Author Topic: Camden Yards by debutante9 (Kumari)  (Read 48079 times)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Camden Yards by debutante9 (Kumari)
« on: February 17, 2007, 09:39:20 am »
There was a request to start a thread for this story.

Four chapters have been posted so far:

Chapter 1: http://debutante9.livejournal.com/7483.html

Chapter 2: http://debutante9.livejournal.com/8176.html

Chapter 3, part 1: http://debutante9.livejournal.com/9126.html

Chapter 3, part 2: http://debutante9.livejournal.com/9420.html

Chapter 4: http://debutante9.livejournal.com/9809.html

From the author's description:

Jack and Ennis have been the best of friends for 15 years. Their wives, Lureen and Alma, are also friends. The four of them have been through it all together and consider each other and their children to be like family. Jack and Ennis have been season ticket holders to the Baltimore Orioles since their friendship began during a summer job at the Inner Harbor. This story takes place over the course of one baseball season where one missed game changes everything.

Enjoy....

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

mvansand76

Re: Camden Yards by debutante9 (Kumari)
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2007, 09:42:50 am »
Thanks Leslie! This is such a great story until now! The characterisations are really well done and the dialogue is so vivid! Can't wait to read the next chapter...

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2007, 10:25:34 am »
Oh, yeah - thanks, Leslie.  IMO, this is one of those not-to-be-missed fics.  The author has such a great way of showing us this tight bond between Ennis and Jack and we get to see all the subtle signs that they have not yet allowed themselves to see.  It's a fascinating journey to that promised "one missed game" and beyond.

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline littleguitar

• She was always a lonely child...
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2007, 10:47:20 am »
I think I'll be starting this one tonight, I've been meaning to for quite some time but since Kumari is a fairly slow updater I keep telling myself I don't need to start it right away because I know I'll get through the 4 chapters and want more immediately.

IMO, this is one of the best writers in the fandom, I haven't even read this yet and I want to recommend it. Kumari is a poet, her characters are unique and intriguing and they will always do the unexpected in the very best ways.
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

-- del Mar Painting, Ch. 48 by b73

mvansand76

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2007, 08:02:30 am »
Oh, she is a slow updater? I didn't know that, I worried if she was gonna update after chapter 3, and I was so happy to see that she hadn't abandoned it! Well, we will just have to be patient. I'm not going anywhere! ;D

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2007, 10:54:30 am »
Oh, she is a slow updater?

Yes, Mel!! Very slow!  ;D but so worth it. I was kind of 'out' of Ronin and CY  :o  but after the last two updates I'm completely sucked in again!! And it feels great!  ;D

mvansand76

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2007, 11:45:52 am »
Yes, Mel!! Very slow!  ;D but so worth it. I was kind of 'out' of Ronin and CY  :o  but after the last two updates I'm completely sucked in again!! And it feels great!  ;D

Oh I don't mind, as long as I know she intends on finishing it, then I am OK with it! But how do we ever know that for sure?  :-\

Offline blacktears

• Jr. Ranch Hand
  • Hudson Heartbreak
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2007, 10:43:59 pm »
I love this fic.
It's the true 'Seinfield' of BBM fan fic.

The electricy is so strong between J and E and they havent even touched yet.
But that doesn't matter to me. I am just enjoying watching the twists and turns of their minds as they realize that maybe the lives they lead are lies.

The entire Abbey/Ennis or Abbey/Jack situation (who knows?  ???) has me greatly confused and interested.
Thoughts?
Proud Supporter, Writer, and Reader of RPS

Offline littleguitar

• She was always a lonely child...
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2007, 06:11:28 pm »
Oh I don't mind, as long as I know she intends on finishing it, then I am OK with it! But how do we ever know that for sure?  :-\

I'm pretty sure she'll be finishing. I think her slow updates are more due to writing three fics at once than anything else and she's said that The Wolf and the Thunderbird will be ending soon which will make updates on her other two come more quickly.
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

-- del Mar Painting, Ch. 48 by b73

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2007, 06:55:36 pm »
SPOILER

The entire Abbey/Ennis or Abbey/Jack situation (who knows?  ???) has me greatly confused and interested.
Thoughts?

Yeah, that is interesting.  I'm not sure how significant the Abbey character is or how big a role she will play.  I can't tell if the scene in the restaurant was simply there to show us that Ennis takes his marriage vows seriously or if there is more to it than that.  And then Jack mentions Abbey when they are shopping - hmmm - is that just Jack being Jack or something more?  Can't wait to see.

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain