Author Topic: Jack and Alma  (Read 23887 times)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Jack and Alma
« on: April 11, 2006, 12:23:19 am »
So, I just rewatched my DVD tonight and got to thinking about a subject that's been discussed once in a while on the big board.  I'm increasingly noticing Jack's competitiveness with Alma.  In the "prayer of thanks" campfire scene when Jack says "you and Alma, that's a life?" and Ennis defends Alma, there's this incredible exchange of intense gazes between Jack and Ennis.  And, just tonight I noticed that when Jack and Ennis are about to leave the apartment after Ennis has introduced Jack to Alma, as Jack is backing out the door he looks up and seems to lock eyes with Alma for a second.  I feel like once Jack is back on the scene in Ennis's life he's determined from this new beginning to "stake his claim" with Ennis.

Not only was Jack first to make love to Ennis (based on the "opportunity" conversation, we glean that Alma and Ennis were *innocently* engaged), on Brokeback they had already set up their version of domestic happiness.  The fact that we see Jack washing Ennis's clothes (then mirrored later by Alma washing clothes in the sink) and Jack and Ennis cooking for each other, and taking care of each other must make it seem from Jack's point of view that Alma is the usurper. It's interesting that he's so eager to propose to Ennis that they live together again.  And, it's amazing how self-aware Jack is throughout the film.  He recognizes through to the end ("all we've got now is Brokeback mountain, everything's built on that") that they were only ever truly content when they were living together.

Alma clearly feels the rivalry right away too.  And, much of the rest of her story seems to show Alma gradually acquiescing to the rival.  It's interesting because Ennis doesn't seem to feel jealousy or competitiveness when it comes to women and Jack, only when he imagines Jack with other men.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline bbm_stitchbuffyfan

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • Ennis and Jack are Forever
Re: Jack and Alma
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2006, 04:27:16 pm »
Ennis, I think, does not get jealous when Jack is with other women because he knows that Jack is gay and that women, for these two men, are merely conveniences and used to hide their true sexual orientations (society expected them to marry women). He knows Jack doesn't care about Lureen or the rancher's wife.

I have heard your theory before and I remember Jack saying "You and Alma, that's a life?" I guess the timing must be right or else the way you presented it just made it click; as I read your post, I really liked your take on that. Ennis may have met and dated Alma before he met Jack but Jack and Ennis built their domesticity together before Ennis did so with Alma. I like the idea that Jack saw Alma as competition... :) It's romantic.
If you'd just realize what I just realized then we'd be perfect for each other and we'd never have to wonder if we missed out on each other now
We missed out on each other now

R.I.P. Heath Ledger

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2006, 04:37:31 pm »
I don't see that Jack in competition with Alma per se, I think he is in competion who/whatever Ennis is putting ahead of him. The scene with Alma during the reunion scene was just Jack being a bundle of nerves-I didn't detect any type of hostility. I think the only thing he was thinking about was getting out of there with Ennis to continue the re-union.

O0

Heathen

Offline juneaux

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2006, 11:41:36 pm »
So, I just rewatched my DVD tonight and got to thinking about a subject that's been discussed once in a while on the big board.  I'm increasingly noticing Jack's competitiveness with Alma.  In the "prayer of thanks" campfire scene when Jack says "you and Alma, that's a life?" and Ennis defends Alma, there's this incredible exchange of intense gazes between Jack and Ennis.  And, just tonight I noticed that when Jack and Ennis are about to leave the apartment after Ennis has introduced Jack to Alma, as Jack is backing out the door he looks up and seems to lock eyes with Alma for a second.  I feel like once Jack is back on the scene in Ennis's life he's determined from this new beginning to "stake his claim" with Ennis.

Not only was Jack first to make love to Ennis (based on the "opportunity" conversation, we glean that Alma and Ennis were *innocently* engaged), on Brokeback they had already set up their version of domestic happiness.  The fact that we see Jack washing Ennis's clothes (then mirrored later by Alma washing clothes in the sink) and Jack and Ennis cooking for each other, and taking care of each other must make it seem from Jack's point of view that Alma is the usurper. It's interesting that he's so eager to propose to Ennis that they live together again.  And, it's amazing how self-aware Jack is throughout the film.  He recognizes through to the end ("all we've got now is Brokeback mountain, everything's built on that") that they were only ever truly content when they were living together.

Alma clearly feels the rivalry right away too.  And, much of the rest of her story seems to show Alma gradually acquiescing to the rival.  It's interesting because Ennis doesn't seem to feel jealousy or competitiveness when it comes to women and Jack, only when he imagines Jack with other men.

Very interesting point as I never thought of Alma as Jack's rival.  :o (I don't get out much.)  Your observation adds weight to the scene where Jack drives to Wyoming after learning of Ennis' divorce.  Not only could he be happy about the idea of having a life with Ennis, with this new discussion it could be the elation that comes with a victory or winning.  This also adds to the contrast when Ennis corrects Jack's assumption and the devastation sends him to seek solace in Mexico.

