Author Topic: Song Suggestions for BBM Radio!!  (Read 627064 times)

Offline cornflake2912

• Jr. Ranch Hand
Re: Song Suggestions for BBM Radio!!
« Reply #280 on: January 30, 2008, 04:46:46 pm »
Hey there. I love the BBM Radio. I listen to it almost every day :)
Listen to that here. I discovered it today, but I don´t have it as mp3 :(
Isn´t it amazing???

[youtube=425,350]wzuA7cYmKtY[/youtube]

Offline smellykellyjay

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #281 on: February 05, 2008, 05:53:24 pm »
I donated some stuff to the Salvation Army thrift store a few weeks back, and, while I was there, I bought a used VHS of “Saturday Night Fever.”  It has special meaning to me since it was the first R-rated movie I saw in a theater.  My big brother took me.  I'm sure I still had placenta on me at the time.  Watching it now, I realize that so much of it went over my head.  I just enjoyed the music and flashing lights (and John Travolta’s tight pants).  Anyhow, it got me hankering for Bee Gees music, so I dug out their stuff from my collection for another listen. 

I know I got Brokeback brain, because most anything seems to make me think of it, can be related in some way to it.  Listening to “How Deep Is Your Love,” it struck me how it might be a good one for BbM radio -- lyrically, if not stylistically.  Here are the lyrics. . . 

I know your eyes in the morning sun
I feel you touch me in the pouring rain
And the moment that you wander far from me
I wanna feel you in my arms again

And you come to me on a summer breeze
Keep me warm in your love and then softly leave
And it's me you need to show

Chorus:
How deep is your love
I really need to learn
Cause were living in a world of fools
Breaking us down
When they all should let us be
We belong to you and me

I believe in you
You know the door to my very soul
You're the light in my deepest darkest hour
You're my savior when I fall

And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do
And it's me you need to show

Chorus
Repeat and fade

Whaddya think?  I had no luck finding a cover version of it, one that was less lush and all. 

Personally, my favorite Bee Gees song is “Fanny, Be Tender with My Love,” but that wouldn't really be appropriate for the station. . . unless it was changed to “Love, Be Tender with My Fanny” or something like that. 

By the way, are the Bee Gees considered British or Australian?  I think they were born in the UK but spent a lot of their lives in Australia. 
I been one poor correspondent, and I been too, too hard to find, but it doesn't mean you ain't been on my mind.  -- America

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #282 on: February 05, 2008, 11:42:26 pm »
Hey there. I love the BBM Radio. I listen to it almost every day :)
Listen to that here. I discovered it today, but I don´t have it as mp3 :(
Isn´t it amazing???

[youtube=425,350]wzuA7cYmKtY[/youtube]

I emailed the artist Shane August for a MP3 copy of the song and for his permission to play it on BBM Radio...  ;)

Offline SFEnnisSF

« Reply #283 on: February 05, 2008, 11:45:07 pm »
I've toyed with putting the Bee Gee's on the station before.  Namely "Tragedy".   Perhaps it's time to "disco it up" a bit?   :D

Here I lie
In a lost and lonely part of town
Held in time
In a world of tears I slowly drown
Goinhome
I just cant take it all alone
I really should be holding you
Holding you
Loving you loving you

Tragedy
When the feelings gone and you cant go on
Its tragedy
When the morning cries and you dont know why
Its hard to bear
With no-one to love you youre
Goin nowhere
Tragedy
When you lose control and you got no soul
Its tragedy
Its hard to bear
Goin nowhere

Night and day
Theres a burning down inside of me
Burning love
With a yearning that wont let me be
Down I go
And I just cant take it all alone
Holding you
Loving you loving you

Tragedy
Its tragedy
Its hard to bear
Goin nowhere
Tragedy
Its tragedy
Its hard to bear
Goin nowhere

Offline ptannen

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #284 on: February 06, 2008, 01:21:28 am »
I emailed the artist Shane August for a MP3 copy of the song and for his permission to play it on BBM Radio...  ;)

That's beautiful.  Brought tears to my eyes.  Thanks for telling me about it, Eric.
Is there anything interesting up there in heaven?

Offline nic

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • No man is an island
« Reply #285 on: February 06, 2008, 10:31:49 pm »
I've toyed with putting the Bee Gee's on the station before.  Namely "Tragedy".   Perhaps it's time to "disco it up" a bit?   :D

I love the BeeGees - they have a uniquely harmonious sound that can only be achieved with voices from members of the same family.  it could be considered a bold move but I think you could mix up the playlist a bit with these tracks, however maybe in a couple of weeks time when most folk might welcome a "pick me up" after this fairly gloomy period...
Old Brokeback got us good and it sure ain't over

Offline smellykellyjay

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #286 on: February 07, 2008, 08:41:35 pm »

When I first read "Tragedy," I was, like, "Huh?"  I often have trouble deciphering the lyrics of songs the Bee Gees do.  Thank you for posting them.  Once I read them, I can see how they can relate to BbM. 

I love the BeeGees - they have a uniquely harmonious sound that can only be achieved with voices from members of the same family.  it could be considered a bold move but I think you could mix up the playlist a bit with these tracks, however maybe in a couple of weeks time when most folk might welcome a "pick me up" after this fairly gloomy period...

I agree with nic.  Give it a shot and see how it goes. 

I don't know how the station song rotation works, but, if it's possible, why not put any Bee Gees songs in a lesser rotation, gauge the reaction, and take it from there.  Either put them in heavier or lesser rotation or take them off entirely. 

It's funny that you mention the Bee Gees' unique harmonies.  I'm a sucker for good harmony (and strings), and I'm enchanted by theirs.  I've been listening to a lot of their stuff (60s, 70s, and 80s) over the last couple of weeks.  I noticed how I can't always tell which one was doing the lead vocals, if one was harmonizing with himself, or what.  Even Andy Gibb's stuff sounds like the Bee Gees. . . not surprising considering his brothers wrote, produced, and performed on a lot of his stuff, but still. 

I give 'em credit for longevity and recreating themselves.  I also thing they are good songwriters.  Maybe I don't have the best ear for this kind of thing, but I think the songs they write are pretty distinctive; they don't sound a whole lot alike.  I mean, they wrote "Islands in the Stream," "What Kind of Fool," and "Heartbreaker."  Of course, those were interpreted and made popular by very different artists.  But they didn't sound like Bee Gees songs to me. 
I been one poor correspondent, and I been too, too hard to find, but it doesn't mean you ain't been on my mind.  -- America

Offline SFEnnisSF

« Reply #287 on: February 11, 2008, 06:31:24 pm »
There isn't a way (as far as I know) to more prodominently feature one song over another.  Currently there are 311 songs in the playlist worth 18 hours and 4 minutes of music, all played at random.  If I were to re-start the playlist, you would actually need to listen for 18 hours 4 minutes straight (not including commercials) to hear every song in the playlist played. 

The playlist re-starts itself every 18 hours 4 minutes (not including commercials though) and still plays at random.  It could actually be very possible that as the playlist re-starts itself and let's say the first song is "The Wings", you begin listening after The Wings has played and tune in on the second song played.  18 hours goes by, and the playlist restarts itself.  It could be possible that in the 2nd playlist that just re-started, The Wings will be the last song played, meaning that a total of 36 hours actually goes by until The Wings is actually played on the station again...

We are currently at the maximum number of allowed songs for the station based on our membership level.  Currently if we want to add another song to the playlist, one song must be removed, and so forth...  I usually take the least rated songs off of the playlist when introducing new songs to the playlist.

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #288 on: February 12, 2008, 09:45:17 am »
I used to love this song ..in the 5THgrade LOL
Lord I am getting old!
Anyway never knew whatthe lyrics were before!
Thanks for posting it.
Has a whole lot more meaning these days than it did 30yrs ago!  :o

Here I lie
In a lost and lonely part of town
Held in time
In a world of tears I slowly drown
Goinhome
I just cant take it all alone
Holding you
Loving you loving you

Tragedy
Its tragedy
Its hard to bear
Goin nowhere
Tragedy
Its tragedy
Its hard to bear
Goin nowhere

Night and day
Theres a burning down inside of me
Burning love
With a yearning that wont let me be
Down I go
And I just cant take it all alone
Holding you
Loving you loving you

Tragedy
Its tragedy
Its hard to bear
Goin nowhere
Tragedy
Its tragedy
Its hard to bear
Goin nowhere
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline SFEnnisSF

« Reply #289 on: February 20, 2008, 03:08:25 am »
5 new songs added to the playlist.  :D

Beegees - Tragedy

Tom Petty - Refugee

Kath Bloom - Come Here

The Frames - Everytime

Donovan - Catch The Wind

Keep the suggestions comin'.  :D