Author Topic: This got me excited, and then...!  (Read 8380 times)

rtprod

Re: This got me excited, and then...!
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2006, 07:50:03 pm »
Yes, of course we saw the "director's cut" so let's not all get "brokeback purist" here.  ;D   I may be the only one who would like to see additional scenes and deleted material here, but I'm guessing that just might not be the case. 
However, the term "director's cut" does come into play very often when films are released on DVD and for good reason--the theatrical run is complete and the movie publicity machine rules are no longer in play.  No director in the world, including Ang Lee, will ever say when his or her film is in release that it is not the director's cut that they are less than 100% happy with the theatrical cut.  Oliver Stone is a great example of this, who believes that film is a constantly evolving medium and continually revises cuts for DVDs, countries, demographics, etc. 

Brandon -- agree the film is perfect as it is, but can't say I wouldn't like to see more of that closet scene as we all witnessed on the Independent Spirit Awards and the numerous other pieces we all know exist, at least in a supplementary section. 

Surf -- I love April Fool's Day and watched it yesterday.  A great line in the film from Deborah Foreman (Valley Girl):  "On a clear day, you can see the Kennedys..."

rt

dmmb_Mandy

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2006, 07:52:19 pm »
You're not the only one, rt. I'd LOVE to see deleted scenes.

What a cruel, cruel joke...  :'(

Offline littleguitar

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • She was always a lonely child...
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2006, 07:53:44 pm »
LOL  ;D ok, they got me... when I read that line though about a happy ending I almost flipped! I mean, I would like it if Jack didn't die but I was still going to be really really upset if they changed the ending! This movie is just perfect the way it is.  I want deleted scenes but I want them on the special features...
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

-- del Mar Painting, Ch. 48 by b73

Surf

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2006, 07:55:22 pm »
Yes, of course we saw the "director's cut" so let's not all get "brokeback purist" here.  ;D   I may be the only one who would like to see additional scenes and deleted material here, but I'm guessing that just might not be the case. 
However, the term "director's cut" does come into play very often when films are released on DVD and for good reason--the theatrical run is complete and the movie publicity machine rules are no longer in play.  No director in the world, including Ang Lee, will ever say when his or her film is in release that it is not the director's cut that they are less than 100% happy with the theatrical cut.  Oliver Stone is a great example of this, who believes that film is a constantly evolving medium and continually revises cuts for DVDs, countries, demographics, etc. 

Brandon -- agree the film is perfect as it is, but can't say I wouldn't like to see more of that closet scene as we all witnessed on the Independent Spirit Awards and the numerous other pieces we all know exist, at least in a supplementary section. 

Surf -- I love April Fool's Day and watched it yesterday.  A great line in the film from Deborah Foreman (Valley Girl):  "On a clear day, you can see the Kennedys..."

rt

I have no problems seeing deleted material...as long as it's kept deleted.  What was shown in theatres was Ang's compplete and final vision and nothing less, he was under no pressure or influence when it came down to the final cut.  What Oliver Stone does is ridiculous.  It's like he can't make up his mind and it just undermines his work, like he has no integrity.

EnnisDelMar

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2006, 08:02:52 pm »

rt

I have no problems seeing deleted material...as long as it's kept deleted.  What was shown in theatres was Ang's compplete and final vision and nothing less, he was under no pressure or influence when it came down to the final cut.  What Oliver Stone does is ridiculous.  It's like he can't make up his mind and it just undermines his work, like he has no integrity.

Exactly.

rtprod

« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2006, 08:14:02 pm »
Not really true or fair in every case regarding Oliver Stone. 

He hit a speed bump with Alexander and backpeddled for reasons that were highly questionable.  When the theatrical cut was released, he was very happy with it and said to the press that it was his cut.  Then, shortly after the audience and critical debacle, he admitted (or changed his mind, maybe?) that the theatrical cut was not what he had wanted for the film--hence my point.  However it's not correct to throw the baby out with the bathwater as the director's cut of Natural Born Killers adds meaning and is more powerful than the theatrical cut. 

