Author Topic: BBM Now a Dutch Play - Premier tonight  (Read 48078 times)

mvansand76

Re: BBM Now a Dutch Play - Premier tonight
« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2007, 09:00:51 am »
Hey guys! I did a search on the internet for reviews this morning, but haven't found anything yet, apart from a promotional poster:

and another photo:

mvansand76

« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2007, 09:09:32 am »
No Fabienne, our language is the COOLEST! Hahahaha!  :laugh:  Have you already decided if you want to go or will you await my review?

I have to agree with you guys on that machine translation, it's so funny how it just skips the words it doesn't know and offers the completely wrong translation for most of the other words.  ;D

LOL at your new signature line, Ellemeno!

Getting more and more excited about seeing the play next Saturday! I am going to try to contact the theatre group and see if they will allow me backstage to talk to the actors and director for a bit. Hey, I managed to get backstage passes for a Gordon Lightfoot concert in New Jersey in April, so this should be a piece of cake! LOL!

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2007, 12:38:56 pm »
Melissa, that's so cool that you can be our very own BetterMostian onsite reporter at the new play!  I hope you enjoy it.  8)

Hey guys! I did a search on the internet for reviews this morning, but haven't found anything yet, apart from a promotional poster:

What an economical image.  Anyone who knows the story recognizes it immediately.  It gets the sex and the sheep in one go.  ;D
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2007, 04:15:04 pm »

What an economical image.  Anyone who knows the story recognizes it immediately.  It gets the sex and the sheep in one go.  ;D

Completely agree about the image Meryl.

Melissa thanks for the translation. Here I was struggling through the Dutch version, and some posts down on the BetterMost page there was a translation  :laugh:.

The thought of them singing in the play really makes me cringe  :o. But who knows, perhaps you'll report it was perfectly fitting.

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2007, 04:20:47 pm »
Have you already decided if you want to go or will you await my review?

I'll wait for you report!  :)

Getting more and more excited about seeing the play next Saturday! I am going to try to contact the theatre group and see if they will allow me backstage to talk to the actors and director for a bit. Hey, I managed to get backstage passes for a Gordon Lightfoot concert in New Jersey in April, so this should be a piece of cake! LOL!

A piece of cherry cake no dought!  :laugh:
I'm sure that when they get that request from a devout brokie, they'll have 'no resistance'. Have a great time Mel !
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #45 on: February 11, 2007, 12:17:35 am »
The literalness of the translations renders it such as to be a delicate as a spring blossom, and as warm as an old shirt straight out of the clothes dryer. From what little I have learned of other languages I see having to opening up the mind to different interpretations is a wonderful exercise that is some how missing from the endless section upon the conjugation of verbs are handled.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #46 on: February 11, 2007, 12:32:52 am »
I just hope all the people who go see this play in Holland don't try to compare it to the movie. I realize this is easier said than done, but the movie and this play are two completely different "animals" both born from Annie's story. Those who watch the play (or musical) after seeing the movie may be sorely disappointed if they try to make such a comparison. I think the reverse would also be true.

Apples and oranges. Both are probably excellent adaptations of the story when judged individually and independent from its counterpart.
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

mvansand76

« Reply #47 on: February 11, 2007, 06:50:07 am »
I just hope all the people who go see this play in Holland don't try to compare it to the movie. I realize this is easier said than done, but the movie and this play are two completely different "animals" both born from Annie's story. Those who watch the play (or musical) after seeing the movie may be sorely disappointed if they try to make such a comparison. I think the reverse would also be true.

Apples and oranges. Both are probably excellent adaptations of the story when judged individually and independent from its counterpart.

Well, I realized that when I read the interviews, and now I am just going to forget about the whole movie (yeah right, as if that is even possible... :laugh:) and see the play for what it is...

Offline Juliette59

• Jr. Ranch Hand
  • "I wish i knew how to quit you" - Jack Twist
« Reply #48 on: February 11, 2007, 06:53:29 am »
I have the tickets, 17-03-2007, can't hardly wait.

mvansand76

« Reply #49 on: February 11, 2007, 07:01:04 am »
I have the tickets, 17-03-2007, can't hardly wait.

Hoi Annemieke, welkom op Bettermost! Hope you have a great time here! Make sure to introduce yourself on the "Introduce yourself" thread!

I can't wait to see it either, will be seeing it next Saturday!  :D