Author Topic: JGL JGL JGL (a thread for Joseph Gordon-Levitt)  (Read 119485 times)

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: JGL JGL JGL (a thread for Joseph Gordon-Levitt)
« Reply #130 on: September 30, 2011, 08:23:42 pm »

Thanks for this Tru.  I love him.  He was absolutely spectacular the other

night on Jimmy Fallon.  It was wonderful, and he was totally in sync with

Jimmy on the conversations and the games....  **** four stars

Beautiful mind

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #131 on: September 30, 2011, 09:28:14 pm »
My local paper gave 50/50 3.5 out of 4 stars -- very promising!

In other Brokie news, though, Anna Faris' new movie, What's Your Number? did not fare as well: 1 star.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #132 on: September 30, 2011, 10:43:48 pm »
In other Brokie news, though, Anna Faris' new movie, What's Your Number? did not fare as well: 1 star.

Chris Evans is also in it, though, so it can't be all bad.  ;)  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #133 on: October 01, 2011, 02:16:02 am »
   Warning... slight spoiler alerts here.  Don't want to know any info..leave now.

I went to see the new JGL movie "5050" this evening.  I Loved It.  It  was particularly striking to me, because I had just dealt with health issues.  It was a pretty scathing indictment on the medical profession.  It shows how they treat many patients like they are simply statistics and case files.  Telling a patient he has serious cancer, by talking into a file, and the man only finds out he has something deadly by being accidentally exposed to Dr. talk.  It is so reminiscent  of my own time in the hospital.
  It is sad, funny, and very unfunny at the same time.  As is the entire movie.

Joseph G Levitt and Seth Rogan were great.  Anna Kendrick was wonderful as well.
  Brice Dallas Howard, too as the unworthy girlfriend was truly believable.  All in
  all I highly recommend seeing it.   Enjoy. 

Beautiful mind

Offline Sophia

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Your elbows, try to lick them
« Reply #134 on: October 01, 2011, 06:14:08 am »

It's as close as you can get to a Heathlike experience: one actor who looks like him, and another actor who sounds (a little) like him.

you are right.... I can definitely hear that.

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #135 on: October 01, 2011, 06:59:58 am »

I just reread this whole thread.

Imagine my surprise about the above quoted.
I never knew there was an English version of Major Tom, or that anyone outside of Germany actually knew the song! :o
I really disliked NDW* when it happened, and still dislike it today. But Major Tom was one of the few songs from it I did like.

*NDW = Neue Deutsche Welle (literally: new German wave ::)). A flood of German singing popstars with incredibly stupid songs and lyrics, which were suddenly totally hip in the 80ies. But then, I never liked the 80ies too much anyway. I boycotted the attire, I boycotted the hair, and for a good deal also the music. I was a teenager and simply against anything others liked, lol. I was the girl who never missed a chance for strife.

Ha!

(I wonder if Amanda knows about this??)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Schilling

Peter Schilling (born Pierre Michael Schilling on January 28, 1956, Stuttgart, Germany)[1] is a German synthpop musician whose songs often feature science-fiction themes (aliens, astronauts, nuclear holocaust, etc.). His 1983 album, Error in the System,  generated his only international hit single, "Major Tom (Coming Home)", a retelling of David Bowie's classic 1969 song "Space Oddity".[1] Although the song was originally recorded in German, the international hit version was sung in English. The song was recently featured in an episode of the fourth season of Breaking Bad.  (And etc.)

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEG7OzvSMBA[/youtube]

"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline Marina

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #136 on: October 01, 2011, 09:24:42 am »
Hi Penthesilea and all,

Yes, I was a bit of a New Waver back in the 80s, at least musically!  :)   I wasn't very familar with the NDW artists, but had heard a few.   Pete Schilling was one, thankfully.  I heard this song in its original and German versions on my favorite alternative radio station, and fell in love with both.  I've loved it ever since.   The refrain has such a shimmering quality (a great song for driving!) and a great ending, and I love hearing "earth" in German.  And what a creative idea, continuing Bowie's Major Tom story.   I love languages, not fluent in any except hopefully English, but I love them, and music.

Thanks for the Fresh Air interview with Joseph and Will Reiser, very enjoyable.  I was surprised when the interviewer asked Joe about his brother's death so directly, but he handled it with grace.   I really like Joe as an actor, a lot.  Hoping to see 50/50 this weekend.  It's getting wonderful reviews!

Anyway, here's my fave version of the song, auf Deutsch:

[youtube=425,350]<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="
&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></embed></object>[/youtube]
“Only within the moment of time represented by the present century has one species -- man -- acquired significant power to alter the nature of his world.”
~Rachel Carson~

~Looking back on it, they both realized it was the best thing they ever had.~  - A Mother's Love

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #137 on: October 01, 2011, 09:44:46 am »
Yeah, I knew about the Bowie connection.

50/50 doesn't have a release date for Germany. Also Hesher still doesn't have one. Ah well, one day I'll see them.

Re the Major Tom vid:
 :laugh: Just the other day I talked with John about the 80ies in another thread. They were a crime, outfit-wise. :laugh:

Offline Marina

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #138 on: October 01, 2011, 09:53:18 am »
They were a crime, outfit-wise.

Were they ever!  :)

I saw Hesher and I couldn't believe how good it was - hope you'll get it soon.

One thing I haven't seen and would love to is Mysterious Skin - from the brief clips I have seen, Joseph's character is magnetic in it.   I liked the soundtrack too.   Very haunting.
“Only within the moment of time represented by the present century has one species -- man -- acquired significant power to alter the nature of his world.”
~Rachel Carson~

~Looking back on it, they both realized it was the best thing they ever had.~  - A Mother's Love

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #139 on: October 01, 2011, 10:06:11 am »
Thanks, Marina! I was hoping someone would post the German version.

I like the song, but never realized it came in German or was connected to "Space Oddity." Wunderbar!