Author Topic: Mary Renault Book Discussion  (Read 79806 times)

Online Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Mary Renault Book Discussion
« Reply #70 on: January 04, 2007, 06:32:08 pm »
You guys go ahead...I went out at lunchtime to another bookstore but they still did not have it. I bought the only MR book they had (The King Must Die) and ordered Last of the Wine. I'll catch up with you next week when it arrives.

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 04, 2007, 07:51:29 pm »
I see the enormity of the events of Alexias’ birth date as being a double-edged sword.

He was born one month premature and, as such, was not a robust, attractive baby – definitely a runt. As a consequence, his father intended to expose him on a hillside, for the wolves to devour. Imagine having to carry that with you for the rest of your life! I’m getting mixed feelings about the father. Certainly, there is that John Twist aspect to his personality (urinating on your infant son must be right up there in the “despicable acts” stakes, with exposing your baby son); however, having said that, I get the feeling that his heart wasn’t really in it. Certainly, he was called away to war before he could act, but he could have easily left instruction for the deed to be done. He didn’t do this. One could argue that the reason he ultimately decided not to expose his son was a selfish one – it was better to have a runt son than no son at all, seeing as his wife and other son had subsequently died of the plague – “. . . (my father) thought it less disgraceful to leave even me behind him, than to perish without offspring as if he had never been.” And then the wet-nurse fattened him up, and he was stronger and better looking and “. . . (my father) named me Alexias, as he had first meant to do.” So, even though daddy was a brute, he came to accept his son.

His mother did not have that opportunity. She was dead from the plague when he was only days old. Whereas his father did come to accept him, he must live the rest of his life believing that his mother went to her grave disowning him – “From the first she had ordered me to be kept away from her.”

And of course, we also have the fact that he was born in a time a plague, when his mother, brother, Uncle Alexias and god knows how many other family members died. Gotta be a bad omen for any new baby’s birth! And coupled with this, the tragic circumstances of his uncle’s death, in the arms of his lover.

I believe this latter event, though tragic, is the positive, inspirational aspect of the double-edged sword. His uncle gave up his life to be with the man he loved, to “. . . make the journey together.” His father wanted to respectfully mix the ashes of the lovers together. This was not to be, their bodies having already been disposed of on a common pyre in the street.

We are told that, “. . . my grandfather had a stone set up for Alexias in the Street of Tombs, with a relief showing the friends clasping hands in farewell, and a cup beside them on a pedestal. Every year at the Feast of Families, we sacrificed for Alexias at the household altar, and the story is one of the first that I remember. My father used to say that all over the City, those who died in the plague were the beautiful and the good.” (so, maybe he wasn’t such an old rotter after all – time will tell!)

Importantly, “. . . the story (of Alexias and Philon) is one of the first that I remember,” indicates to me that despite the premature runt status, the loathing of his father and mother, the loss of his mother and brother, the plague and the war (gasp!), he carries the inspirational legacy, that his namesake tragically and nobly died, honourably and with dignity, in the arms of the man he loved.

The story of Alexias (the uncle) and Philon  touches me so much…even the way it is presented…not as a ‘gay’ thing…just a normal accepted even admired relationship. And the nobility and love they showed….Philon didn’t call for Alexias…wanting to protect him, and I wonder if Alexias really felt himself getting sick or did he just love Philon so much he couldn’t bear for him to go on that journey alone?

Beautifully expressed, Jess. I too was touched that Philon chose to not call for Alexias, because he wanted to protect him. And I also wondered about Alexias getting sick. My romantic heart tells me he wanted to be with his beloved, Philon, on that long, long journey.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

injest

« Reply #72 on: January 04, 2007, 08:01:15 pm »
now see I do NOT see Alexias's mother like that at all!!

I took that passage to mean that when she felt herself sicken is when she ordered him away...remember she pleaded for his life...

"....the midwife had handed me over to my mother to nurse. This annoyed my father; for she had taken a fancy to me after this, as women will, and being rather weak and feverish begged for my life with tears..."

it is very interesting to see how Alexias (the narrator of the story talks about the situation with an almost clinical, detached air)

Also interesting to see the attitude toward women...we are viewed as having little sense at all!

injest

« Reply #73 on: January 04, 2007, 08:05:14 pm »
His father is presented as a very stern, proper man; wealthy and respected...but also a bit soft hearted...remember that in this time it was pretty common to expose unwanted or unhealthy infants...(as it is still in some countries) He wouldn't take Alexias from his mother's arms by force (he could have easily) and did not order anyone else to do it...which leads me to think that maybe he was 'going thru the motions'

note in the last paragraph that he was fond of Alexias's mother...must have been a horrible time for him too...losing so much...

injest

« Reply #74 on: January 04, 2007, 08:07:55 pm »
MR writing is similar to me to Proulx's in that she packs a lot of stuff in a few words...every word she writes counts...nothing wasted...and leaves you wanting to know more...your mind filling in the blanks...