As if I needed *another* topic about which to think... :P
Truth never damages a cause that is just.
~Mohandas Gandhi

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2006, 09:24:16 pm »
I did like watching Jack and Alma together on screen, just because their characters had such an interesting connection to each other (Ennis). Maybe I subconsciously noticed a slight degree of competition because I remember enjoying Jack interacting with Alma. It was just interesting to see those two sides of Ennis' life collide.

I also liked when Ennis talked to Lureen. Of course, that scene was absolutely mind-blowing and devastating but behind that, I have wondered about what Lureen and Ennis meeting would be like, and hearing them meet each other, over the phone, was so interesting (and depressing as well).

I am *not* speaking romantically here but I think Ennis/Lureen and Jack/Alma are more interesting than Ennis/Alma and Jack/Lureen, just to watch on screen...
If you'd just realize what I just realized then we'd be perfect for each other and we'd never have to wonder if we missed out on each other now

R.I.P. Heath Ledger

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2006, 11:03:11 pm »
Heya bbm_stitchbuffyfan,
I agree about the dynamics between Ennis/Lureen and Jack/Alma.  The phone scene between Ennis and Lureen is a bit like Alma seeing Jack and Ennis kiss.  It's an equivalent epiphany moment for Lureen (doubly heartbreaking for her, realizing that she's talking to Jack's *true* love on the phone while still being in a state of grief herself.  Whatever the state of her relaionship was with Jack, I'm sure she was grieving for Jack in her own way too).

On Alma's competitiveness...  Clearly she lets loose with this sense of anger and rivalry in the Thanksgiving scene when she tells Ennis what she knows about him and calls Jack "Jack Nasty."  I've always wondered if Ennis's extreme/ violent reaction here has a tiny bit to do with him being upset that Alma insults Jack.  I know the main reason for his anger, definitely is over being 'outed.'  But, still I really do wonder if the 'nasty' insult ruffled his feathers even more.

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2006, 10:33:57 am »
Hey atz,

You see, I *always* associate Ennis' anger at the Thanksgiving scene with Jack. I know he's really uncomfortable and scared that Alma knows but watch how Ennis responds when she first says "Jack Twist..." and then caps off with "Jack Nasty." I think Ennis was not only trying to stick up for himself in that scene but also Jack.

I'm glad you also see the dynamics of Ennis/Lureen and Jack/Alma. I watched the DVD last night and looked for the expression. Was it after he said something along the lines of "Pleased to meet you, ma'am?" I bet there was a bit of animosity there. :)

R.I.P. Heath Ledger

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2006, 06:12:37 pm »
I watched the DVD last night and looked for the expression. Was it after he said something along the lines of "Pleased to meet you, ma'am?" I bet there was a bit of animosity there. :)

Hi there,
Yes, it's really the very last moment before Jack backs out the door.  It is after he says "Pleased to meet you".  Maybe I'm reading way too much into it.  But, to me he seems to look at Alma in an intense way for just a second or two.  It reminds me of the intense look on his face in the "prayer of thanks" campfire chat when Jack says "you and Alma that's a life?" And Ennis replies by saying that the situation isn't Alma's fault.  Jack looks at Ennis there in a pretty intense way there too.  I chalk all of this up to a bit of competitiveness.

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2006, 12:17:08 am »
Hey, Bud! Good to see you -- it's been a while, for some reason, and I'd begun to wonder why our paths hadn't crossed lately. Now, as usual, you have drawn me in with an intriguing thread.

In fact, I just referred earlier tonight to the Jack/Alma rivalry on a thread called (I just looked it up; I've been posting so promiscuously lately I couldn't remember off the top of my head) "Interesting post from the imdb board," on CT. This was in connection to something later -- the idea that Jack may have felt jealous of Cassie, even though Ennis clearly wasn't very concerned about Jack's fling with "the rancher's wife." I think this difference is also illustrated by Jack/Alma (tension) vs. Ennis/Lureen (little or no tension). Ennis doesn't care about Jack's male/female relationships, but Jack does.

I agree that Jack is staking his claim with Ennis back on Brokeback, with the laundry being the metaphor. Ennis, for his part, seems oblivious (just as, later, he seems OK with Jack's fling with the rancher's wife). In the reunion meeting between Jack and Alma, Ennis seems too happy and excited about Jack's presence to notice any undercurrents. In the "now you leave Alma out of this" he's just being fair and chivalrous and -- YES! -- Jack's look is very intense and I've always wondered what that was about! I think your idea that it's the rivalry emerging is exactly right.

I also am enlightened by your take on the Thanksgiving scene. I always interpreted it purely as Ennis being angry at being outed but, you're right, the "Jack Nasty" remark must have stung as well.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2006, 04:12:46 pm »
Heya Friend,
Thanks for giving me the heads-up about the "Interesting post..." thread.

I'm beginning to feel that Jack was jealous of anyone/ anything that kept Ennis away (a little selfish but also probably pretty understandable).  And, I do think that the "Jack Nasty" comment was very insulting to Ennis (and caused him to also feel protective of Jack).  A judgment on Jack reflects back on Ennis and his own taste (taste in men, lovers, etc.).  He's also proud of Jack I think.  He's proud especially in the reunion scene when he introduces Jack to Alma.  Ennis is just beaming and seems pleased as punch by Jack's witty little "smiles a lot" comment.