Author Topic: Camden Yards by debutante9 (Kumari)  (Read 48077 times)

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
Re: Camden Yards by debutante9 (Kumari)
« Reply #80 on: August 10, 2007, 06:19:17 pm »

Oh God, Marie, I cannot bear the thought of Jack being hurt like this. I would not be able to write such a scene, I would try to protect Jack from everything and the whole story would get screwed, hahahaha! I feel very protective over Jack. This Jack is so deeply in love, and it's gonna hurt like hell when he finds out.

I know.  I cringe just thinking about it. If it happens like that, I'll have to skim through really fast, with one eye closed, and then go into denial until they make-up.  LOL!  But it was Jude that told Jack that Abbey slipped Ennis her phone number.  Can we hope that Abbey keeps her mouth shut about it?  Sigh.  The fact that Ennis can't bring himself to tell Jack looks like foreshadowing to me.  But, I might be totally off base on all of this.  Maybe I'm projecting my own feelings onto the situation.  Maybe Jack will be more understanding than I'm giving him credit for.  He knows Ennis really well, after all. Maybe he'll be more hurt that Ennis didn't confide in him than by what he did with Abbey?   I don't know what to think.   I can see it going any number of ways. And you're right - there is the possibility that Jack won't find out or that Ennis will end up telling him himself.  Now, that would be a surprise!

You never know with Kumari!  :laugh: I sure wish she would tell us in detail what happened in that room. Hahaha! I think there will be a scene where they are together with both their families. Then there might be the fishing trip.

What do you think?

I guess the only thing we can be sure of is that we can't be sure!  She might surprise us and pick up exactly where she left off!   And, oh yeah, I want detail - to use baseball lingo, play-by-play color commentary!  :laugh:

I know it's only been one day, but what's your best guess for next chapter ETA?

:-*
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

mvansand76

« Reply #81 on: August 11, 2007, 02:53:34 pm »

I know.  I cringe just thinking about it. If it happens like that, I'll have to skim through really fast, with one eye closed, and then go into denial until they make-up.  LOL!  But it was Jude that told Jack that Abbey slipped Ennis her phone number.  Can we hope that Abbey keeps her mouth shut about it?  Sigh.  The fact that Ennis can't bring himself to tell Jack looks like foreshadowing to me.  But, I might be totally off base on all of this.  Maybe I'm projecting my own feelings onto the situation.  Maybe Jack will be more understanding than I'm giving him credit for.  He knows Ennis really well, after all. Maybe he'll be more hurt that Ennis didn't confide in him than by what he did with Abbey?   I don't know what to think.   I can see it going any number of ways. And you're right - there is the possibility that Jack won't find out or that Ennis will end up telling him himself.  Now, that would be a surprise!

Yes, I remember though that when Jack found out that Ennis had Abbey's number, he wasn't so much upset about the fact that he had her number, but more about that he didn't tell Jack about it. I hope Ennis will be able to explain it to him without fucking everything up between them, he's not very vocal about his feelings, but he might have to beg and tell him how much he loves him as a friend and a lover now....

I guess the only thing we can be sure of is that we can't be sure!  She might surprise us and pick up exactly where she left off!   And, oh yeah, I want detail - to use baseball lingo, play-by-play color commentary!  :laugh:

Hahaha! I definitely wouldn't mind reading about everything that happened after us poor readers were robbed of that nice view we had! LOL!

I know it's only been one day, but what's your best guess for next chapter ETA?

Oh tonight I hope! Hahaha! It was early this time. I love that about this fic, there's no other fic that makes me jump up like this when it's being updated, and I think that's because of the element of surprise. Kumari hardly answers the comments on her lj, and she doesn't talk about when she updates, so it's always a surprise when she does.

Did you read that piece of original fiction she posted? I did, it's very well-written and intriguing, but I wasn't sure if it was just a teaser or a whole story, because it ended pretty abruptly!

Oh you know what I was thinking? You know how I thought Jack was a bit selfish sometimes? I had that feeling in this chapter again. When his father calls him and Jack "shoots his ass to voicemail" ( :laugh:), he is not very understanding about Ennis just having lost his father-in-law, 'cause I think that's what Ennis hints at when he says "what's the matter with you?". What do you think?

