Author Topic: Mary Renault Book Discussion  (Read 80846 times)

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
Re: Mary Renault Book Discussion
« Reply #50 on: January 02, 2007, 09:42:04 pm »
Ah, it's good to be king.  Certainly Hephaestion understood it and probably didn't love Alexander any less for it, but that doesn't mean he liked it.
It is my personal belief that Hephaestion never ceased loving Alexander. Just like Jack never ceased loving Ennis.   :'(
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #51 on: January 02, 2007, 11:00:05 pm »
Alexander and Philip did not enjoy a loving father/son relationship. They didn't have a lot in common, from what I can see.

Well, that's not surprising seeing as how Phillip was away a lot on campaign.  Alexander was very likely his mother's son more than he was his father's.

Let's remember that the pages you refer to were not the little girly boys with page-boy haircuts of fairytale fame. These pages were tough young louts, hardened by years on campaign. They were not delicate in any way. And they were young men - not boys.

As I recall reading, the pages were under the age of 18.  At about 18 or so, they went into the army.  So yes, they were at times, boys.

With respect, steer clear of Alexander according to Oliver Stone (LOL). Though, having said that, I did enjoy the movie - but strictly as a confection.

Actually except for the psychological angle of Alexander in the movie which was pure conjecture, Stone was extremely accurate in his movie almost to a fault. 

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 02, 2007, 11:11:29 pm »
Actually except for the psychological angle of Alexander in the movie which was pure conjecture, Stone was extremely accurate in his movie almost to a fault. 
Now that's what I call a page-boy hair-do - on Alexander!  :o  Ugh!  ::)

There was a joke going around at the time:

"Hey, have you heard that Alexander the Great was a homosexual? And IRISH!!!:laugh:
« Last Edit: January 03, 2007, 02:40:01 am by Kerry »
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #53 on: January 02, 2007, 11:31:20 pm »
Now that's what I call a page-boy hair-do - on Alexander!  :o  Ugh!  ::)

There was a joke going around at the time:

"Hey, have you heard that Alexander the Great was a homosexual? And IRISH!!!  :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Yeah, I dunno what the deal was with the wig.  Wasn't Alexander the Great's hair supposed to be a 'tawny' color?

injest

« Reply #54 on: January 03, 2007, 02:20:37 am »
Well, that's not surprising seeing as how Phillip was away a lot on campaign.  Alexander was very likely his mother's son more than he was his father's.

As I recall reading, the pages were under the age of 18.  At about 18 or so, they went into the army.  So yes, they were at times, boys.

remember that in this time the idea of childhood was much different than ours...girls were married between 13 and 16...any older and her prospects were dim...

on what are you basing your definition of boy? yes, Alexanders pages moved into the Companions when they turned 18....that doesn't mean that other teens weren't serving already in the reg regiments...

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #55 on: January 03, 2007, 09:02:26 am »
on what are you basing your definition of boy? yes, Alexanders pages moved into the Companions when they turned 18....that doesn't mean that other teens weren't serving already in the reg regiments...

Age I suppose.  R.L. Fox in his 'Alexander the Great' bio states that the boys of royalty/nobility came to the Macedonian court at 14 to be educated and serve as Royal Pages.  So even if other teens were serving in regular regiments, at what age they became or were considered 'men' is debatable.  What does stand out though is that Phillip and possibly Alexander too had intimate relations with their Pages and those were all under the age of 18.

injest

« Reply #56 on: January 03, 2007, 07:18:37 pm »
I think we are getting far from the original intent of this thread...which is to discuss the books. I understand and accept you are not a fan of Ms. Renault. So I will no longer engage you on this point....

moving on...

I understand that Lee is beginning to read The Last of The Wine...Kerry, do you have a copy? Can we discuss the first chapter?

Lee, are you ready or shall we give you a bit more time?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2007, 07:30:58 pm by injest »

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #57 on: January 03, 2007, 07:57:23 pm »
I went two places to find it yesterday. There were lots of Renault books but not that one. I'll try again tonite, but if I can't find it, then I will order it on Amazon.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

injest

« Reply #58 on: January 03, 2007, 08:11:12 pm »
sounds good!! (you might have the best luck at a used book store if there is one handy)

It is one of the greatest feelings to find an author that really just grabs you. I feel like I have always known these characters and places...I have read other authors...Graves, Taylor...but none have caught me like these books have...I have always been fascinated with ancient history...used to read everything I could find on Egypt...

I can't believe it took me this long to find her!  :laugh: :laugh:

I think I have reread every one of them at least four or five times...

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 03, 2007, 08:21:38 pm »
I understand that Lee is beginning to read The Last of The Wine...Kerry, do you have a copy? Can we discuss the first chapter?

Lee, are you ready or shall we give you a bit more time?

Will check at home tonight (presently at work - it's 11.15am Thursday here).

Looking forward to our Mary Renault Book Club discussions! Exciting!

Kerry   :)
γνῶθι σεαυτόν