participant in life, instead of a voyeur. I’ve become more outspoken, more self-assured, more focused on issues. I allowed myself to have my first real relationship; I’ve become politically motivated and canvassed neighborhoods on behalf of the Obama campaign. I also attended the ‘No on Prop 8’ rallies on Nov. 15th.

“Friendships have been fantastic here [on the forum] for me. I’ve met people from around the globe, and plan on meeting more. There is a kinship here for me that I feel on some level was missing from my life. While I do have great friends here in New Jersey with me, they are straight, and while they are supportive of me, I feel the members of the forum are not only supportive, they truly understand my feelings.”

Are your family and friends supportive of changes that you’ve made over the last 3 years ~ are they aware of the impact that the movie has had on your life?

“My family and friends have known about the Dave Cullen Forum since I first joined. They were initially worried about my involvement, my friends joked about hosting an ‘intervention’, but since they’ve seen the pics and videos and heard stories of all the places I’ve gone in the almost 3 years since the movie has come out, they are 100% supportive.

“I have posted this story before, rather recently, but I’ll tell it here again. When the Texas BBQ was about to happen, my mother couldn’t understand how close we all were. She admitted that she didn’t ‘get it.’ Not long after that event, DCF member Conny sent me a copy of her DVD of that event. The day it arrived, I played it on my computer. Mom happened to be around, and she sat down and watched it with me. She watched the ‘hellos’ and hugs, and all the laughing and drinking and dancing. Then the goodbyes came, and she watched us holding on to each other and crying. I turned to her, and could see tears in her eyes, and this was her response:

“‘I’m crying watching this, and I wasn’t even there. I can’t imagine what you all went through. I didn’t ‘get it’ before, but now I do.’”

I first heard about Brokeback in October of 2005.  I had signed on to Yahoo, and in the news section that had the headline "Gay Cowboy Movie wins Golden Lion Award".

I immediately clicked the link, and read about Brokeback Mountain, and quotes from Heath and Jake about the roles they took on.  At the end of the article was a link to the trailer for the movie.

From that moment, I was hooked, and counted down the days to when the movie was going to open in NJ. 

I work for a bank, and on that year, Christmas fell on a Sunday.  Because of that, we were closed on Monday (Dec. 26th) and I had no plans.  I was determined to see Brokeback.  All my friends were working that day, so I had intended to see it alone.  My mom was off work, and offered to come with me.

We went to the movie, thinking that we would have no problems getting seats.  We were wrong!  The line was out the door, and most of the viewings were sold out.  We got into the showing we wanted, but only by sitting in the first row, slipping down in the seats.

I knew the movie was based on Annie's short story, but I had not read it.  I usually enjoy the book over the movie, and I didn't want to ruin the movie for myself, so I decided not to read it until after the movie.  As a result, I didn't know about the tire iron scene.  My initial reaction was to clam up.  My mom was in the seat next to me, and she has told me she fears a Matthew Sheppard attack on me, and if I had broken down at that point, it would've upset her.  So I had to shut down from that point on.

I made the decision I would be taking all my straight friends to see this movie.  As a result, I had no one to talk to about it, and I went online to find out whatever I could on Brokeback.

Google pointed me to the Dave Cullen forum, and I joined that night, a few hours after seeing the movie for the first time.

In under three years, I've been to 12 states, and the UK.  Before BBM, I was a homebody.  I've done stuff I've never done before.  Gone on hay rides, ridden horses, danced the Virginia Reel and learned to two-step.  Met friends all around the world. 

I've exchaged phone numbers, addresses, emails, presents, ornaments, and done so much.

I went from being the oldest child in my family, to being "adopted" and am now the "baby" of 5 "Brokie Brothers"  (ShakesTheGround, SouthEndMD, RobInPuyallup & LoneLeeB3).  These 4 guys have no idea how much that means to me.

;D

This Brokie adventure has had many benefits to me, and that's why I keep coming back, and will always.

Have there been "bumps" in the road?  Sure.  But the positives waaaaaaaaaay outweigh the negatives.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2008, 04:56:18 pm »
I haven't been around for three years, since I only first saw the movie a year ago on the day after Heath died.
But what a year it has been and this year will absolutely go down in history as the Brokeback year for me. Who knew in December last year that a year later I would have driven around in Wyoming visiting deserted farms and cemeteries or driven around in Alberta visiting places where they shot some movie?

When I saw the movie in January it "happened" to me. I remember lying on my bed in my dark room and watching it on my laptop. Afterwards I curled up into a fetus position and cried like a baby. And after Brokeback I went into sort of depressive state that lasted for about a month. During that time I often cried and overall felt down but at the same time it was a good feeling, like the movie had tapped into feelings I really hadn't put words to in the past. It was quite an experience.

Exactly what it is in Brokeback that I respond to, I'm not quite sure of. I think that that's one of the reasons that I keep coming back to it. I need to figure it out. I think it might have to do something to do with fear of ending up alone (like Ennis does) or that I won't be able to hang on to my own personal "Brokeback Mountain". But I don't know for sure yet and that intrigues me. The answer is like an ever moving horizon that I never seem to reach.

My first meeting with other Brokies was in Wyoming in June. There I was, suddenly with people who were longtime fans and seemed to know everything about the movie. I felt like such a newbie, let me tell you. I remember lying on a bed in Rodney's house on my first night in Denver and giggling hysterically at myself - at my own craziness (I had after all travelled half way around the world because of a movie after all) but it was a good kind of craziness and I felt...happy. It's one of those moments I will never forget.

Then visiting Alberta with a friend of mine. That trip was one of a kind and for the first time ever I rented a car while being abroad! Chrystler - Yeah baby!

And then the Brokie gathering in Sweden in October...again i met people I would never otherwise have met and that I felt very close to after only a few hours.

So what this year has given me is a number of perfect moments that I'll never forget.

If I'm different than I was a year ago? I think I've done some growing up, I've learned to look beyond people's sexual orientation and have also learned that my own might not be so "set in stone" as I thought it was - and that that is okay too.

This have been a very good year for me, and I thank BBM for that

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2008, 05:01:42 pm »
Buffy - I thught you;d been around for much much longer than that - its amazing how people just fit into this little clan like a glove and we feel like we've all been together for years.
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2008, 05:12:22 pm »
Buffy - I thught you;d been around for much much longer than that - its amazing how people just fit into this little clan like a glove and we feel like we've all been together for years.
Kelda, I feel that way too. :)

I checked my profile and apparently I registered here February 21. Must have been around the time I came out of my BBM induced coma :D

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2008, 05:28:50 pm »
and we're glad you did come out of the coma, and register!  ;D

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Artiste

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2008, 05:33:46 pm »
Searching as in this Brokeback Mountain movie!