Author Topic: the big request for HELP from Russia!  (Read 47579 times)

Offline JackFromMoscow

• Jr. Ranch Hand
    • My VK profile.
the big request for HELP from Russia!
« on: January 17, 2015, 09:22:10 pm »
Hey everybody!

UPD: Guys, with all these twitters and his 140-simbols messages, maybe these are very big posts. so saving your time, I need help with translation into russian. There are quotes in the second post below, so you could go straight there. Write down the number of quote/quotes you've chosen; short Yes or No would help! Thank you.
P.S. In this very post I'm explaining this unsatisfactory situation about russian varian of BB.

First I want to say how I feel about Brokeback Mountain. Well, in fact, my first time I watched it just turned my whole life upside down! This movie has split my life to before and after it. I just couldn't imagine there is a movie like Brokeback Mountain. I'm serious, I never used to cry watching any movies. But this one... I can't exlain my reaction even to myself!Well, I'm sure there are loads of good words about the movie, so I think I wouldn't say anything new. The fact is, I'm going to record my own version of russian dialogues of the Brokeback Mountain, you know — the voiceover. (By the way, my English is not perfect, sorry for that) I'll explain, why I need this. My opinion is that the russian dubbing is really awful. I'm not saying about its quality or how had the voice actors done, it is pretty good. There's another problem there. It is the translation into Russian.
Of course, any transation just can NOT be really identical to the original. Such things as wordplay, some jokes, and the meanings of somewhat that doesn't exist in other cultures are often just impossible to transalte into other language. And that's a movie we are talking about! If one translates a book, for example, he's got all the pages and words to explain something that doesn't exist in his country, but when translating movie dialogues, there another problem appears: necessity of all the phrases to be the same lenght as they are in original language. Besides, first, russian speech is pretty slower than english's, and second, our words are commonly contain more letters in them.
For example, when Jack is going to ride a bull on the rodeo, Announcer says: "Jack's onboard Sleepy today! Let's hope he's not!" — This nice joke is pretty funny but very hard to translate, 'cause word-to-word translation seems not to sound very good in russian.
So of course Russian version of Brokeback Mountain should be a little different to the original one because of language differences. But there's no forgiveness for those who changes the sence (meaning) of the phrases without any necessity! When I compared russian and english variants of the dialogues, I was just shocked! Our translators just turned almost every word upside down!
I won't write all the disparities down here, believe me, there are loads of them. I'll write down just the one which made me shocked mostly. The last words of the movie:
"Jack... I swear...".
What do you think the russians hear?
Russian variant (translated into English) is: "Jack... I remember you...".
So... Look. Here's "I swear" in Russian: "Я клянусь". When speaking, it sounds just as long as english phrase. Even Я клянусь тебе (I swear to you), which sounds a bit better here, has not the inadmissible lenght for dubbing.
So why, WHY have they done this?! Annie Proulx once said in an interview: "This movie has no ending, in fact: every watcher should end it in his own head for himself" (It's not an accurate quote, of course, and sorry for my poor English again). What does that mean? It means that everyone should find out what exactly does Ennis swears about... just on his own! (I mean, for example, he swears he loves him, or he swears that he's going to spare more time with the darling people (for the moment, I s'pose the last one is quite right)). So those dubbers didn't give an opportunity to the watchers just understand what is this movie really about. And this is really sad. Because it's not the only mistake in russian version.
There are loads of such little missings of sencess such as next one (The last one I'm going to write down, as an example). When Jack and Ennis are doing those preparings to move to Brokeback Mountian, Jack rides a hores which starts to spin and jump. Ennis is telling Jack that he should be more careful riding this horse, and Jack's answer: "Doubt there's a one that could throw me". It means he is sure of his abilyties, he knows he's a good rider. In Russian version Ennis is saying to be careful as well as in english version, but Jack's answer is different: "C'mon, do your preparings faster, or the horse'll throw me". It means, Jack is worried that the horse could really throw him. I don't know, why did they translate this phrase wrong.
That is why I'm going to voice this movie over. And share the recording via torrent trackers, of course.
And I want really good translation. I need help with this.
As you could notice, my English is not as good as I want it to be. So there are many phrases I can't understand without rephrasing.
So I'm just going to write all the phrases I'm not able to understand and you, guys, please, just write it in other words.
Of course, a single person shouldn't help with all the phrases I've written below. I'll be happy if someone would write the number of a phrase and say short "yes" or "no".
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 10:44:54 am by JackFromMoscow »
An unsatisfactory situation with translation into Russian.

