Author Topic: ~~THE PERFORMANCE~~ Plot/Subplot Poll  (Read 10816 times)

Offline Daniel

• Counsellor
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I lost myself to him.
Re: ~~THE PERFORMANCE~~ Plot/Subplot Poll
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2006, 03:36:48 pm »
One critical thing to remember the Production of Broke Arsed Mountain was NEVER intended to be a true telling of the story of Jack & Ennis, excuse me folks but that's already be done and far better than any of us could ever dream of telling it.  It is a joke, a parody, a caricature.

It was never supposed to be serious, It was RAY our currently absent Court Jester who started it after all,  ;)  it is a cartoon if you will, that involves not only the plot lines of the story Brokeback Mountain but the stories and sub-plots of Broke Arsed Mountain the crazy folks trying to make the movie....Get IT.  It's certainly no different than all that Fan Fiction that some folks are so addicted to that bears absolute no resemblance to Brokeback Mountain or Jack and Ennis in anyway...many of those stories put words in Ennis Del Mar's mouth that he just would NEVER have been able to say out loud if he could even have allowed himself to think them.

SO far I think everyone involved is brillant and fiercely creative.  No apologies necessary, no changes needed as far as I am concerned.   It's kind of like that Lines Visualized thread there were only a handful of folks who ever posted on it but dozens who enjoyed reading it everyday.  I personally say "Let Be" I would not change a thing.  In the climate around here the last few weeks it was and continues to be a much need ray of sunshine and good old fashioned fun.

Just my opinion

Actually, Vicky. As I see it, we have progressed from high school play to broadway musical to soap opera. At the rate we're advancing in our acting techniques and styles, we should be at Academy Award worthy film by the time we reach the end of the movie.
Why do we consume what we consume?
Why do we believe what we believe?
Why do we accept what we accept?
You have a body, a mind, and a soul.... You have a responsibility.

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2006, 03:42:18 pm »
I think reining in the subplots'll endanger or kill the spontaneity and immense creativity that's going on here. Same for trying to limit more what people are allowed to post, and when. The subplots reference Ennis and Jack plenty, directly and indirectly - as parodies, as contrasts, as alternate versions. All of it speaks of a deep affection and knowledge of the story, film and characters - and a wish to deal with and communicate about the original story/film by means of humour. A very good way of dealing IMO, when done out of love and respect.

I must admit I never fail to smile when I imagine the hysterical goings-on around the tent(s) up on old Brokeback in the Performance. See it all pass before my inner eye.......  Ennis and Jack falling in love in the middle of a veritable whirlwind of talking and singing animals, inanimate objects with more personality and a more noticable sex drive than many a person I've met in real life, film crew and marketing people with agendas and complicated life stories of their own, - all of them going about their confusing and exiting lives alongside Ennis and Jack living theirs. The high priestess covering the spiritual elements, the feng shui director....... So many levels and angles to dealing with BBM, in one immensely creative mix!

You're all amazing.  :) So my vote went to "leave the sublplots in". Jack and Ennis won't ever get lost - we love them too much for that.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2006, 03:53:48 pm »
I've been reading TP for the last week or so. I find it to be totally entertaining. I love the subplots. They bring the life and energy to everything. They turn the production  into what I think what it was intended to be...fun.  I would'nt change a thing. And please don't get too serious. I love it because its on the lightside. If ya all get serious about it it will ruin it!

%% I can't beleive I just wrote that. They are gonna think I'm a real jackass now.%%

I don't think that at all!  I'm glad to hear from someone who's not an actively posting character who is enjoying the ride, too.  :)

Such wonderful posts, everybody  :-*

I wouldn't change a thing, either, unless it would be to have a few more posts from the Continuity Director to focus the actual BBM story line from time to time (thank you, Jane, for your very welcome efforts).  What makes the PT fun is seeing people step in with characters and actions that are completely original and unexpected.  The singing mule, the snow attending the party via the fridge, Guy and Lucise's sudden attachment, the crotchety owl family, jealous blue jeans, commercial interruptions, the Sacred Relic antics, the warshcloth/tube parallel tent scene--such divine stuff could never have been planned, but is entirely enjoyable.

What is ultimately going to save the subplot problem is the simple fact that we do have a strong story line provided by the actual movie.  For people new to the thread who are confused, I would hope that they would look over the pages that came before and enjoy them.  One wouldn't jump into a complicated novel mid-stream, and the same goes for this crazy thread.

