Author Topic: Scene shirtless Ennis and Jack -  (Read 6313 times)

squashcourt

Scene shirtless Ennis and Jack -
« on: January 09, 2007, 08:40:40 pm »
Did Ang Lee use stunts in that scene (the one after the second tent scene which I believe was impeccable.  It was not a performance but an absorbing conviction between Ennis and Jack of how they felt for one another - unspoken love, passion and protection for each other). 

Pierre

moremojo

Re: Scene shirtless Ennis and Jack -
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2007, 08:49:59 pm »
I'm pretty sure that we see Heath and Jake there--no doubles used for that scene. Now, in the skinny-dipping scene, a stand-in was used for Jack's character, but it is Heath that we see beside him. I have read that Jake didn't want to do the scene because he was scared of the height from which he was being asked to jump (I can sympathize!).

Scott
« Last Edit: February 21, 2008, 09:17:46 pm by moremojo »

squashcourt

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2007, 09:08:04 pm »
Thanks Scott for the clarification. 
A bit disappointed with Jake - didn't seem that high to me. 

I guess he'll never be casted as Mark Spitz. 

You know ...... these days I am not able to associate Heath and Jake other than Ennis and Jack.  Hmmm !

Pierre

Offline jpwagoneer1964

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Me and my 1951 DeSoto Suburban
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2007, 09:10:52 pm »
It was so much that Jake was afraid of heights, but he had just landed 'Jarhead' and the river was only ten feet deep he did want to risk a broken leg. I read this in an interview.
Thank you Heath and Jake for showing us Ennis and Jack,  teaching us how much they loved one another.

Offline Ed59

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2007, 09:12:49 pm »
       I agree with Scott-- I dont think stunt doubles were used in that scene.

For me that was one of the best "feel good" scenes in the movie.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2007, 09:36:00 pm »
      I agree with Scott-- I dont think stunt doubles were used in that scene.

For me that was one of the best "feel good" scenes in the movie.

It was one of the best scenes in the movie, wasn't it Ed??!!

Welcome To Bettermost Ed!  :D
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2007, 10:05:56 pm »
Yep, I've jumped off 10 ft cliffs into mountain lakes. It's not so bad.  Never in the nude thought.   I guess they had to climb back up to retrieve their clothes. Must have been a real private locale as two guys in their mid 20s, skinny dipping together and who else knows what happened afterwards.  :) Glad there was no Aguirre type watching in the background.

moremojo

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2007, 10:13:43 pm »
You know ...... these days I am not able to associate Heath and Jake other than Ennis and Jack.  Hmmm !
That's interesting to read, because in my case, I really don't associate Heath with Ennis at all, other than recognizing him as the brilliant actor who brought that character so vividly to life. Heath seems so different from Ennis in real life, and I really can't see much of Ennis in Heath outside the context of Brokeback Mountain.

Now, for Jake, it is a bit different. Jack is such a sweet, nurturing spirit, and Jake shows every indication of having these very same qualities. I have suspected this is one of the factors as to why Jake/Jack seems to have more of a hold on fans' affections than Ennis-played-by-Heath (many admirers of the film have expressed anger for Ennis, or at least mixed feelings). In Jake, we really do seem to glimpse a spark of Jack in those baby-blue eyes and warm smile...is it any wonder that so many of us, like Ennis, have become indelibly smitten?

Scott

Offline HerrKaiser

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2007, 05:47:23 pm »

A bit disappointed with Jake - didn't seem that high to me. 

I guess he'll never be casted as Mark Spitz. 

Pierre

Actually, Mark Spitz was never a diver; he swam several events in the pool. You must have meant Greg Louganis. :)  Plus the sense of height is MUCH greater from the platform looking down than from the ground looking up which is the perspective the camera had.

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2007, 11:01:09 pm »
As someone who has watched the "happy tussle" scene frame by frame by frame more than once, I am sure it's Heath and Jake.

Watching frame by frame, it's pretty easy to see that it's not Jake in the jumping in the lake scene.  The fellow jumping with Heath is stockier than Jake. 

I'm also in the "Don't blame Jake a bit for not jumping" camp.  It looks a lot higher than 10 feet up to me, and I wouldn't be surprised if the insurance on his lovely features is very costly.  It did occur to me once how much those paparazzi photos would have gone for if they had caught both Heath AND Jake in them.