Offline JackFromMoscow

• Jr. Ranch Hand
    • My VK profile.
Re: great request for HELP from Russian fan!
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2015, 09:23:02 pm »
1) - DONE
Jack: Your folks run you off?
Ennis: No, they run themselves off. There was one curve in the road in 43 miles, and they miss it. So the bank took the ranch and my brother and sister, they raised me, mostly.
Well, guys, I cannot understand just one thing. What on earth could this mean -- "They run themselves off". You know, speaking about Ennis, it sounds like "his parents made him leave the home". But speaking about parents?? I just hope it means they just HAD to leave for some reason. Or, maybe, Ennis talking about their death here? I'm sorry, guys,  I've just been looking for russian translation of this idiom and it seems, ahem, a bit strange, you know. I hope I just misunderstandig this. And I am also not sure about the meaning of "curve" - what exactly is it?. And they missed it - because of bank, isn't it? Isn't it kind of being bankrupt?

2)
Ennis: Well, I don't eat soup. ** You wanna watch it there. That horse has a low startle point.
low startle point - there are two meanings in the dictionary, first is that horse is fearful and second - that she's wild or agressive a bit. Which meaning is the best?

3)
Jack: Let's git, unless you wanna sit around tying knots all day
let's git - in fact, I saw "git" is a kind of bad guy or something, so for sure it's not what I need here. maybe it is dialect form of "get"? Can I translate it as "Be hurry" or "let's do it faster"?

4)
Jack: Shit, that stay with the sheep, no fire bullshit, Aguirre got no right making us do something against the rules.
it means, that all this rules are impossible to follow, doesn't it?

5)
Basque: Too early in the summer to be sick of beans.
I suppose that this phrase (or at least its first part - too early in the summer) is an idiom. Right? Because Basque is kind of sneering there, you know. In Russian version he says, "O-oh, how soft (or, better, delicate) we are." (It's Russian "sneering" thing -- sayings like "Oh how [adjective] we are" and it means "You" instaed We, "We" in such situations adds more sarcasm)

6)
[Ennis shots an elk] Ennis: Getting tired of your dumb-ass missing.
Jack: What? Let's get a move on. Don't want the Game and Fish to catch us with no elk.
I saw that Game and Fish is kind of organisation of Wyoming that controls underlaw hunting. Is that right? so can i translate it like this: organisation controls underlaw hunting? of course, I got a much better russian wording than the one I have quoted, I just need you to understad me. And the second one right here: with no elk. I s'pose that's the dialect form and in fact it means "with this dead elk", right?

7)
Ennis: I mean, what's the point of riding some piece of stock for eight seconds?
 piece of stock. Can I change it into just "a bull"?

8)
Ennis: They did the best they could after my folks was gone
according to the first item, "to be gone" means to be dead in this context, right? Ennis's parents haven't just left their place to somewhere else, have they?

9)
Ennis: Speak for yourself. You may be a sinner, but I ain't yet had the opportunity.
"hadn't had the opportunity". It's not quite clear for me. How would you say it (in) the other way? In Russian version he says "Maybe you're a sinner, but I, being compared to you, am as innocent as a little child".

10)
Ennis: This is a one-shot thing we got going on here.
one-shot thing — may I translate this phrase as a thing that shouldn't happen again?

11)
Jack: (Saying goodbye to Ennis before their 4-iear separation) I might be back. If the Army don't get me.
So that's a good question for sitizens of US. How was it going with army and all at sixties? It was honor to join the army, wasn't it? I mean, here in Russia it is quite okay to avoid employment. And, what is important, we can avoid it only having kind of decease. And, you know, it is quite dangerous to join our army these days. There's big likelyhood of being killed there (not being sent to war but because of dedovshchina here (physical and psychological abuse of new recruits in the army -- term from the dictionary).

12)
Alma: There's a cheap place in Riverton, over the Laundromat. I bet I could fix it up real nice.
Fix up, as I see, means to repair or something; but it's quite strange for a woman to repair broken stuff or even repair the whole house, I mean something like having new furniture, or other maintenance works at one's place. I s'pose Alma talks about making house more comfortable and cosy, you know.

13)
Barman: You ever try calf roping?
Jack: Do I look like I can afford a f*cking roping horse?
I've read something about rodeo, and I found out what exactly is calf roping. But what is Jack talking about? Can't afford? He means, such horses are expensive? If yes, it means that a rider should have his own horse, yeah?

14)
Ennis: Alma, I can't afford not to be there when the heifers calve. Right, it'd be my job if I lose any of them.
"It would be my job if I lose any of them". It's not quite clear for me; in russian version he just says, "I would lose my job if I'm not there now". May I leave it as it is in russian dubbing?

15)
Alma: Hey, Ennis, you know somebody, name of Jack?
Ennis: Maybe around. Why?
"Maybe around". Ennis says this Jack could be someone around their place they live, right?

16)
Postcard: Friend, this letter is long over due. Coming through on the 24th...
Long over due. It means this postcard should have been (or being -- I'm not sure how to use Perfect Passive tenses) written really long ago and in fact it's not very good that it has come in very long four years after their last meeting, right?

17)
Jack: Right next summer, I drove back up to Brokeback...  Went down to Texas for rodeoing. That's how I met Lureen. Made $2,000 that year, bull riding. Nearly starved.
I don't understand this. If Jack had got 2000 dollars that year, why was he starving?

18)
Ennis: And the Army didn't get you?
Jack: No, too busted up. And rodeoing ain't what it was in my daddy's day. Got out while l could still walk.
There are two questions appears. First, as I asked, it seems that employment was obligatory, right? So Jack, having no problems with health, coudn't avoid army. And, second, what exactly does he mean saying that rodeo is not what it was earlier?

19)
Lureen: I thought you were gonna call.
Jack: I complain too much. That teacher don't like me.
Jack complains??? I hope there are different meanings of this word, because the dictionary's one is... well, strange a bit for Jack. Look, for example, children complain often when the other child takes their toys; or adults complain of having bad life not trying to change it. What exactly  is happening between Jack and Bobby's teacher?

20)
Jack: (To L.D., Lureen's father) ...and you are my guest. Now you sit down before I knock your ignorant ass into next week.
May I translate it just like "...before I throw you out of my house"?

21)
Alma: I'm going to yell for Monroe.
Ennis: You do it and I'll make you eat the f*cking floor.
Alma: Get out!
Ennis: And you, too!
It's not clear for me. Maybe my Subtitles are uncorrect, and Ennis says "I'll make HIM eat the f*cking floor" (and, then, "And you, too!", what is more logical)?

22)
Jack: So what we got now is Brokeback Mountain! Everything's built on that! That's all we got, boy. F*cking all. So I hope you know that, if you don't never know the rest!
The last sentence is not understandable for me. It seems for me like that: Jack hopes Ennis realises that they have nothing but BrokebackMountain, but all his Mexico deals are not important, anyway.

23)
Lureen: Well, he said it was his favorite place. I thought he meant to get drunk. He drank a lot.
What exactly does Lureen mean? That she thought Brokeback Mountain was the favourite place of Jack to get drunk?

24)
Jack’s father: ...He had some half-baked notion the two of you was gonna move up here, build a cabin, help run the place.
What exactly is half-baked notion? Some kind of idea, that you want to turn into life, but without proper planning, right?

25)
Jack’s mother: I kept his room * like it was when he was a boy. * I think he appreciated that. * You are welcome to go up to his room, if you want.
Well, guys. I have no any translation difficulties here. But I don't understand, what exactly Jack's mom means. "Like it was, when he was a boy"?? But wait a minute, Jack has visited them a couple months ago, and anyway, he's got their shirts there in his room -- and he wasn't BOY already, when he came down from Brokeback -- I mean, maybe she means that she never changed anything in his room ever?

26)
Alma Jr: Daddy, you need more furniture.
Ennis: Yeah, well, if you got nothing, you don't need nothing.
In Russian version Ennis says: "If you got nothing, you have nothing to lose". May I leave it like it is in dubbing? It sounds even better, for my opinion.

Oh, Jeez, guys. It takes really much time. I'm having really big work here. Tired very much. And speaking English is hard a bit for my brains =)
I hope that's it, but if there appears more questions, I'll write 'em down.
I really appreciate your help!
« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 01:03:48 pm by JackFromMoscow »

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2015, 10:27:15 pm »
Dear Jack from Moscow,
Awesome! that you're working to get a real translation of the movie!! Of course, we're glad to help! Ask away!

But first, want a cup of coffee, don't ya? Piece a cherry cake?  ;)
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline JackFromMoscow

• Jr. Ranch Hand
    • My VK profile.
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2015, 07:45:10 am »
But first, want a cup of coffee, don't ya? Piece a cherry cake?  ;)

Oh, you know. A coffee would be great, but cake... I can't eat it just right now.
I would have a piece but only after ending my translation work  ;)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2015, 10:42:33 am »
Excellent, JfM!

So, regarding your first question:

Ennis: No, they run themselves off. There was one curve in the road in 43 miles, and they miss it. So the bank took the ranch and my brother and sister, they raised me, mostly.
Well, guys, I cannot understand just one thing. What on earth could this mean -- "They run themselves off". You know, speaking about Ennis, it sounds like "his parents made him leave the home". But speaking about parents?? I just hope it means they just HAD to leave for some reason. Or, maybe, Ennis talking about their death here? I'm sorry, guys,  I've just been looking for russian translation of this idiom and it seems, ahem, a bit strange, you know. I hope I just misunderstandig this. And I am also not sure about the meaning of "curve" - what exactly is it?. And they missed it - because of bank, isn't it? Isn't it kind of being bankrupt?
It was common for poor rural people to make their children leave home as soon as they were grown enough to make their own way in the world. This was sometimes called "to run you off" as if to chase a child off the property. But, in the case of Ennis's parents, they "ran themselves off" by killing themselves in a car accident, presumably by missing a "curve" or bend in the road. With the breadwinners/mortgage-holders gone, the "bank took the ranch"--repossessed it.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline JackFromMoscow

• Jr. Ranch Hand
    • My VK profile.
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2015, 02:14:49 pm »
Excellent, JfM!

So, regarding your first question:
It was common for poor rural people to make their children leave home as soon as they were grown enough to make their own way in the world. This was sometimes called "to run you off" as if to chase a child off the property. But, in the case of Ennis's parents, they "ran themselves off" by killing themselves in a car accident, presumably by missing a "curve" or bend in the road. With the breadwinners/mortgage-holders gone, the "bank took the ranch"--repossessed it.
Oh thank you very much. Now I understood the meaning of "to miss the curve". There's no a single word about it in Russian dubbing. Ennis is just saying that the place he and his parents lived in, was empty and there was no soul on the nearest 40 miles.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2015, 02:53:14 pm »
Howdy, Jack!  (Nice name, by the way.) Ambitious project you got goin' here.  

I'm sure many of us would be happy to help out.  Be careful, we may not all agree!

1)
Well, guys, I cannot understand just one thing. What on earth could this mean -- "They run themselves off". You know, speaking about Ennis, it sounds like "his parents made him leave the home". But speaking about parents?? I just hope it means they just HAD to leave for some reason. Or, maybe, Ennis talking about their death here? I'm sorry, guys,  I've just been looking for russian translation of this idiom and it seems, ahem, a bit strange, you know. I hope I just misunderstandig this. And I am also not sure about the meaning of "curve" - what exactly is it?. And they missed it - because of bank, isn't it? Isn't it kind of being bankrupt?

Ennis is using a play on words.  "They run themselves off" means both 1) they left home; and 2)they literally ran off the road, missed the literal curve in the road, and died. It implies that the road was very straight, except for one bend.  

More to come,
southendmd/Paul

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2015, 02:57:54 pm »
2)
Ennis: Well, I don't eat soup. ** You wanna watch it there. That horse has a low startle point.
low startle point - there are two meanings in the dictionary, first is that horse is fearful and second - that she's wild or agressive a bit. Which meaning is the best?

I would say "low startle point" means a bit of both: it wouldn't take much to frighten her, and she could easily become aggressive (throw Jack).

3)
Jack: Let's git, unless you wanna sit around tying knots all day
let's git - in fact, I saw "git" is a kind of bad guy or something, so for sure it's not what I need here. maybe it is dialect form of "get"? Can I translate it as "Be hurry" or "let's do it faster"?

Yes, "git" is dialect for "get". So, you could say, "let's hurry".  

4)
Jack: Shit, that stay with the sheep, no fire bullshit, Aguirre got no right making us do something against the rules.
it means, that all this rules are impossible to follow, doesn't it?

It means that Aguirre's orders (pitching a tent up with the sheep) are technically illegal.  Not impossible, but maybe uncomfortable (sleeping without a fire so he doesn't get caught).

5)
Basque: Too early in the summer to be sick of beans.
I suppose that this phrase (or at least its first part - too early in the summer) is an idiom. Right? Because Basque is kind of sneering there, you know. In Russian version he says, "O-oh, how soft (or, better, delicate) we are." (It's Russian "sneering" thing -- sayings like "Oh how [adjective] we are" and it means "You" instaed We, "We" in such situations adds more sarcasm)

Yes, it's sarcastic, but the Basque is referring to "them/you".  Too early in the summer FOR YOU to be sick of beans.
The Basque is responding to Ennis's request for soup; he says to Ennis, "I thought you didn't like soup".  Ennis then makes an excuse: "I'm sick of beans"; (of course it's Jack who is sick of beans).  "Too early in the summer" is I think also literal:  he's saying that beans are cheap and you'll likely get more, because I'm not bringing you beefsteak!
There is also the "sneer" of don't be so fussy. 

6)
[Ennis shots an elk] Ennis: Getting tired of your dumb-ass missing.
Jack: What? Let's get a move on. Don't want the Game and Fish to catch us with no elk.
I saw that Game and Fish is kind of organisation of Wyoming that controls underlaw hunting. Is that right? so can i translate it like this: organisation controls underlaw hunting? of course, I got a much better russian wording than the one I have quoted, I just need you to understad me. And the second one right here: with no elk. I s'pose that's the dialect form and in fact it means "with this dead elk", right?

Yes, Game and Fish is the authority controlling hunting.  Underlaw?  Do you mean outlaw, illegal?
Yes, "with no elk" is dialect for "we don't want G&F to catch us with an elk", meaning this, dead, illegally hunted elk.

7)
Ennis: I mean, what's the point of riding some piece of stock for eight seconds?
 piece of stock. Can I change it into just "a bull"?

