Author Topic: First Mate's Log  (Read 21597 times)

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
Re: First Mate's Log
« Reply #40 on: August 13, 2006, 06:54:02 pm »
More pics!

Impy,

You say it's a 'gay' cruise, but I mostly see men in your pictures.  Are lesbians not invited or is that like a separate 'lesbian' described cruise?

silk

Delalluvia - I have a cruise coming up in November - it is on one of the BIG ship cruiselines that you can indeed get for much less (can feel kinda like a cattle car @ times - but really not that often).  My cruise is 2 weeks, Nov 3 - Nov 17 & cost $1057.00 including tax.  Of course it's an older ship & my cabin is in the bottom in total darkness (no porthole) which makes it suitable for a mushroom.

:o :o :o

I'd be petrified.  No way they could get me in a floating metal coffin and lock me downstairs with only one way out.

Offline Impish

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #41 on: August 13, 2006, 07:36:47 pm »
More pics!

Impy,

You say it's a 'gay' cruise, but I mostly see men in your pictures.  Are lesbians not invited or is that like a separate 'lesbian' described cruise?

This was basically a gay-men cruise, but we did have 3 lesbian couples join us.  Interestingly, the week before our cruise, the ship had an all-lesbian charter.  So the crew of the Wind Surf had two straight weeks of catering to gay people.

There are several lines that specialize in lesbian cruises:  Olivia Cruises, and Rosie O'Donnel's line (don't know its name).  I believe these companies own their own ships.

Finally, there are cruises that have large gay and lesbian contingents booked into one of the regular cruises.  The gay groups are called "Friends of Dorothy" and I'm told they have some parties and events exclusive to them.

You really can do a cruise, my dear.  Decide you want to, and set a goal.  Many cruise lines are lowering their prices, and you can find some with prices starting under $1000.  That's pretty good for room and board for a week!
If you won't pray in my school, I won't think in your church.

Offline silkncense

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "It's alright; 's alright."
« Reply #42 on: August 13, 2006, 08:17:05 pm »
Imp -

Didn't originally see the close-up pic.  -  Dark glasses, dark shirt next to  the man w/ the blue & white stipes?   

Del - Thanks for putting that thought in my mind!  Actually, it's the best sleep I ever get - TOTAL darkness & gentle rocking all night long.  I'm really of the 'when it's your time' frame of mind anyway. 

Come to think of it - don't think those portholes are big enough to bail out of anyway & where I am, once I get out to the deck, the drop is a lot shorter.   ;D  Gotta look for the positive!

« Last Edit: August 13, 2006, 08:26:30 pm by silkncense »
"……when I think of him, I just can't keep from crying…because he was a friend of mine…"

Offline Impish

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2006, 09:18:58 am »
Imp -

Didn't originally see the close-up pic.  -  Dark glasses, dark shirt next to  the man w/ the blue & white stipes? 

Yep, that's me, but the magician isn't in the blue stripes: he's standing on something so is raised a bit, bare chest and a white strap over his shoulder.

For those still looking, divide the pic in four squares, then look for me smack dab in the center of the northeast square.  Sunglasses and a fat face.  :-\

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #44 on: August 14, 2006, 08:05:28 pm »
Del - Thanks for putting that thought in my mind!

Oops.  [blushing face]  Sorry about that.  But didn't someone famous onetime say going to sea was like being in jail with a chance of drowning?  :P

Impy,

I can do a cruise, like those cheapie all-the-food-poisoning-and-alcohol-you-can-puke-while-dodging-on-board-fire cruises to the Caribbean, but one like yours...to the Med.  The price was sans airfare, right?

Offline silkncense

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "It's alright; 's alright."
« Reply #45 on: August 14, 2006, 09:48:58 pm »
I can do a cruise, like those cheapie all-the-food-poisoning-and-alcohol-you-can-puke-while-dodging-on-board-fire cruises to the Caribbean, but one like yours...to the Med. 

I think you are besmirching my cruise choices again  :(  If you haven't tried it...  Besides, the booze isn't free  :(  :( (and the food is generally fabulous - with the cherries jubilee the only onboard fire I've witnessed).   :)
"……when I think of him, I just can't keep from crying…because he was a friend of mine…"

Offline Impish

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #46 on: August 15, 2006, 10:47:05 am »
Oops.  [blushing face]  Sorry about that.  But didn't someone famous onetime say going to sea was like being in jail with a chance of drowning?  :P

Impy,

I can do a cruise, like those cheapie all-the-food-poisoning-and-alcohol-you-can-puke-while-dodging-on-board-fire cruises to the Caribbean, but one like yours...to the Med.  The price was sans airfare, right?

Yes, sans airfare.  So choose a cruise closer to you.  Windstar does non-cheapie Caribbean cruises on a ship like I was on; Travelpride is doing a Costa Rica cruise on a windstar boat in Feb., and another on the Caribbean during Xmas-New Years week of 2007-08.  I'm vaguely considering doing that one, but want to see their other offerings for 2008.

But even the Med is possible for you; my point was that if you truly want that one, start saving for it.  Just don't tell yourself it's impossible.

By the way, I just discovered and opened a high-yield savings account online with EmigrantDirect, under the advice of my financial advisor.  It takes only $1 to open, no minimum balances, no fees, and is paying over 5% interest (much higher than your local bank's savings account in the U.S.). That would be a great way to start a vacation fund.  If anyone is interested, post your questions, or learn more at www.emigrantdirect.com.

That's what I'll be using it for...  saving for my next cruise, hopefully in 2008.

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #47 on: August 20, 2006, 12:01:45 pm »
Imp, thise is so wonderful to read.  I so admire when people get up and do things on their own.  Sometimes I'm like that, sometimes I'm not. 

I relate to the whole "Oh those people over there are all talking to each other, and here I am over here alone - oh, wait, right, they went to the other events so all know each other, maybe I should have gone too - oh but wait, right, I now find drunken hilarity boring, and probably wouldn't have enjoyed myself - plus, I loved being all curled up and reading while I had the chance - but still, it would be nice to talk to someone interesting...." spiral.

Thanks for the beautiful descriptions, especially the navy blue and turquoise.  And I figured out which one you were in the group shot - I thought of you as the one with the beautiful hair.

Offline Impish

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #48 on: August 20, 2006, 06:35:37 pm »
And I figured out which one you were in the group shot - I thought of you as the one with the beautiful hair.

You just made my day.  ;D

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #49 on: August 24, 2006, 08:42:43 pm »
I think you are besmirching my cruise choices again  :(  If you haven't tried it...  Besides, the booze isn't free  :(  :( (and the food is generally fabulous - with the cherries jubilee the only onboard fire I've witnessed).   :)

Oops, sorry again silk.  My sister has been on a Caribbean cruise and enjoyed it.  Her well drinks were free.  Maybe it was the kind of cruise she was on? ???  She's been trying to get me to come with her on an Alaskan cruise, but everytime I think it over seriously, there is always some disease outbreak or fire or - lately, a keeling over - of a cruise ship.  It's just a coincidence, but I get nervous.

I think I'll just keep saving up for my sister and I's trip to Paris.  I don't particularly want to go, I would rather save up and do a tour of Italy, but it's my sister's dream to see Paris and after her cancer and diabetes diagnoses, and how happy she looks when we talk about the trip, I don't have the heart to say 'Eh, I'd rather not go."