Maybe I would change one other thing: I'd love to see more people riffing on each other's contributions--not being scared to pick up on an incident and go further with it, or a create a new character to deal with it.  There are no Performance Thread Police to say "you can't do that!", and I hope there never will be.  The improvisation is the most fun part for me, and often I've felt people holding back to see where I'm going with something when I'm actually hoping they'll jump in with a new twist.  Only a couple of times have I PM'd other posters to ask for something specific.  I'd much rather be surprised.  :)

I think a good basic rule of thumb for the thread is what Victoria said: "Let be, let be."  Soon we'll be heading into more serious dramatic territory--this is a sad story, after all--and the tone of things will change, but the creativity of the posters here is definitely up to the task.  There will still be funny stuff, too, I'm sure.  I'm really looking forward to seeing how things evolve (perhaps with occasional gentle guidance).  This is one truly unique internet experience.  8)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Daniel

• Counsellor
  • I lost myself to him.
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2006, 04:02:18 pm »
Right, I would like to respond to something Mikaela and Meryl have posted, our marvelously melodious mellowed mademoiselles. Perhaps it would help anybody who is confused by this thread to actually imagine it as a film set and many of these interesting stories as happening at the same time. I know thats how me and I think Millie see it, and it helps keep things clear in our head. Of course, things are going to sometimes seem out of order or out of place because of this, and also interlacing scenes may require us to read a few pages once or twice to get everything down right.  Now who would want to do that?  ;)

Yes, it is a seven ring circus, fortunately we've got permarecorders on so you can just go back and see whats going on in the rings you missed the first time around.

Offline nakymaton

• aka Mel
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2006, 04:33:27 pm »
Do you think that the cast and crew who haven't played parts yet could be invited to the party? That might help include more people. (I want to see Ennis's pyjama bottoms interact with Jack's pants. Or, you know, interactions between other upcoming props and characters. Like Jimmy or the bikers or whoever.)
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline Daniel

• Counsellor
  • I lost myself to him.
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2006, 04:38:56 pm »
Hmm, well they might not be on set yet... You're free to bring guests though... :) I know Ms. Snow just arrived right when she was needed.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2006, 05:50:18 pm »
Do you think that the cast and crew who haven't played parts yet could be invited to the party? That might help include more people.

Great idea, Mel, but it looks like Owlma is winding up the party!  Needs to have a little one-on-one with Oscar.  ;D
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2006, 07:28:47 pm »
Hi Y'All, I love our Performance Thread.  I adore most of the subplots. 

I think we are fully cast for the foreseeable future - with pre-determined characters from the original BBM.  As to whole new characters, I know Nipith is planning to step in soon as Jack's Rearview Mirror.  Characters like that, the sky's the limit, anyone can join in at anytime.  The person playing Older Jack may not even be a member of BetterMost yet.  I feel very comfortable having some of the later parts uncast.

I love when Our Continuity Director announces the upcoming scenes and who is in them.  I love the structure and guidance of that. 

I love all the innovative twists and turns our lovely community members have added.

We're doing great. 

« Last Edit: July 31, 2006, 07:34:58 pm by Ellemeno »

Offline Pipedream

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2006, 10:47:29 am »
Why do I love The Performance thread so much? Well, I guess it combines all the virtues of my other favourite (silly) threads here on BetterMost. It is at the same time Lines from BBM visualized, Lines =U= Won't Hear in Brokeback Mountain, Let's write BBM Limerick (well, at least their has been plenty of poetry!), A song that makes me think of Brokeback Mountain, Imagine the Television commercials during BBM and How to speak Brokeback for Dummies. All the stuff that has been cracking me up since I joined BetterMost.net back in April and that I have had the pleasure to contribute to, is coming together here, and what can I say? It's a joyride!

Of course, there are things you could critisize. For example, as a graduate in letters, I coulnd't fail to notice we were jumping around a bit between the past tense and the present tense... Lol.  ::)

Also, the catering has abated a bit on set lately (gotta talk to the Props Magician about it). But otherwise? Move on, I say! And, most importantly, don't worry too much about what others might think!
In Germany, we have the saying: "Wer lange fragt geht lange irr." It means: "He who bothers too much with asking other people will blunder all the more." 
I'm really with Meryl here: the funniest situations are always those you don't expect. And Vikki is right, too: this isn't meant to be a faithful reproduction of the original movie. It's a carricature and a parody, and nobody is obliged to like it. I like it, by the way!  ;)   

So I, too, would like to encourage everybody to just jump in when they feel like it. Action and reaction – that’s what keeps this thread going. Too much planning, on the other hand, destroys the spontaneity and is most of the time no good. I've experienced that on one occasion…

What would be my vote? I vote to abandon polls like this because they lead nowhere. What does it help to know that some people would wish for more of a certain plot or subplot when everything really depends on the actors' availability and daily mood, anyway. More Jack and Ennis? Well, as Annie said: ya can't have one without the other...

See ya all on set! 

ANKE :)

P.S. Director Raymille!!! You better git yer scrawny ass back here pronto!!!

« Last Edit: August 01, 2006, 10:50:54 am by Pipedream »

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2006, 12:04:09 pm »
On that note ..

On with the show folks!  ;D