Author Topic: Off-site discussion of BetterMost posts  (Read 90079 times)

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
Re: Off-site discussion of BetterMost posts
« Reply #170 on: July 27, 2009, 12:13:37 am »
Susie,

(Mod hat on)

Speaking as one of the two moderators of the Fanfic section of the board, neither you, nor Gary, nor any other author were singled out for any action on any of the fics you posted there.  I did the editing and reposting, and in a few minor cases, archiving, of certain specific drabble posts for one reason only - because we were hosted on a site in Texas, the area was a public area, and the laws in Texas regarding internet conten because the terms of our contract with GoogleAds involved content restrictions, and  could very easily have been invoked to cause headaches here, and our recommendation then, as now, is to make live links to story sites for fanfics you wish to post, and everyone is invited to contribute - and comment on - any fics they like.

It would be a mistake to take any of what is said by former members of Bettermost regarding our moderation policies, which are posted and which are guided by our minimal and effective rules.  You are certainly welcome here, and I for one am glad you have decided to return.  There is no need to feel wary or uncomfortable about participating in the Fanfic area or in posting drabbles there as before or in posting new things.  I said that at the time, and I stand by that.

ETA: reviewing the correspondence from that time period, the removal and external hosting recommendations on the Fanfic Halloween thread was due to compliance provisions in our GoogleAds contract.  The Male Imagery thread was moved to a server outside of Texas because of concerns over Texas laws - two different issues which were resolved in the same time frame.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline bailey1205

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #171 on: July 27, 2009, 12:21:23 am »
I love fanfic !!!!! ;D

Offline underdown

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • aka... Rob
« Reply #172 on: July 27, 2009, 04:54:46 am »
Susie, you know I love you, and I love how you stick up for me.  But we can't control what those people say about us.  So yes, let's move onto something else.  The bark chewers and the glass eaters can grind their teeth all they want.  They can only hurt us if we turn our ear toward them.  It's a siren's song we've been listening to here, and if we're not careful, we could head toward the rocks.  So let's let it go.   :-*

I would totally agree with you, Gary.
Being a curious cat, I did have a look at the retreat and that thread. If people need it, then, probably, Jess is the best person to host it, and I have nothing but admiration for her.
That said, I was not amused to see my own name mentioned on her (public) forum, and associated with another, named, member of BM, and that cited as the original reason she set up alternative blogs; and perhaps being the catalyst for the resultant interest or ill feeling here. So, maybe I'm to blame?
I'm not a bad person, but I'm not a saint, or here to keep other people happy, either, as Milo would probably say.
Yes, I was close to that other member for one wonderful year, a few years ago, and we went our separate ways. Maybe she preferred someone else, or maybe I snored too loudly. Whatever the reason, that was over long ago, and should not be still mentioned.
Yes, a while after we parted, I heard that her horse won a championship, and searched him, because I felt proud for her and wanted to see what he had won. And purely by chance, that led me to a post about him in Jess's Feedstore.
Yes, I was tempted, I am cheeky, curious, and couldn't resist getting involved in the thread; incognito. But that felt dishonest, so I experimentally posted a photo to let slip who I was. There was absolutely no intention to be dishonest. Either I'd be trusted to be just a friend, or misunderstood and kicked out, and the latter was decided upon. Then followed not so nice PMs to others on BM, saying things about me that I won't mention here. Then something even nastier was publicly posted; so serious that my solicitors wanted the Australian Federal Police to become involved, but I could not allow that.
In a way, I wish that I had never heard of BetterMost, because it may have caused pain to those who could not understand, and I am sorry if it did. But I have made other friends here that I think the world of. A couple of them joined the retreat, and I can understand that. After all, Jess does, in her own way, have a lot to give to others.
I'm not a friend of Jess's, but, in relation to her, everyone would know what Shakespeare's Mark Antony said of Julius Ceasar .. 'The evil men do lives after them; the good is oft interred with their bones.' How true. We should let it be, and wish them all the best.
Now, having been perhaps too personal, and being possibly the only straight male on BetterMost, maybe I don't fit in very well. But I do appreciate the values of BetterMost, and the story behind it, and the friends I have made here, very much.
Rob.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #173 on: July 27, 2009, 06:21:18 am »
Rob,

You have no need to explain yourself, and can assure you you are just as an important part of Bettermost as anyone else here.

And you are not the first or only straight male member of Bettermost, rest assured!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #174 on: July 27, 2009, 08:58:18 am »
Maybe Susie and I should start a

Go Fuck yourself club !!!!

;D

Where do I sign up!?!?!?  ;D

(((Karen)))  :-*
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • LCARS
« Reply #175 on: July 29, 2009, 10:39:37 pm »
I have too much time on my hands with this broken foot.

;D

I'm over it now for sure. I know you realize there is always two sides to every story.

Bill, I hope you are surving the Texas heat.

If I could walk, I would be on a plane to New England.

;)

Anywhere cooler.

I've been way up north n the Bitterroots for the past couple of weeks. 70's in the days, 40's at night.

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #176 on: July 29, 2009, 10:46:52 pm »
Quote from Jess

*sigh*

Susie left Bettermost MONTHS ago (shortly after we had to edit the fan fic section ...shall I go into THAT Ms Susie??) now, IF I had in fact engaged in 'personal attacks' on the board and in pms...why would I have remained not just a member but a moderator?? that doesn't even make sense. But if it makes her feel better to lie about me, at least I know she is not out lying about someone else!! 

seeing HER buck is worth the quarter...buck, Susie, buck!!!

I do more to stimulate conversation than anyone ON Bettermost and I am not even there!

Phillip should pay me.....

I didn't think it would be long before I came under attack.... and of course I have no way of defending myself. 

I wasn't going to post this over here, I really don't want to get into another "well you're copying and pasting our posts too" war with anyone here.  But Brokeplex you asked me to trust you that there are no insults flying around over there, only constructive debate, and I think this demonstrates quite clearly that there are.... and not only insults but flat out lies. :-\

not sure what all that means other than Jess seems to feel that someone is not telling the truth. I haven't talked to her about her post, I've been hiking in the mountains and haven't paid much attention this week to the internet. I can't see that you are "insulted" by her post, but that may be in the eye of the beholder. It is probably just a tempest in someone's tea pot and won't matter much in a week anyway.

but one thing that Jess said rings true, she does stimulate conversations.

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #177 on: July 29, 2009, 10:56:54 pm »
:o  Gasp!  :o  That is one heck of a mighty HUGE sweeping statement you've made there!

"Universal fact"  ???

"Most men"  ???

"All cultures"  ???

yep, universal, most, or all you can take your pick or not - the plain fact is most men become contemptuous rather quickly of other men who frequently whine and complain. that seems to cross cultural boundaries. that doesn't mean that smaller subgroups of men don't find comfort in bitching, whining and complaining to and about each other. its just most men find men who are quick to shout "I am so offended and hurt" to be a bit ridiculous. 

but to each his own, so those who enjoy whining, enjoy it!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #178 on: July 29, 2009, 10:57:39 pm »
How wonderful that you are hiking in the mountains, brokeplex! Sounds heavenly! I hope you didn't run into enni grizzlies out there and stayed dry enuff!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #179 on: July 29, 2009, 11:30:14 pm »
How wonderful that you are hiking in the mountains, brokeplex! Sounds heavenly! I hope you didn't run into enni grizzlies out there and stayed dry enuff!!

no grizzlies! but we had a large cat - maybe a mountain lion who came up to the cabin decided to get into some trash that dusty forgot to burn. I notice from the tell tale muddy paw prints on the porch that he has been back - maybe I should put out a big saucer of milk?  :laugh: