• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • There's no reins on this one....
Re: 1963
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2013, 06:03:03 pm »
Saw this today:

50th Anniversary of Woolworth's Sit-in Recalled

By EMILY WAGSTER PETTUS Associated Press

JACKSON, Miss. May 27, 2013 (AP)

Mississippi will inaugurate a marker Tuesday recalling a civil rights protest 50 years ago when a white mob attacked a racially mixed group seated at a whites-only lunch counter.
Civil Rights Mississippi .JPEG

On May 28, 1963, the mob attacked some Tougaloo College students and faculty members who opposed segregation by sitting at the whites-only counter at a Woolworth's five-and-dime store in Jackson. Some of the peaceful demonstrators were beaten. Others were doused with ketchup, mustard and sugar.

The marker is part of the Mississippi Freedom Trail, a series of signs honoring those who challenged segregation. The sit-in was similar to other protests around the South and occurred two weeks before Mississippi NAACP leader Medgar Evers was assassinated in Jackson.

The Woolworth's, which was located on a downtown Jackson street, closed decades ago.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/50th-anniversary-woolworths-sit-recalled-19265918#.UaPXOtiwVAA
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2013, 06:28:04 pm »
Here's a page full of photojournalism from 1963 (it says "the world in 1963," but the POV is pretty US-centric, I'm afraid). It should dispel any notions anyone has (not here, but I've heard this kind of thing expressed elsewhere) that the early '60s were idyllic and peaceful.

http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2013/02/50-years-ago-the-world-in-1963/100460/

I just scrolled through these pictures, and there are some really great ones among them. Thanks, Katherine.  I'd forgotten just how much was going on that year.  My favorite is the picture of men on the NY subway, still dressing in suits, trench coats and hats!

Here's the preface:

A half century ago, much of the news in the United States was dominated by the actions of civil rights activists and those who opposed them. Our role in Vietnam was steadily growing, along with the costs of that involvement. It was the year Beatlemania began, and the year President John F. Kennedy visited West Berlin and delivered his famous "Ich bin ein Berliner" speech. Push-button telephones were introduced, 1st class postage cost 5 cents, and the population of the world was 3.2 billion, less than half of what it is today. The final months of 1963 were punctuated by one of the most tragic events in American history, the assassination of President Kennedy in Dallas, Texas.
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2013, 07:04:27 pm »
And Meryl, your sig line--"ich bin ein brokie"--echoes that other famous line from 1963.

1963 is my birth year, so I've always paid attention to it.  My best friend was at that famous gathering in DC with Martin Luther King, and has wonderful memories of it. 

I'm celebrating my 50th right along with Jack and Ennis!

We commemorated the sinking of the Thresher back in April, and are coming up on J&E's first meeting. 

How cool to think about that auspicious summer of '63.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2013, 07:34:23 pm »
 My favorite is the picture of men on the NY subway, still dressing in suits, trench coats and hats!

And almost all men.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2013, 07:37:41 pm »
and I still haven't noticed anything from 1963.  LOL

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2013, 12:52:17 am »
And Meryl, your sig line--"ich bin ein brokie"--echoes that other famous line from 1963.

1963 is my birth year, so I've always paid attention to it.  My best friend was at that famous gathering in DC with Martin Luther King, and has wonderful memories of it. 

I'm celebrating my 50th right along with Jack and Ennis!

We commemorated the sinking of the Thresher back in April, and are coming up on J&E's first meeting. 

How cool to think about that auspicious summer of '63.

You're right, Paul, about my sig.  I had no idea when I chose it that it represented the year Jack and Ennis went up the mountain as well.  8)

Lots of auspiciousness going on this year!  I hope you have something special planned for your 50th.  8)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2013, 03:14:58 pm »
August 28, 2013.  The 50th anniversary of the March on Washington in 1963, and I am listening to Barack Obama, our first African-American President, begin his speech at the Lincoln Memorial.  I'm so glad to be alive to see this day.  By the 100th anniversary, what will our country be like?  Will it hardly matter what the race of the President is?  I hope so.  May the dream of Martin Luther King be realized fully and our country continue to grow in understanding and goodwill.  :-*
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2013, 03:20:34 pm »
Maybe we'll have a gay president by then.  ;D

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2013, 03:35:08 pm »
Maybe we'll have a gay president by then.  ;D

We have already had a gay president, haven't we??
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2013, 04:00:48 pm »
We have already had a gay president, haven't we??

Are you referring to James Buchanan?