Author Topic: BBM Now a Dutch Play - Premier tonight  (Read 47538 times)

mvansand76

Re: BBM Now a Dutch Play - Premier tonight
« Reply #70 on: February 17, 2007, 06:09:20 pm »
I just got back from seeing Brokeback on stage! (*jumps up and down all excited*)

I took pictures, I have comments and I am gonna post them here!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #71 on: February 17, 2007, 06:11:16 pm »
Whooo-eeee!! Tell us, Melissa!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #72 on: February 17, 2007, 06:32:53 pm »
I just got back from seeing Brokeback on stage! (*jumps up and down all excited*)

I took pictures, I have comments and I am gonna post them here!

<David sits down in his chair, pours a drink and patiently waits for Melissa to start talking... err... typing>

How was it Melissa? We've been waiting all week to hear about this!  :D
« Last Edit: February 17, 2007, 06:36:07 pm by David »
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Mikaela

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #73 on: February 17, 2007, 06:40:46 pm »
Can't wait to hear all about it!  :)

mvansand76

« Reply #74 on: February 17, 2007, 06:50:57 pm »
First, here's two pictures I took of the two actors:

mvansand76

« Reply #75 on: February 17, 2007, 06:55:54 pm »
Just a quick note (not really a review yet...will write that tomorrow)

It was a very interesting experience and the first thing that I noticed while watching it was that it restoked my love for the original short story in a big way. The beautiful descriptions of the desolate nature that surrounds Jack and Ennis, the simplicity of the story line, the heartwrenching loneliness.

The short story is narrated (the whole story is actually read out) by Jack and Ennis and alternates between a narrator voice (either Jack or Ennis) and real dialogue between the two men. The stage was very sober, just two tall crates and a few beams that they walked on.

I really had to let go of the movie and focus on the fact that this is a stage play that is based on the short story. Jack and Ennis were much more like the Jack and Ennis in the story and I had to get used to that. Everything was much more sober and pure. Jack was very different from how I imagine him now (not how he looks, but his character), I think I have to blame the movie for that.

The play is extremely faithful to the short story, it follows the story completely, they don't leave any dialogue out or add any dialogue, it's exactly like the story.

The translation into Dutch was done with so much love for the original story, it was beautifully done.

When I left the theater I decided to wait and listen to the people talk about the play. Everybody was very enthusiastic but I kept hearing people compare it to the movie. This is inevitable I think, but it's not the right comparison.

If you guys have any questions about the play, let me know and I will answer them as best as I can!

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #76 on: February 17, 2007, 07:07:21 pm »
That's great, Melissa!  Thanks for your description.  Can I ask about the singing?  How did it fit in, and were the songs effective?
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #77 on: February 17, 2007, 07:14:22 pm »
Great, Melissa! I would like to know more! David, can I have a sip?
"chewing gum and duct tape"

mvansand76

« Reply #78 on: February 17, 2007, 07:16:52 pm »
That's great, Melissa!  Thanks for your description.  Can I ask about the singing?  How did it fit in, and were the songs effective?

Oh, there were no real songs, they just sang some of the dialogue and some of the most important dialogue and sentences (If you can't fix it... there was some open space between what he knew...) were put into a song that was lazily sung by Jack while Ennis mourned him. It's very difficult to explain, maybe I will do a better job tomorrow!  ;D

mvansand76

« Reply #79 on: February 17, 2007, 07:19:46 pm »
Great, Melissa! I would like to know more! David, can I have a sip?

Hee hee hee! I just took a pain pill because my shoulder and upper back hurt like hell from having to sit in a very uncomfortable theatre seat for 1,5 hours....so I am gonna go to sleep!

Anything you want to know, just ask and I will answer it first thing tomorrow morning! I will also write an extensive review!