Author Topic: Free Fall - Freier Fall  (Read 1101076 times)

Offline mariska

• Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: Free Fall - Freier Fall
« Reply #490 on: May 22, 2014, 02:08:43 pm »
Hey guys, it's been really interesting reading your opinions on the movie, I read through this thread in a couple of days. I was really happy to find it because I first saw the movie back in like November, the DAY the first torrent with English subtitles came out. I have watched it so many times since, and have never found anywhere there was really in-depth conversation going on about it until now. There is so much I could reply to in these 49 pages but these were the things that stick in my mind now after finishing the thread.

Hi, welcome. Good that you found this forum and yes, interesting points you brought up.
Nice to hear that you liked the movie as much as we did (I watched it very often too).
It is really interesting to read several opinions and to think about it and sometimes it makes you look at things diffently.
And Nancy is the one who found the 6 deleted scenes  :).

Offline mariska

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #491 on: May 22, 2014, 02:26:09 pm »
The thing about the condom is weird. They obviously did not use a condom their first time. I thought, well maybe he was just like... rubbing up against him? But Kay's face was showing pain that was obviously meant to imply penetration was happening. And it made sense later to put that scene (with his mom finding the condom) in the context of his mom discovering them in the hospital, and her asking him how long it had been going on. She would have put two and two together, at that point (as well as the night shifts).

D
So you think Kays face was showing pain during the car scene. Interesting.
In an earlier post I wrote this:

You know, after hearing the audio comments and reading a lot of reviews, it's clear to me that using a lot of non-verbal language in a movie can be tricky. Not everyone interpretates that same.
For example the scene in the rain (the car): I read 3 different interpretations about the look at Kay's face:
- kay shows little emotion
- kay has a smug smile on his face as if he thought: I've won.
- Kay closes his eyes full of lust

Well, which one do you think?
I should say: a combination of the last two.

Nancy answered that he was also looking kind of amused.

Now we can add one to the list: in pain.
Funny all those different interpretations.

By the way...in the audio comments I heard that they got a lot of negative reactions on the fact that they didn't use a comdom.

Offline mariska

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #492 on: May 22, 2014, 02:48:32 pm »
I am definitely into both Jack & Ennis and Marc & Kay.  It's just that sometimes when I look at the collateral damage they cause, it's sad.

Very sad for all involved.

I just watched a part of "Die Deutscher Freund" with Max. It's not my kind of movie. And Max's hair! Awful. He looks so different with a nice short haircut.

Offline mariska

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #493 on: May 23, 2014, 07:34:42 am »

I don't think Kay pursued him SO aggressively for no reason--he knew that Marc had feelings for him.

I agree with you, he knew (in any case in that scene in the forest).
I have been thinking: Kay's first move was the cigaret-kiss scene. What was it that made Kay do that? I'm sure there must be a little thing that Marc did.
We see them in the pool together, making fun. No sign of other feelings than friendship. Next scene they are in the college room en they look at each other. And then the cigaret-kiss. Was it the look between them in the college room?

Or is it just a feeling, intuitive knowing?

Offline gattaca

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #494 on: May 23, 2014, 08:53:08 am »
You can't just build a life on lies.
I gues....if Kay would have been another woman....it would have been different. More threatening. Like Bettina said: I can't even be jealous.
Her not being jealous is in her mind.  Jealously is non discriminating V
How do you hide when you are running from yourself?

Offline mariska

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #495 on: May 23, 2014, 09:31:39 am »
Her not being jealous is in her mind.  Jealously is non discriminating V

Depends on how you look at it. Another woman is like: what does she have that I don't. If it concerns another man, that's obvious. You don't have to worry about "being not good enough as a woman". As a woman you can't compete with another man. I think that's what bettina meant.

Offline morrobay

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #496 on: May 23, 2014, 11:52:52 am »

I just watched a part of "Die Deutscher Freund" with Max. It's not my kind of movie. And Max's hair! Awful. He looks so different with a nice short haircut.

The longer hair makes him look very young.

"Do you mind if I smoke?"
"I don't care if you shoot up."

Offline morrobay

« Reply #497 on: May 23, 2014, 11:55:40 am »
Yeah, no.

Offline morrobay

« Reply #498 on: May 23, 2014, 12:14:28 pm »
Hi Mariska,
Have you seen the TV movie "Blood Money"?  I don't know if German TV is shown in the Netherlands.

I copied this from google translate, so hope is all correct.

After a key role as the mysterious fisherman in the mystery thriller "Thou hast promised" plays Riemelt another exceptional starring in the award-winning drama "Free Fall" (2013) he impressed as a gay cop who begins a relationship with a married colleague. Positive reviews also got inspired by real events teleplay "Blood Money" in which Riemelt embodies a hemophiliac who become infected in the 1980s by a contaminated blood products with HIV

ETA the German version

Nach einer Schlüsselrolle als geheimnisvoller Fischer in dem Mysterythriller "Du hast es versprochen" spielt Riemelt eine weitere außergewöhnliche Hauptrolle: In dem preisgekrönten Drama "Freier Fall" (2013) beeindruckt er als schwuler Polizist, der eine Beziehung mit einem verheirateten Kollegen beginnt. Positive Kritiken erhielt auch das von realen Ereignissen inspirierte Fernsehspiel "Blutgeld", in dem Riemelt einen Bluter verkörpert, der sich in den 1980er Jahren durch eine verseuchte Blutkonserve mit HIV infiziert

Offline morrobay

« Reply #499 on: May 23, 2014, 12:17:41 pm »
I agree with you, he knew (in any case in that scene in the forest).
I have been thinking: Kay's first move was the cigaret-kiss scene. What was it that made Kay do that? I'm sure there must be a little thing that Marc did.
We see them in the pool together, making fun. No sign of other feelings than friendship. Next scene they are in the college room en they look at each other. And then the cigaret-kiss. Was it the look between them in the college room?

Or is it just a feeling, intuitive knowing?

Great question.  Vincent said most straight guys would probably have punched Kay for that kiss.  So what did he see in Marc that led him to think it was ok?