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #75 on: January 04, 2007, 08:30:15 pm »
now see I do NOT see Alexias's mother like that at all!!

I took that passage to mean that when she felt herself sicken is when she ordered him away...remember she pleaded for his life...

"....the midwife had handed me over to my mother to nurse. This annoyed my father; for she had taken a fancy to me after this, as women will, and being rather weak and feverish begged for my life with tears..."

it is very interesting to see how Alexias (the narrator of the story talks about the situation with an almost clinical, detached air)

Also interesting to see the attitude toward women...we are viewed as having little sense at all!

Gad! I missed that completely! Read it several times and somehow got the idea that it was the nurse begging for his life - and that the mother was an ogre! I'm now viewing the mother in a whole new light. Thanx  :)
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 04, 2007, 08:39:35 pm »
His father is presented as a very stern, proper man; wealthy and respected...but also a bit soft hearted...remember that in this time it was pretty common to expose unwanted or unhealthy infants...(as it is still in some countries) He wouldn't take Alexias from his mother's arms by force (he could have easily) and did not order anyone else to do it...which leads me to think that maybe he was 'going thru the motions'

note in the last paragraph that he was fond of Alexias's mother...must have been a horrible time for him too...losing so much...

I agree. In Australia, we call such a person a "rough diamond" (eluding to an uncut diamond - rough of the outside but with the potential for beauty/greatness underneath). I laughed at the line about the father being "fond" of his wife. The implication being, for me, that he didn't love her - was just fond of her. Your thoughts?
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 04, 2007, 08:48:14 pm »
You guys go ahead...I went out at lunchtime to another bookstore but they still did not have it. I bought the only MR book they had (The King Must Die) and ordered Last of the Wine. I'll catch up with you next week when it arrives.

I've made an Adobe Acrobat PDF copy of the first 3 chapters but don't know how to attach items here at BetterMost (it's so tricky - I can't work it out here!). However, I can e-mail it to you. What's your e-mail address? If you don't want to quote it in the open forum, send me a private message via my profile. You will need to have Adobe Acrobat Reader on your PC - it's free.

Cheers,

Kerry
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

injest

« Reply #78 on: January 05, 2007, 02:03:56 am »
I agree. In Australia, we call such a person a "rough diamond" (eluding to an uncut diamond - rough of the outside but with the potential for beauty/greatness underneath). I laughed at the line about the father being "fond" of his wife. The implication being, for me, that he didn't love her - was just fond of her. Your thoughts?

well it is difficult for me to explain...(I just read it recently and it is hard to divorce information that comes later...) BUT if you look at the general attitude toward women...the patronizing tone...the dismissing of their opinions...together with the knowledge that in those days men considered women to be for begetting children only...fond is about the best you can expect...you will see as we get further in the book...can we revisit this later?

interesting too (to me) is the aside MR throws in about the source of the plague....the WOMEN blame (correctly) the contaminated water supply while the vastly 'superior' men assume it is a curse from the gods for some imagined sin....and laugh at the women...

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 05, 2007, 07:24:18 am »
well it is difficult for me to explain...(I just read it recently and it is hard to divorce information that comes later...) BUT if you look at the general attitude toward women...the patronizing tone...the dismissing of their opinions...together with the knowledge that in those days men considered women to be for begetting children only...fond is about the best you can expect...you will see as we get further in the book...can we revisit this later?

interesting too (to me) is the aside MR throws in about the source of the plague....the WOMEN blame (correctly) the contaminated water supply while the vastly 'superior' men assume it is a curse from the gods for some imagined sin....and laugh at the women...

I couldn't help but notice how readily and without hesitation MR used the "love" word on page 2, when describing what Alexias (uncle) felt for Philon, but could only manage "fond of" for what his (narrator's) father felt for his mother. I have no doubt that MR used these words deliberately, in such close proximity. It's something that's crossed my mind in the past, when reading MR. And I have come to the conclusion that this reflects MRs accuracy and honesty in truthfully portraying and recreating the ancient world. I understand she was an obsessive researcher. What you read in her books, apparently, is very close to the way it was. It would have been very easy for her to have deliberately misrepresented the ancient world and given women a more illustrious persona. But it wouldn't have been accurate. Must have broken her heart at times, being an educated, erudite gay woman herself, with a professional career of her own before taking up writing (she was a registered nurse). I have sometimes wondered why, as a lesbian, she didn't write books about the powerful women from antiquity. For example, there's Sappho, Olympias, Dido, Helen of Troy and the Delphic Sibyl, just to name a few off the top of my head, that would all make wonderful books. Wonder why she was so obsessed with gay male characters. Something to ponder and muse over.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν