Author Topic: trying to make sense of Jack  (Read 13666 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: trying to make sense of Jack
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2006, 01:30:09 pm »
Notice how Jack was always talking about his dad, and the only mention of his mother was that she "believes in the Pentacost." Even there he didn't absorb her beliefs or even understand what the Pentacost was about. He was continually talking about going to help his "daddy" through the winter. This is one of the earmarks of a neglected or abused child who feels somehow that he or she is to blame rather than the parent, and is always striving to meet up to impossible expectations.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline jpwagoneer1964

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Me and my 1951 DeSoto Suburban
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2006, 02:06:26 pm »
Just had this thought about Jack as I was writing some Fanfic and found the perfect thread. I think what kept Jack going was that Ennis never rejected him, in the sense he never wanted to end the ralationship. He never gave Jack what he really wanted, but he still was there for the fishing trips. I think that is why Jack waited four years to contact Ennis, a very real fear that Ennis wouldn't answer or tell him to leave him alone, so by not contacting him he was keeping hope alive. Jack could not have stood that. He was able to accept all the other rejections as long as he had Ennis.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2006, 02:18:59 pm by jpwagoneer1964 »
Thank you Heath and Jake for showing us Ennis and Jack,  teaching us how much they loved one another.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2006, 02:16:48 pm »
Notice how Jack was always talking about his dad, and the only mention of his mother was that she "believes in the Pentacost." Even there he didn't absorb her beliefs or even understand what the Pentacost was about. He was continually talking about going to help his "daddy" through the winter. This is one of the earmarks of a neglected or abused child who feels somehow that he or she is to blame rather than the parent, and is always striving to meet up to impossible expectations.

Excellent point.  It's true - you really don't mention the parent whose love you never questioned in those types of situations.  We always got around to our childhood horror stories when we got hanging out and drinking in college.  And we would almost try to out-do one another with things like, "Oh, yeah?  Well, one time, my Dad..." or ", my Mom..."  We never tried to out-do each other on whose parent(s) loved them the most or did the most loving things.  Hopefully, though, that's because the unforgiving moments were much less constant than the all-abiding love - we remember those moments distinctly because there were fewer of them than the other.  I like to hope that, anyway.

Just had this thought about Jack asI was writing some Fanfic and found the perfect thread. I think what kept Jack going was that Ennis never rejected him, in the since he never wanted to end the ralationship. He never gave Jack what he really wanted, but he still was there for the fishing trips. I think that is why Jack waited four years to contact Ennis, a very real fear that Ennis wouldn't answer or tell him to leave him alone, so by not contacting him he was keeping hope alive.. Jack could not have stood that. He was able to accept all the other rejections as long as he had Ennis.

Another excellent point - it explains perfectly why Jack waited for four fuckin' years.  Thanks, JP.

« Last Edit: July 25, 2006, 03:29:09 pm by ednbarby »
No more beans!

Offline ekeby

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2006, 02:47:43 pm »
I agree that Jack compartmentalizes . . . and he manipulates; it's a little hard to figure out where one trait ends and the other begins. I realized last time I watched that Jack lies to Ennis in the motel room when he neglects to mention that Aguirre knew what they were up to. It's like he's put that information in a lock box somewhere, because some part of him knows if he reveals it, Ennis could end what they have. And this is well before Ennis gives the I told you it's not gonna be like that speech . . . .
I complain too much. That teacher don't like me. Now it's your turn.

Offline coffeecat33

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2006, 07:52:36 pm »
Here's a line from the short story by A. P. that I like, Without getting up, he threw deadwood on the fire, the sparks flying up with their truths and lies,..." I don't think Jack always intentionally lied, but I think Jack wanted Ennis so bad he walked on egg shells around him, trying not to upset him or send him into a rage. Jack did not want to get rejected by Ennis, so he skirted around some issues (been to Mexico, seeing the rancher's wife) in order not to incur Ennis' wrath. Ironically Jack's worst fears of being rejected by Ennis occurred anyway.

Some people are born with what's called, "resiliency." Even though they have a childhood of deprivation and are at risk of not succeeding, they still manage to. Jack took a lot of chances. He left home, left the state, hit on men he didn't know, asked Ennis to live with him, etc. I don't see Jack as hidden or having in outer & inner Jack. (At any rate, most of us have outer & inner selves.) I don't think he compartmentalized very well ("He drank a lot.") - he couldn't stop himself from talking about Ennis, even to his dad. I always felt Jack got married because Lureen had money (he finds that out before she approaches him), she was aggressive and (being Jack) he went along for the ride and probably mainly because they got pregnant. Not telling Ennis about Aguirre's observations was to protect Ennis I think. Ennis would freak if he knew Aquirre knew they were gay and had seen them having sex, wouldn't he?

I am so biased in Jack's favor, I can't be that objective but this is an interesting thread. cc33

Offline jpwagoneer1964

« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2006, 07:57:31 pm »
Here's a line from the short story by A. P. that I like, Without getting up, he threw deadwood on the fire, the sparks flying up with their truths and lies,..." I don't think Jack always intentionally lied, but I think Jack wanted Ennis so bad he walked on egg shells around him, trying not to upset him or send him into a rage. Jack did not want to get rejected by Ennis, so he skirted around some issues (been to Mexico, seeing the rancher's wife) in order not to incur Ennis' wrath. Ironically Jack's worst fears of being rejected by Ennis occurred anyway.

Some people are born with what's called, "resiliency." Even though they have a childhood of deprivation and are at risk of not succeeding, they still manage to. Jack took a lot of chances. He left home, left the state, hit on men he didn't know, asked Ennis to live with him, etc. I don't see Jack as hidden or having in outer & inner Jack. (At any rate, most of us have outer & inner selves.) I don't think he compartmentalized very well ("He drank a lot.") - he couldn't stop himself from talking about Ennis, even to his dad. I always felt Jack got married because Lureen had money (he finds that out before she approaches him), she was aggressive and (being Jack) he went along for the ride and probably mainly because they got pregnant. Not telling Ennis about Aguirre's observations was to protect Ennis I think. Ennis would freak if he knew Aquirre knew they were gay and had seen them having sex, wouldn't he?

I am so biased in Jack's favor, I can't be that objective but this is an interesting thread. cc33
Very good about keeping Ennis from knowing about Agguire, never quite looked at it that way.Jack was always protecting Ennis.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2006, 04:52:10 pm by jpwagoneer1964 »
Thank you Heath and Jake for showing us Ennis and Jack,  teaching us how much they loved one another.

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "It's nobody's business but ours."
    • "every sort of organized noise"
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2006, 08:10:13 pm »
I think Front-Ranger and jpwaggoner nailed it.

My norher's psychiatrist in  the earl;y '50s had a Volkswagon, which was always needing attendtion. She said she thought she loved it because it needed her so much.
I just thought of some crude but not inappropriaste lines from an old poem (won't say whose); perhasps this is why so many of us feel like we want to rip open Jack's thighs and belly and bury our heads in his entrails...

Sorry about thwt..

About lying: Jack in the movie was a consummate lier---"yeah..." "he told me you hadn't been around so I left."  etc,. I suggested in a short story that he might have picvked it up from his mother, who probably had to lie a lot to keep head attached to shoulders.
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters

Offline jpwagoneer1964

« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2006, 08:22:14 pm »
I think Front-Ranger and jpwaggoner nailed it.

My norher's psychiatrist in  the earl;y '50s had a Volkswagon, which was always needing attendtion. She said she thought she loved it because it needed her so much.
I just thought of some crude but not inappropriaste lines from an old poem (won't say whose); perhasps this is why so many of us feel like we want to rip open Jack's thighs and belly and bury our heads in his entrails...

Sorry about thwt..

About lying: Jack in the movie was a consummate lier---"yeah..." "he told me you hadn't been around so I left."  etc,. I suggested in a short story that he might have picvked it up from his mother, who probably had to lie a lot to keep head attached to shoulders.
In his defense, Jack didn't actually lie, he just witheld the whole story.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2006, 07:02:20 pm by jpwagoneer1964 »

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2006, 08:43:33 pm »
My goodness... there are so many interesting things in this thread and tons of different opinions that I tend to agree with... even some that seem contradictory.

I think witholding the whole story about Aguirre knowing about them is a perfect example of Jack being very circumspect with Ennis even before the scary revelation of the Earl story.  But, I think it goes even further back... I think the chat with Ennis on the moutaintop the morning after TS1 is another great example of Jack choosing his words very carefully (even through a very emotional moment).  Instead of responding to Ennis's "one shot deal" comment, he Jack sort of switches topics and says "it's nobody's business but ours" (a smart thing to say to calm some of Ennis's fears).  It's an interesting non-sequitur and it might have helped encourage Ennis to continue the relationship (although he probably would have anyway... out of his own desires, etc.).

I thought Jack took rejection admirably well, considering. He didn't let Ennis's ribbing get to him and he picked himself up out of the dirt when those bulls threw him. He didn't let humiliation by Aguirre or Jimbo deflate him. He withstood L.D.'s ridicule and that of the Childress community for about a decade before losing his temper. I thought he was actually a pretty resilient person considering all of the shit he endured. But the experience of Brokeback Mountain and his relationship with Ennis was his primary source of strength. The knowledge that at one time and in one place he was unconditionally loved and accepted. That's what the flashback scene is all about. That's the ultimate human need and the one thing that all of us don't hardly never get.

Lee, I just wanted to add to what others have noted and say that I think this is really a lovely post.  And in combination with what jpwagoneer1964 said here:

He was able to accept all the other rejections as long as he had Ennis.

I think we have a pretty good summary of many of Jack's motivations.

About his parents... I think it's very interesting to note that he mentions his Dad a lot more than his nice Mom.  I agree that the way he relates to his father probably has a lot to do with his father's abusiveness and his desire for approval from his Dad.  I'm going to re-ignite an old debate about Jack's Dad here - that re-emerges from time to time on various threads.    Just to see what happens.
 ;)

I wonder if a lot of Jack's self-confidence and self-awareness and (in other words) relative lack of fear about his sexuality/ the world's reaction to his sexuality (compared to Ennis) has something to do with the fact that neither of Jack's parents seem to be homophobic.  His Dad is an awful human being, but does not seem to be all that homophobic.  He's an abusive asshole but not necessarily a homophobic asshole.  And, his mother is so welcoming of Ennis and seems so respectful of Ennis's relationship with Jack that she more clearly doesn't seem homophobic.
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline dly64

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2006, 11:33:13 pm »
I just started reading this thread and found it very interesting. So many great thoughts.

Amanda – you are right …. You may be opening an ol’ can of worms with the whole OMT idea! YIKES! I’ll avoid that debate for the moment.

I have always felt a kinship to Jack. I understand him very well. No, I’m not gay … but I’m in a secret relationship and have been for 14 years. In my case, I am white, he is black. Although my family could care less, his family has major issues about the “evil ways of white women”. So I remain hidden. We only see each other a couple of times a year and it sucks. Forget about marriage …. it will never happen. As for “quitting” him? He’s in my blood. Although I have tried to be with other men, I can’t. This is how I see Jack and Ennis’ relationship. Jack has to live a double life …. his public-appropriate life and his hidden-authentic life. Jack hasn’t chosen this path. However, circumstances have forced him into this situation.

When Jack is with Ennis, he is  his authentic self. He can be a whiner and a dreamer, etc. Ennis understands Jack in a way nobody else can and vice versa. What Jack does not share with Ennis is his indiscretions (until he is forced to). Jack fears rejection. His love for Ennis is the one constant in his life and he doesn’t want to lose it. Yet, Jack has physical needs that are not being met on a regular basis … so he explores (i.e. Mexico, Randall). It means little to him, but it helps fill a void.

Jack is more outwardly vulnerable than Ennis. Ennis simply bottles his feelings until they come exploding out. (It is no coincidence that there are fireworks going on in the background when he beats up the bikers). Every emotion that Jack experiences, we experience, too. We feel Jack’s joy for living, but we also feel his pain. We feel Jack’s love and tenderness for Ennis, but we also feel his frustration. Jack does, however, contain his emotions a lot more in his “public-appropriate” life. There’s nobody in his “public” world that he really cares that much about. So, IMO, Jack really doesn’t expend that much emotional energy publicly as he does privately (except, of course, when L.D. “stud duck” Newsom  pushes him beyond the breaking point … then he explodes al la Ennis).

It is exhausting for Jack to live both of these lives. We can see the toll that it has taken on himself and on his relationship with Ennis. However, Jack still allows himself to be vulnerable with Ennis. Because Jack loves Ennis, it is worth him expending that emotional energy. When we see Jack’s home and we look around his bedroom, we have a glimpse at what Jack overcame to make room for his feelings. But still, the shirts are hidden to the “public”. Privately Jack longs for the love-of-his-life and knows that it will have to remain hidden. Therein lies the tragedy.
Diane

"We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em."