Author Topic: First Mate's Log  (Read 21585 times)

Offline Impish

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
First Mate's Log
« on: July 28, 2006, 12:44:12 pm »
Hi everyone:

I;m not on the ship yet, but had to check in to see if Chris is OK and I'll rest easier now that he's out of his coma.  While I'm here, I thought I'd get this thread started... 

I'm in Nice using a French keyboard so forgive the many typos I'm sure to make. 
I arrived yesterday and wandered around Vieux Nice (old Nice) with its roads so teensy that no car could get through.  Stopped in a sorbet shop, where they make their own from every fruit imaginable.  I just had to try the cactus sorbet, and it was delicious.

I wnet to the museum of modern art today ...  my favorite piece was a replica of the Venus de Milo but the body was done using fake fingernails, with all different colors of nail polish.  Hard to explain.

Tomorrow I'm renting a car to drive up on the Grande Corniche above Nice, where Cary Grant and Grace Kelly picnicked in Hitchcock's "To Catch a Thief."

Sunday we board the ship at 1p, and set sail at 5pm.  More from the high seas on Monday.

Bonne journee a tous!

Impish
If you won't pray in my school, I won't think in your church.

Offline YaadPyar

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: First Mate's Log
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2006, 03:41:29 pm »
This sounds just wonderful Bill - just wonderful!   I hope this journey through the world is a journey to yourself as well.  Best wishes,

C
"Vice, Virtue. It's best not to be too moral. You cheat yourself out of too much life. Aim above morality. If you apply that to life, then you're bound to live life fully." (Harold & Maude - 1971)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2006, 03:50:39 pm »
Thanx for taking us along with U in spirit. Celeste, luv your new avatar.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2006, 05:12:22 pm »
Hey Impish!

I just saw this pic they took of your group arriving on the Ship.   

If I were you,  I'd be real cautious with these people around Midnight!
   :laugh:

<photo credit to Lucise>

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2006, 10:47:40 pm »
I think U need someone to come along and serve as the official cilantro taster, to make sure no cilantro is in the same room cabin as U! Meanwhile let us know of any brokeisms U hear on the cruise...and everything else for that matter!

p.s. David is running amok on Safe Haven...just as we all hoped!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2006, 08:30:03 am »
Hey there, Bill,

I take it you are safely aboard and undersail by now!  I noticed our newest member 'ImpishAtSea'...'Who, oh who, might that be??  8)

Was the To Catch a Thief drive wonderful??  I'm looking forward to hearing all about it, when you get a chance.

Love,
Lynne
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline ImpyAtSea

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2006, 11:30:19 am »
Hey there, Bill,

I take it you are safely aboard and undersail by now!  I noticed our newest member 'ImpishAtSea'...'Who, oh who, might that be??  8)

Was the To Catch a Thief drive wonderful??  I'm looking forward to hearing all about it, when you get a chance.

Love,
Lynne

I finally made it here and am able to post.  I discovered that I left my passwords back in Nice...  and so I couldn't log in.  I registered a new account, but then couldn't use it because didn't have my password for my earthlink account either and so couldn't access the activation email.

So i've created yet another new account using the ship's email address... and am finally here.

I'm having an incredible time.  Travelpride, the company who chartered the boat, is doing a brilliant job: everytime I go back to my cabin, there is a little gift: today it was a sailor's cap, yesterday a neck pillow.  Food everywhere.

Other than losing my passwords, my only mishap was breaking my sunglasses an hour after I boarded.  We docked in St. Tropez today so went into town to replace them.  After searching and searching and getting ready to buy a pair I really didn't like, I asked a very kind French woman -- another customer -- what she thought of the pair I had.  She pointed immediately to another pair that had all the features I wanted and looked much better on me... so I bought them.  Revo's.

The ship is fantastic, and she runs with the sails out most of the time.  The furl and unfurl mechanically, and the booms are motorized also, and it all happens way above your head so you don't have to worry about getting hit by one.  I've attached a stock photo of her at full sail below.

The guest count is 190... (the ship can hold 305).  This is great because you can be walking along a deck and feel like you're the only one of the ship.  Then go to one of the several bars, pools, lounges and be among a crowd.  Another thing is this:  guess how many Windstar crew are on board?  That's right!  Exactly 190!

That's means each of us has our own attendant/valet-cum-houseboy, well, almost:  I don't mean they follow us around all the time. Most of them are from Indo- or Poly-nesia.  Mine's name is Rio.  I could get used to this.... 

Apparently, all the crew is excited to do this gay cruise, because they just finished a very full one with lots of children underfoot.  Having only 190 of us makes less work for them, and that filters down to us in the form of more complete service.

We're on our way to Porto Vecchio on Corsica.  I gotta run, cause there's a tea dance going on where I'll meet the captain of the ship.  I'll be back tomorrow with more.

Ciao,  Impy

PS: David, LOVED your picture of me and the gang.  How did you ever get a hold of it?

PPS:  Any private messages to ImpishAtSea won't be read cuz I can't access them. 
« Last Edit: August 20, 2006, 07:00:08 pm by Impish »

Offline silkncense

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "It's alright; 's alright."
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2006, 11:57:22 am »
Imp -

I LOVE being at sea - makes the whole world seem so peaceful!  I am so jealous/happy of & for you! 

I too want very much to do a European cruise - maybe next year if I can afford it after the Calgary gathering.  Of course, I'll have to go on one of the mega ships w/ thousands of people so I can get one of the bottom of the ship (cheap) cabins.  (I once named a thread on a cruise site "Sleeping with the crew" - boy did that get alot of response!).

Wish I was there!  ENJOY.

LJ
"……when I think of him, I just can't keep from crying…because he was a friend of mine…"

Offline David

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2006, 12:04:19 pm »
YAA!    Glad you are having a blast!

Divuldge my secrets of my pics and posts?   NEVER!    Muah ha ha ha!!!

Does the cruise company have a website?   Maybe we can see photos of the ship there?

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2006, 12:26:37 pm »
Bill, I love that you went to an onboard tea dance.  I love that the woman helped you find just the right sunglasses.  I love that you are sharing this adventure with us.  Clarissa