Author Topic: Brokeback Mountain's "heftiest emotional moment"  (Read 11125 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: Brokeback Mountain's "heftiest emotional moment"
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2011, 08:34:55 pm »
I always had the impression that he walked from the post office to the nearest phone booth immediately.

Me, too, at least in the film. I blush to admit that it's been a while--a long while--but my memory is that we see him sorting through his mail, he finds the post card, and he walks across the street to the phone booth.

But it's been a while. ...  ::)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline chowhound

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2011, 10:54:25 pm »
Me, too, at least in the film. I blush to admit that it's been a while--a long while--but my memory is that we see him sorting through his mail, he finds the post card, and he walks across the street to the phone booth.

But it's been a while. ...  ::)

Certainly this is the impression left by the movie. I've just checked Striped Wall and one other site and the sequence of shots goes as follows:

1. Shot of "deceased" postcard.

2. Shot of phone ringing in Lureen's house.

3. Shot of Lureen answering the phone.

4. Shot of Ennis in phone booth with phone to his ear.

I can see that theoretically you can insert a time gap of whatever length you want between shot 1 and shot 2. However, that's not how the patterning of those shots come over to me.

As well, if Ennis is in a state of denial, then he would want that denial confirmed as soon as possible by hearing Jack's voice at the end of the line.

Quite how Ennis knows Jack's number in Texas is another - somewhat frivolous - question. Maybe, like Jack, it's something he kept in his head.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2011, 04:31:00 am »
In the movie, Ennis goes straight from the post office to the phone booth, which is just across the street:

The post office before Ennis goes in. It's a low building with a dark red color. Notice also the windows and flag pole.

Ennis comes out, sorths through his mail and stops dead. Across the post office is the JT's bar, and a phone booth to the left. This is the moment when Ennis sees the Deceased stamp. (A second later, WE see the Deceased stamp.)

Ennis in the booth. Look over his right shoulder. You can see the red post office building and even the US flag on its diagonal, short pole.

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2011, 04:37:11 am »
How does it work in the US? Can you call an operator that connects you if you have personĀ“s name and address?

(good work there, Chrissie :-*)

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2011, 08:05:24 am »
Inspector Chrissi has solved the case!  :D

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2011, 10:26:20 am »
Excellent sleuthing, everyone!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2011, 10:28:20 am »
Thank you, everyone. :)

Offline Mandy21

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2011, 03:34:37 pm »
Good job sleuthing, Chrissi.  I thought that was how it went -- that no time had passed, and he went straight from post office to phone booth.  I also appreciate the insight from RouxB and Chowhound that Ennis's shock and denial could explain how he could immediately get on the phone to his lover's wife within minutes.  Interesting perspectives to ponder.
Dawn is coming,
Open your eyes...

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2011, 04:46:19 pm »

Great thread Buds!

And, good work Chrissi.  As always, those background details are so important in BBM. ;D

I think the words "heftiest" and "wallop" are interesting.  The "hefty" implies solemn or sad to me.  But, there are definitely positive emotional wallops in the movie too.

I agree that the reunion kiss is probably the most powerful *positive* emotional moment in the movie.  It's just filled with raw, happy emotion... and it's as close to equal for Ennis and Jack as it probably ever gets in BBM.  I think TS2 is a close runner-up for the most important positive emotional moment.

And, to me the most powerful sad emotional wallop is Ennis discovering the shirts in Jack's bedroom.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie