Author Topic: BBM Now a Dutch Play - Premier tonight  (Read 47940 times)

mvansand76

Re: Brokeback Mountain (the play) premiering tonight in Holland!
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2007, 03:33:06 pm »
I wanna go.  I wanna go.  I wanna go.  :D   :D  :D

Well, if you are in Amsterdam next Saturday you are more than welcome to join us!  ;D

mvansand76

Re: BBM Now a Dutch Play - Premier tonight
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2007, 03:36:51 pm »

Good point, Jude!  It could be in Venusian, and I think we'd all have one hunderd per cent comprehension.  

I wish I could go.  That's one of the peskiest things about being in the Western part of the United States - when I lived in New York, going to Europe was an adventure that I enjoyed several times.  But now that Europe is twice as far away, I haven't been there once since moving here 13 years ago.

So it looks like it's travelling around Holland during Feb and March.  And that it's "Muziektheater?"  Does this really mean it's a musical?

They do some songs ( :o), but I think it's characterised as a play! It's not a musical I think... Well, I will find out, I am gonna see it in the theatre in Amsterdam next Saturday. Wouldn't it be great if we could fill up the whole theatre with international Brokies?

:laugh:

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2007, 03:44:02 pm »
They do some songs ( :o), but I think it's characterised as a play! It's not a musical I think... Well, I will find out, I am gonna see it in the theatre in Amsterdam next Saturday. Wouldn't it be great if we could fill up the whole theatre with international Brokies?

:laugh:

oh wow Melissa! How come you never told us before!!!?

we expect a very full report the next day!

xx
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

mvansand76

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2007, 04:02:52 pm »
oh wow Melissa! How come you never told us before!!!?

we expect a very full report the next day!

xx

Because I only heard about it today from Fabienne and I just booked the tickets! I read a small article about it last year around this time, during the Brokeback media hype. I thought it was a joke or something, didn't think about it anymore because I didn't think they were serious about it and now the play is premiering tonight!  ;D

I need to keep an eye on the reviews in the coming days and I will of course write a full report/review once I have seen it. I am nervous about it though, I am not sure what it's gonna be like to see a different Jack and Ennis.... no Jake and Heath.... And there are going to be songs.... :o

Offline Toast

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2007, 04:12:29 pm »
Here's a machine translation of the main text about the play
(translated from Dutch to English)

You can read this "translation" for fun
mvansand76 has provided a much more readable translation on the next page.

Brokeback Mountain
Friday (9 February) we spend the wereldtoneelpremière of Brokeback Mountain, played Willem closed schouten and Sieger. music theatre by gastregisseur Jos of is possible, to the book of Annie Proulx. The tale concerning the love between two cowboys has been worldwide confessed since the film of Ang Lee. Scroll down for further information and the complete speellijst!

CONTENTS Jacket and Ennis guard sheep in a paradise, the savage Wyoming. And exactly as onherbergzaam, infinitely harsh and tenderly as the landscape, is love. Brokeback Mountain are non-conventional, breathing and ongetemd tale concerning two cowboys in wild the west. Simple hardwerkende men who deserve bread with their hands their daily. They find love where them that lowest expecting. A love which a life lasts long. But what is lifelong in a world in which men talk a little and violence to everything can make an end?

THEMATICS The laws of Kepler tell tales concerning people who are faced with the borders of their surroundings, stipulated source: family, tradition, birth ground. Also Annie Proulx let stock that confrontation as a meteorite on ground. Because love is nature violence.

BACKGROUND INFORMATION Brokeback Mountain are the third guest control of Jos of are possible at our gezelschap. Rather he made Witlox (2003) and biest (2005). Concerning the last schreef the press: ` small, fine piece ' ` seizing tale ', ` intimate, sometimes jamming show (the Volkskrant); ` fascinerend piece ', ` strong game ' (the telegraph); ` country opera with beklemming ', ` Hamelynck and coat press appears to each other hazardous and can change gear perfectly between tension and humour ' (Brabantine daily). But ` I have seldom experienced that toneelmakers succeed in me on the point of my chair looking at looking at to let look at and and once more, me to let enjoy (...) that overwhelming concentrated game of the two women, the sung comment of the tenor, the stilering in the enscenering. (Loek Zonneveld in theatre book match) The schrijfstijl of Annie Proulx has been impregnated compactly and with ingehouden humour: she is master in omitting and nevertheless writes them extremely beeldende language. Its protagonists are simple, hardwerkende people who deserve bread with their hands their daily, as a farmer or cowboy.

For The Shipping News (1993) Proulx, got a lot of prices, among which the Pulitzer Prize and The National Book Award. The verfilming of Brokeback Mountain in the control of Ang Lee won several prices among which one gouden lion, three applied Oscars, four globes and celebrate BAFTA's.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2007, 05:53:15 pm by Toast »

mvansand76

« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2007, 04:20:07 pm »
Here's a machine translation of the main text about the play
(translated from Dutch to English)

Brokeback Mountain
Friday (9 February) we spend the wereldtoneelpremière of Brokeback Mountain, played Willem closed schouten and Sieger. music theatre by gastregisseur Jos of is possible, to the book of Annie Proulx. The tale concerning the love between two cowboys has been worldwide confessed since the film of Ang Lee. Scroll down for further information and the complete speellijst!

CONTENTS Jacket and Ennis guard sheep in a paradise, the savage Wyoming. And exactly as onherbergzaam, infinitely harsh and tenderly as the landscape, is love. Brokeback Mountain are non-conventional, breathing and ongetemd tale concerning two cowboys in wild the west. Simple hardwerkende men who deserve bread with their hands their daily. They find love where them that lowest expecting. A love which a life lasts long. But what is lifelong in a world in which men talk a little and violence to everything can make an end?

THEMATICS The laws of Kepler tell tales concerning people who are faced with the borders of their surroundings, stipulated source: family, tradition, birth ground. Also Annie Proulx let stock that confrontation as a meteorite on ground. Because love is nature violence.

BACKGROUND INFORMATION Brokeback Mountain are the third guest control of Jos of are possible at our gezelschap. Rather he made Witlox (2003) and biest (2005). Concerning the last schreef the press: ` small, fine piece ' ` seizing tale ', ` intimate, sometimes jamming show (the Volkskrant); ` fascinerend piece ', ` strong game ' (the telegraph); ` country opera with beklemming ', ` Hamelynck and coat press appears to each other hazardous and can change gear perfectly between tension and humour ' (Brabantine daily). But ` I have seldom experienced that toneelmakers succeed in me on the point of my chair looking at looking at to let look at and and once more, me to let enjoy (...) that overwhelming concentrated game of the two women, the sung comment of the tenor, the stilering in the enscenering. (Loek Zonneveld in theatre book match) The schrijfstijl of Annie Proulx has been impregnated compactly and with ingehouden humour: she is master in omitting and nevertheless writes them extremely beeldende language. Its protagonists are simple, hardwerkende people who deserve bread with their hands their daily, as a farmer or cowboy.

For The Shipping News (1993) Proulx, got a lot of prices, among which the Pulitzer Prize and The National Book Award. The verfilming of Brokeback Mountain in the control of Ang Lee won several prices among which one gouden lion, three applied Oscars, four globes and celebrate BAFTA's.

LOL.... Jacket and Ennis! I will make a proper translation asap! Thanks for this Toast...

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2007, 04:21:33 pm »
The schrijfstijl of Annie Proulx has been impregnated compactly

I wonder if Annie is aware of this?  ;D
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Toast

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2007, 04:26:04 pm »
funny Meryl !!
that slipped by me

(of course I made no attempt to "fix" the translation)

Some of the machine translation terms are actually poetic.

mvansand76

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2007, 04:30:00 pm »

We know what you meant.  Great job.

Oh no, that was a machine translation that Toast posted, I am translating the Dutch text now from scratch... funny things come out of those machine translations and might be interpreted wrong, such as what Meryl mentioned! But it's very funny.

mvansand76

« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2007, 04:47:08 pm »
Here it is, my mega-fast translation:

Brokeback Mountain, starring Willem Schouten and Sieger Sloot.
Music theatre by guest director Jos van Kan, based on the book by Annie Proulx. The story that tells about the love between two cowboys became world famous when the movie, directed by Ang Lee, came out.

Jack and Ennis herd sheep in a paradise, the rugged Wyoming landscape. And just as inhospitable, endlessly rough and tender as that landscape, is love. Brokeback Mountain is an uncoventional, breathing and untamed story about two cowboys in the Wild West. Simple, hard-working men who earn their living by working with their hands. They find tenderness where they least expect it.
A love that lasts a lifetime. But what is a lifetime in a world in which men don't talk much and violence can end it all?

De Wetten van Kepler (the theatre company) tells stories about people who are confronted with the boundaries of their environment, determined by ancestry: family, tradition, native ground.
Annie Proulx also lets this confrontation smash into earth like a meteorite. Because love is a force of nature.

Annie Proulx' writing style is compact and impregnated with restrained humour: she is the master of omitting and yet her writing is extremely illustrative. Her main characters are simple, hard-working people who earn their living by working with their hands, as farmers or cowboys. For The Shipping News (1993) Proulx received many prizes, among which the Pulitzer Prize and The National Book Award. The film adaptation of Brokeback Mountain, directed by Ang Lee won several prizes, among with the Golden Lion, three Oscars, four Golden Globes and four BAFTA’s.