Author Topic: David's Exclusive 2000 Posts Or Less Club  (Read 381685 times)

injest

Re: David's Exclusive 2000 Posts Or Less Club
« Reply #490 on: February 16, 2007, 07:22:23 pm »
Well that's good David,  Better to be safe than sorry. Some people pop them all day long cause after awhile they need more for the same effect. Just like Jess said.     The big problem with vicoden  besides being so addictive is the dangers of interactions with other drugs.  Even some cold medicines taken with Vicoden can be dangerous. I'm not too big on pain medicine in general.
 It takes allot for me to even pop a Tylenol. But I have not ever suffered with a bad back so who knows what I would be willing to take for that kinda pain.

but Geri studies show that being in pain can cause severe emotional and social problems and lead to further illness and injury (usually from the unwillingness of someone in pain to move around much resulting in strained muscles and lack of balance)

and you hit on another aspect. You can't know how badly someone else hurts. I will not chastise another for taking a medication given by their doctor to relieve pain (feeling the doctor knows more about the situation than I do) I just consider myself to be VERY lucky that my health problems are not as debilitating as some others.

One of my favorite lines is: 'there but for the grace of God goes I...'

injest

« Reply #491 on: February 16, 2007, 07:24:47 pm »
Don't worry Geri. I'll be a good boy!  :D

But back pain is awful. I first hurt my back while working in a nursing home in the late 1980's. I was lifting people in and out of bed incorrectly. I hurt it again when I was personnel manager at Montgomery Ward. I was helping the Electric Avenue Manager move lawn tractors from the front of the store, and I tried to lift the front end of one up on a skid. I have hurt it several times since then. I shouldn't have tried to tilt the refrigerator the other night when Cody got his head stuck. But I panicked.

Back pain is one of the most awful things I have ever experienced. When it really starts hurting bad, I'll do just about anything to get rid of it.

I have known several people with back problems, David. I hope I never have to suffer the way they do. The pain is so hard to get away from. No position seems to help....

You really have my sympathy...

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #492 on: February 16, 2007, 09:24:03 pm »
I have known several people with back problems, David. I hope I never have to suffer the way they do. The pain is so hard to get away from. No position seems to help....

You really have my sympathy...

Well, fortunately my back feels fine most of the time. Normally I have no problems and I can work out with my weight set, run and exercise.

BUT.... when  I do aggrevate my back by doing something stupid (like trying to lift a refrigerator) it really hurts me and  sometimes it takes awhile before I feel good again.

My Mother was adminantly against pain medicine. Once, just after she was diagnosed with leukemia, she got up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom.  As she was getting up off the toilet, she lost her balance and fell face first to the floor. She was struck in the ribs by the ledge of the shower stall and broke two of her ribs. She refused to take the pain medicine the doctor prescribed to her. For two solid weeks she was in pain. It hurt her every time she took a breath. But she never took a pain pill fearing she would become addicted to them.

I'm not like that. If I'm hurting bad enough, I'll take a pain pill. I don't have any reservations about it.
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #493 on: February 17, 2007, 12:22:58 am »
I've even had cortisone injections in my back. In fact, I need to call my doctor on Monday and schedule another one. But they only work for about a month. And my doctor doesn't want me to get those injections more than once every 4 months. So, I end up going for three months without the benefit of the shots.

I just had an MRI a couple of weeks ago too. But my doctor hasn't received the results from the hospital yet. He told me to call him on Monday. Something got screwed up. He should have seen the results by now. They can be slower than the seven year itch over at that hospital. I don't like Community Hospital very much, but that's the hospital I go because I work for them. The hospital is just too big. They have 3 hospitals in Indianapolis, plus another one in Anderson. They also have many out patient offices, mental health centers (Gallahue, where I work) cardiac centers and several oncology buildings  scattered around town. I prefer St. Vincent's, but I haven't walked back in that hospital since Mom died there in 2003. Besides I get huge discounts and fringe benefits if I am treated at CHI.

injest

« Reply #494 on: February 17, 2007, 12:50:24 am »
yuck Cortizone shots...my friend had them in her feet...awful!!

but effective usually

Offline Arad-3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • " Save a horse ... ride a cowboy "
« Reply #495 on: February 17, 2007, 02:04:41 am »
but Geri studies show that being in pain can cause severe emotional and social problems and lead to further illness and injury (usually from the unwillingness of someone in pain to move around much resulting in strained muscles and lack of balance)

and you hit on another aspect. You can't know how badly someone else hurts. I will not chastise another for taking a medication given by their doctor to relieve pain (feeling the doctor knows more about the situation than I do) I just consider myself to be VERY lucky that my health problems are not as debilitating as some others.

One of my favorite lines is: 'there but for the grace of God goes I...'

Jess I just meant pain medications for me in general.   I once took Tylenal with Codiene for a tooth infection and I was so messed up I almost burned my apartment down trying to cook.   I just can't function when ever I have taken them. And I am just talking about perscription pain meds , not over the counter.      Fact is I can't stand to see people in pain.  But I just get nervous about pain pills bacause I myself have seen in my own family people abuse them and get hooked  . And  about 5 years ago I had a  very close girlfriend mix alcohal and pain pills together and died in her sleep a week after she got married. I guess it's more of a personal fear of them. And therefor I  guess I would rather see someone try other alternatives before pills, but like I said to David I have never suffered with a bad back, but I have seen alot of people in great pain. 

Your so right about the emotional and phisical deteriation that occurs when people are in constant pain.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2007, 02:18:14 am by Arad-3 »
" Save a horse... ride a cowboy "

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #496 on: February 17, 2007, 02:22:48 am »

I'm so very sorry to hear you are in such pain, David. I hope you are feeling better soon.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #497 on: June 03, 2007, 02:23:40 am »
WHEW!!!

Lord have mercy it stinks in here!

And look how dirty it is too!  :P

Come on ya'll. Help me clean this place up!

JESS!! DON'T YOU SAY A WORD, YOU HEAR ME???!!!  >:(

injest

« Reply #498 on: June 03, 2007, 06:48:56 am »
WHEW!!!

Lord have mercy it stinks in here!

And look how dirty it is too!  :P

Come on ya'll. Help me clean this place up!

JESS!! DON'T YOU SAY A WORD, YOU HEAR ME???!!!  >:(

now why would I say anything??  ::)

not like I haven't been trying to tell everyone what a disaster this place is!!

tsk tsk tsk!

and you charge HOW MUCH to get in??

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #499 on: June 03, 2007, 09:32:38 am »

The Fun Crowd has arrived. We'll liven-up your Club for you, David! Yee-Haw!

γνῶθι σεαυτόν