Author Topic: Off-site discussion of BetterMost posts  (Read 90865 times)

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Off-site discussion of BetterMost posts
« on: July 24, 2009, 07:23:34 pm »
This topic was split off from a thread in Current Events and placed here for continuation of the discussion.

Meryl
Co-Mod, Current Events

No. Jess got booted out of here, so she went and started her own community. Many of the conservatives followed because:

- we like Jess
- our POVs tend to cause flame wars over here
- some felt that our conservative threads were being hijacked
- some of felt that moderators were not treating them fairly
- nobody goes after the person when they run out of ideas on the topic
- no gay dogma, or leftist preaching
- no crybabies, no drama queens, no sissies, and no misandry

What about 'fatties', are those allowed?  ::)

Anyway,  thanks for replying, even if your answer was somewhat contemptuous in tone.
I didn't stay there long, I just noticed a lot of familiar posters and they seemed to be complaining about this place quite a bit.  That's what prompted my question.

I didn't even know that Jess had been banned from this site, I wondered where she went.  Also Artiste.

« Last Edit: July 25, 2009, 11:18:21 am by Meryl »

Offline bailey1205

Re: Gay Couple Detained After Kissing on Mormon Church-Owned Property
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2009, 08:20:07 pm »
No. Jess got booted out of here, so she went and started her own community. Many of the conservatives followed because:

- we like Jess
- our POVs tend to cause flame wars over here
- some felt that our conservative threads were being hijacked
- some of felt that moderators were not treating them fairly
- nobody goes after the person when they run out of ideas on the topic
- no gay dogma, or leftist preaching
- no crybabies, no drama queens, no sissies, and no misandry

Well, I'm glad you found a place more to your liking.

However, I must say the copying of our very posts from here , onto that site for ridicule is a
little disturbing.  Not to mention unfair.

But......  shit happens.

;)

Offline Luvlylittlewing

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2009, 09:41:51 pm »
Well, I'm glad you found a place more to your liking.

However, I must say the copying of our very posts from here , onto that site for ridicule is a

But......  shit happens.

;)

And cowardly?

Offline oilgun

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2009, 10:07:48 pm »
I've been quoted. How flattering!

http://retreat.smfforfree.com/index.php/topic,316.msg4914.html#msg4914

Page after page of childish bitching & insults directed at the posters here who have an "alternative POV" to theirs. What is this, grade school?  I feel like I need a shower...

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2009, 12:38:10 am »
I suggest we get this thread back on topic.  I don't know the best place to discuss the issue of post-copying and off-site personal attacks that has come up, but for sure it's not in this thread.  Let's move past it and return to the topic at hand.

Thanks,

Meryl
Co-Mod, Current Events Forum

I agree, Meryl. Let's move on and get back on topic. Before doing so, however, could I request that milomorris' post that relates to crybabies, drama queens and sissies please be amended to delete the final dot point? It may not be a personal attack, but it is most certainly an attack and has no place here at BetterMost.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline milomorris

• No crybabies
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2009, 02:05:22 am »

Hey...life is unfair, and we don't exist to make you happy. Get used to it.
  The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Offline milomorris

• No crybabies
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2009, 02:07:47 am »
I agree, Meryl. Let's move on and get back on topic. Before doing so, however, could I request that milomorris' post that relates to crybabies, drama queens and sissies please be amended to delete the final dot point? It may not be a personal attack, but it is most certainly an attack and has no place here at BetterMost.

Why? Is honesty now under attack??

Give me a good reason.
  The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

retropian

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2009, 07:18:49 am »
If I understand correctly there is a new Blog or site created by former Bettermost member Jess (injest) where it members, those who self-identify as “conservative” can discuss whatever topic they like without fear of opposition or contradiction? And further, are copying posts from Bettermost members for ridicule, without that person knowing that is done therefore not even providing the opportunity for rebuttal, expansion, clarification etc.(if that person desired to do so), which is nothing but cowardly. All because they feel victimized by “liberal” members here who won’t concede to their “conservative” arguments?

I think conservative Bettermost members, or those who think they are conservative can only blame themselves. Bettermost was setup in response to an amazing film that will live in our hearts, truly, forever. It is a film that concerned the lives of two gay men who could not, because of societal restrictions and internalized fear, live the life they should have. The people with whom this film resonated the most are gay men, followed by straight women, a few gay women, and a tiny number of straight men (as far as I know). Like it or not, most gay men, and most of their supporters, think of themselves as liberal. Of course one can be socially liberal and fiscally conservative etc. Most people have a blend of “liberal” and “conservative” views, and you’d be surprised at how much overlap there is. Knowing that most people in the gay community think of themselves as liberal and the Bettermost membership probably mostly made up of gay men, a conservative person should know that if they post a supposedly conservative view they will get a lot of disagreement, especially when that viewpoint is presented in pompous, arrogant and condescending ways.

It seems to me they have become what they claim to detest. They have created a place where they can commiserate with one another about how victimized they are at the hands of the “liberal elite”, over which they claim superiority (it’s a fascistic outlook to feel victimized at the hands of those to whom you feel you are clearly superior). They have created a place where negativity rules, where there is little discussion of positive and affirming values but mere sneering and condescension of what they perceive to be “liberal” values making is no more than a reactionary mire. Well, go for it and please don’t troll here.

Offline milomorris

• No crybabies
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2009, 08:29:06 am »
If I understand correctly there is a new Blog or site created by former Bettermost member Jess (injest) where it members, those who self-identify as “conservative” can discuss whatever topic they like without fear of opposition or contradiction?

Opposition and contradiction were never the problem. Retribution is the problem.

Offline bailey1205

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2009, 09:16:11 am »
Hey...life is unfair, and we don't exist to make you happy. Get used to it.

Hey, if it makes you happy....... gives you some feeling of joy...... go for it.

:)