Author Topic: Camden Yards by debutante9 (Kumari)  (Read 48062 times)

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
Re: Camden Yards by debutante9 (Kumari)
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2007, 09:47:15 am »
Oh no, you were reading the comments? We should have put spoiler above them, because these really are EXTREMELY SPOILER-Y comments...

:(

Don't continue reading these comments David!

I know - I thought the same thing when I read David's post.  Sorry, David - we get swept away!

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

mvansand76

« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2007, 07:28:13 am »
OK, I have the first chapters of CY printed out and I have carried them around in my bag for weeks now and I finally started rereading the first two chapters this morning on the train and this stood out for me in the dialogue:

“Ah, your hair. Jack wiped the sauce from his hands and put one on Ennis’ shoulder. “Remember how you had a mullet then?” Jack sighed with mock nostalgia.

Ennis took his time with his response. He sipped some beer, ate more of his sandwich, and wiped his mouth. He saw Jack watching him, smiling, waiting to see what he would come up with.

Ennis turned to Jack when he was ready. “Remember when you thought you was Rob Lowe for a week?”

Jack lurched forward and covered his mouth to keep himself from spitting beer on the guy in front of him. He swallowed it with a gurgle and erupted into a choking cough. Once his coughing was under control, he whacked Ennis across the chest with his forearm. He belched loudly and leaned back into his seat; turning his Oriole cap backwards.

“You killed me. I’m dead. Fuck you.”

“You started it,” Ennis mused, draining his beer.

I absolutely adore her dialogue! It's so real, it's so much like best friends banter, it's so cute!

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2007, 06:05:34 pm »
SPOILER

OK, I have the first chapters of CY printed out and I have carried them around in my bag for weeks now and I finally started rereading the first two chapters this morning on the train and this stood out for me in the dialogue:

“Ah, your hair. Jack wiped the sauce from his hands and put one on Ennis’ shoulder. “Remember how you had a mullet then?” Jack sighed with mock nostalgia.

Ennis took his time with his response. He sipped some beer, ate more of his sandwich, and wiped his mouth. He saw Jack watching him, smiling, waiting to see what he would come up with.

Ennis turned to Jack when he was ready. “Remember when you thought you was Rob Lowe for a week?”

Jack lurched forward and covered his mouth to keep himself from spitting beer on the guy in front of him. He swallowed it with a gurgle and erupted into a choking cough. Once his coughing was under control, he whacked Ennis across the chest with his forearm. He belched loudly and leaned back into his seat; turning his Oriole cap backwards.

“You killed me. I’m dead. Fuck you.”

“You started it,” Ennis mused, draining his beer.

I absolutely adore her dialogue! It's so real, it's so much like best friends banter, it's so cute!

Yep - ditto to all that.  These are two people who totally enjoy and appreciate each other.  Also, this little scene is a great example of what I mentioned earlier - how Jack so often touches Ennis - a hand on the shoulder, even a "whack" on the chest - once I started looking for it, I noticed it more and more throughout the story - very subtle - but very meaningful.  I'm so anxious for an update!

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

mvansand76

« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2007, 11:49:14 am »
Chapter 6 is up!!!!!! *Faints*

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2007, 12:15:25 pm »
Here's a link to Chapter 6....

http://debutante9.livejournal.com/12933.html#cutid1

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

mvansand76

« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2007, 12:52:43 pm »
Here's a link to Chapter 6....

http://debutante9.livejournal.com/12933.html#cutid1

Leslie

Yeah, didn't think about that, I was dead on the floor, you see....  ;D

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2007, 04:48:44 pm »
Yeah, didn't think about that, I was dead on the floor, you see....  ;D

Yep, I'll bet there are a lot of "dead on the floor" readers of that chapter.  Damn.  That was so well-written - and it's not just what happens, it's also the process that's executed so well.   

Marie

mvansand76

« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2007, 04:57:08 pm »
Yep, I'll bet there are a lot of "dead on the floor" readers of that chapter.  Damn.  That was so well-written - and it's not just what happens, it's also the process that's executed so well.   

Marie

I so agree, Marie! I loved the steps they took toward each other and the little flirtations that came almost automatically because they are already so close. This is such a great story, I loved that she showed us some things about Lureen and Alma too, it gives an extra layer to the story. And the ending, I really thought I was gonna pass out!

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2007, 05:17:30 pm »
I so agree, Marie! I loved the steps they took toward each other and the little flirtations that came almost automatically because they are already so close. This is such a great story, I loved that she showed us some things about Lureen and Alma too, it gives an extra layer to the story. And the ending, I really thought I was gonna pass out!

"...the little flirtations that came almost automatically because they are already so close..."    Yes, exactly, Mel!   The fact that they have been best friends for so many years adds such a different dynamic to ....everything.  The Lureen and Alma conversation was interesting and enlightening as to the different relationships they have with their husbands.  Yeah, the ending was a heart pounder . . . loved that the first word of the chapter was "....Jack...." and the last word of the chapter was "...Ennis...."     Guh.   

Marie

mvansand76

« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2007, 05:28:39 pm »
"...the little flirtations that came almost automatically because they are already so close..."    Yes, exactly, Mel!   The fact that they have been best friends for so many years adds such a different dynamic to ....everything.  The Lureen and Alma conversation was interesting and enlightening as to the different relationships they have with their husbands.  Yeah, the ending was a heart pounder . . . loved that the first word of the chapter was "....Jack...." and the last word of the chapter was "...Ennis...."     Guh.   

Marie

I didn't even notice that bookend!  :o Guh indeed!  :P

I also loved how Jack said that about "Happen, please let happen again", I adored that because it is so true to life, everybody who has fallen in love with somebody can relate to that feeling.

God, this must be one of the best fanfiction chapters I have read in a LONG while....