Surf, you seem so surly lately--first the Ian McKellen insult thing and now on the defensive over Ang Lee's vision, which we all hail as masterful and divides no one on the board. 

Asking a friendly "what gives," anyway?

rt

Surf

« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2006, 08:37:53 pm »
Not really true or fair in every case regarding Oliver Stone. 

He hit a speed bump with Alexander and backpeddled for reasons that were highly questionable.  When the theatrical cut was released, he was very happy with it and said to the press that it was his cut.  Then, shortly after the audience and critical debacle, he admitted (or changed his mind, maybe?) that the theatrical cut was not what he had wanted for the film--hence my point.  However it's not correct to throw the baby out with the bathwater as the director's cut of Natural Born Killers adds meaning and is more powerful than the theatrical cut. 

Surf, you seem so surly lately--first the Ian McKellen insult thing and now on the defensive over Ang Lee's vision, which we all hail as masterful and divides no one on the board. 

Asking a friendly "what gives," anyway?

rt

Okay we need to go to private message again. But as far as Ang Lee, who's divided? I just get annoyed when people suggest that there is going to be some new "directors cut" or that Ang Lee "really may not be happy with his cut because he would never say while the film is in theatrical release"  Come on, that's utter hogwash, and that is why I get annoyed!!!! Listen to Ang in interviews, he says what he means and he means what he says.

Oliver Stone:  it's one thing to do a directors cut becuase you were limited by studio/business concerns the first time around.. It's another to re-edit over and over and say "my films are constantly evolving"  that's ridiculous.  To edit them for different demographics? For different countries?  Have one vision, man, that's all I ask.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2006, 08:53:54 pm by Surf »

Offline Chanterais

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2006, 09:25:26 pm »
Adriana punches her computer screen, then collapses in enraged sobs

I realize I may be taking this too hard, but I am so sad that this isn't true.  I feel considerably peeved that Focus is giving us some shoddy little DVD with practically no extras.  Not even a commentary!  I don't mean to belabour the point, but even Memoirs of a Geisha is issuing a Special Edition.  Surely it would be profitable to issue one for Brokeback?

I want my commentary!  I want my deleted scenes!  I'm about ready to start a petition asking Focus to issue us with the goodies we've been waiting so patiently for.  We deserve our extras!

Everyone watches in frank amazement as mild-mannered Adriana morphs into the Hulk(ess) and charges down the street, ripping up trees and small buildings along the way.  James Schamus cowers and quakes, and gives in immediately, begging for forgiveness.

Oh, if only.....

Surf

« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2006, 09:30:34 pm »

I realize I may be taking this too hard, but I am so sad that this isn't true.  I feel considerably peeved that Focus is giving us some shoddy little DVD with practically no extras.  Not even a commentary!  I don't mean to belabour the point, but even Memoirs of a Geisha is issuing a Special Edition.  Surely it would be profitable to issue one for Brokeback?

I want my commentary!  I want my deleted scenes!  I'm about ready to start a petition asking Focus to issue us with the goodies we've been waiting so patiently for.  We deserve our extras!

Everyone watches in frank amazement as mild-mannered Adriana morphs into the Hulk(ess) and charges down the street, ripping up trees and small buildings along the way.  James Schamus cowers and quakes, and gives in immediately, begging for forgiveness.

Oh, if only.....

Chanterais, have faith and be patient, I would bet my bottom dollar a deluxe special edition of this film is coming on DVD with multiple commentaries, deleted scenes, better behind the scenes stuff and maybe even (I would hope) a featurette about Gustavo composing and writing the score.   Either Focus/Universal will do this or hell maybe even Criterion, although I think Focus/Universal is more likely.  I will be one of the first to order it.

vkm91941

« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2006, 09:31:16 pm »

ROFLOL at Hulk-essYou go Girl,  I'll happily sign that petition!