Yes.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2015, 03:32:42 pm »
8 )  Haha.  8 plus ) comes out 8)
Ennis: They did the best they could after my folks was gone
according to the first item, "to be gone" means to be dead in this context, right? Ennis's parents haven't just left their place to somewhere else, have they?

Yes, "was gone" here means "after my folks were dead".  

9)
Ennis: Speak for yourself. You may be a sinner, but I ain't yet had the opportunity.
"hadn't had the opportunity". It's not quite clear for me. How would you say it (in) the other way? In Russian version he says "Maybe you're a sinner, but I, being compared to you, am as innocent as a little child".

"as innocent as a little child" sounds very funny to me!  "Ain't yet had the opportunity" means "I have not had the chance to sin like you have".  Presumably they're talking about sex and Ennis is telling Jack he is a virgin.

10)
Ennis: This is a one-shot thing we got going on here.
one-shot thing — may I translate this phrase as a thing that shouldn't happen again?

This one is a bit controversial.  "One-shot thing" means "once only", "one time only".  
However, it's not clear that he is saying "it shouldn't happen again".  The rest of the sentence, "we got going on here" implies that it might keep on happening. He's using the present tense.  (Not "a one-shot thing we did".)  To me, the "one-shot thing" refers to the whole arrangement this summer.

11)
Jack: (Saying goodbye to Ennis before their 4-iear separation) I might be back. If the Army don't get me.
So that's a good question for sitizens of US. How was it going with army and all at sixties? It was honor to join the army, wasn't it? I mean, here in Russia it is quite okay to avoid employment. And, what is important, we can avoid it only having kind of decease. And, you know, it is quite dangerous to join our army these days. There's big likelyhood of being killed there (not being sent to war but because of dedovshchina here (physical and psychological abuse of new recruits in the army -- term from the dictionary).

Oh boy.  The Vietnam war was very controversial, even as early as 1963.  I'm sure some men thought it was an honor to join the military, but not to "avoid employment".  However, Jack is talking about the draft/conscription, when he refers to the army "getting" him.  Many men of the time wanted to avoid getting drafted; the fear of getting killed in Vietnam was high.  And many people were strongly against the war. 

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2015, 03:58:27 pm »
12)
Alma: There's a cheap place in Riverton, over the Laundromat. I bet I could fix it up real nice.
Fix up, as I see, means to repair or something; but it's quite strange for a woman to repair broken stuff or even repair the whole house, I mean something like having new furniture, or other maintenance works at one's place. I s'pose Alma talks about making house more comfortable and cosy, you know.

Yes.  "Fix it up" here means to decorate the house to make it comfortable and cozy, as you say.  

13)
Barman: You ever try calf roping?
Jack: Do I look like I can afford a f*cking roping horse?
I've read something about rodeo, and I found out what exactly is calf roping. But what is Jack talking about? Can't afford? He means, such horses are expensive? If yes, it means that a rider should have his own horse, yeah?

I think you're right.  (I don't know that much about rodeo-ing.)  I suppose calf roping requires a lot of training and bonding between the rider and his horse.  

14)
Ennis: Alma, I can't afford not to be there when the heifers calve. Right, it'd be my job if I lose any of them.
"It would be my job if I lose any of them". It's not quite clear for me; in russian version he just says, "I would lose my job if I'm not there now". May I leave it as it is in russian dubbing?

Sounds good.  "It would be my job" means "I would lose my job".  "If I lose any of them" refers to losing the heifers and/or calves, if he were not there now.

15)
Alma: Hey, Ennis, you know somebody, name of Jack?
Ennis: Maybe around. Why?
"Maybe around". Ennis says this Jack could be someone around their place they live, right?

First of all, Story to Screenplay has Ennis's line as: "I might.  Why?"  Not sure where "maybe around" came from?
However, "maybe around" is a vague answer that also means "I might" know someone named Jack, from around somewhere in his life, not necessarily around their place.  

More later.  This is fun!