OK back to writing Ennis and Jack on their first date after having had sex on a 747!  ;D

Mel

mvansand76

« Reply #82 on: August 11, 2007, 03:17:16 pm »
Oh another thing I was wondering about... what do you think Jack meant by "I would have done anything to get you over here tonight. Anything.”

I wonder about the emphasis he puts on "Anything.”

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #83 on: August 11, 2007, 05:57:19 pm »
Did you read that piece of original fiction she posted? I did, it's very well-written and intriguing, but I wasn't sure if it was just a teaser or a whole story, because it ended pretty abruptly!

No, I haven't read it, Mel, but thanks for the heads-up.  I'm open to all kinds of writing so I'll definitely check it out.

I agree about the element of surprise that surrounds everything about this fic - where it's going, how she'll handle the betrayal angle, how it will end, and even how long it will be and when it will update - it all adds to the build-up and the intensity.

Oh you know what I was thinking? You know how I thought Jack was a bit selfish sometimes? I had that feeling in this chapter again. When his father calls him and Jack "shoots his ass to voicemail" ( :laugh:), he is not very understanding about Ennis just having lost his father-in-law, 'cause I think that's what Ennis hints at when he says "what's the matter with you?". What do you think?

Yeah, I noticed that.  I don't know if he's being selfish or just thoughtless(which I guess can be selfish).  I think they've had this discussion before, and, you're right,  Ennis is more sensitive to it right now because of Hank's recent death.   It looks like it also has a lot to do with Ennis losing his own dad at an early age:

Ennis sat up. “What’s the matter with you?”

“Nothing, you know how I feel about him, so why are we even talking about this?”

“You only get one, that’s all I’m sayin,” Ennis murmured.

“One what?”

“One father.”

“Who in the fuck would want two of him?”

“But that’s all you get.”

And even when Jack points out that Ennis's dad was a bastard, Ennis is still defensive of him, rationalizing that his dad had to teach his boys to be "a certain way" or else they'd get into trouble.  Which is a very Ennis way of thinking.  Now I'm wondering, what exactly is the deal with Jack's dad.  Did he beat Jack and is that the reason for his hatred or is there another story?  I'm guessing we'll hear more. 

Oh another thing I was wondering about... what do you think Jack meant by "I would have done anything to get you over here tonight. Anything.”

I wonder about the emphasis he puts on "Anything.”

Oh, God, didn't that kill you?  I interpreted the emphasis on the second "Anything" as just that - an emphasis on how completely desperate he is because right before that he says:

“It’s like...my head is exploding. What if we’ve always been like this, what if that’s the truth?” Jack whispered. “I can’t work; I can’t sleep, just thinking of you. It’s so bad;......

Which may also be telling us that these guys may become pretty reckless because I think Ennis is feeling just as desperate as Jack, and when you're desperate and willing to do "anything" you don't always think rationally. 

OK back to writing Ennis and Jack on their first date after having had sex on a 747!  ;D

Date?  I like the sound of that!   ;D

The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

mvansand76

« Reply #84 on: August 12, 2007, 01:42:25 pm »
No, I haven't read it, Mel, but thanks for the heads-up.  I'm open to all kinds of writing so I'll definitely check it out.

She has just posted the 4th installment of this story.... It's on her lj.
I agree about the element of surprise that surrounds everything about this fic - where it's going, how she'll handle the betrayal angle, how it will end, and even how long it will be and when it will update - it all adds to the build-up and the intensity.

You know there is a chance that she doesn't know where this is going to end either. I write like that most of the time, I make some sort of outline and then when I start writing the chapter, I find out what the characters want exactly, and sometimes it's different from what I had in mind for them. So Kumari might write like that too and she might know where the story is heading, but doesn't yet know the path the characters are going to take. It's interesting though, I would love to hear more about how she writes.

Yeah, I noticed that.  I don't know if he's being selfish or just thoughtless(which I guess can be selfish).  I think they've had this discussion before, and, you're right,  Ennis is more sensitive to it right now because of Hank's recent death.   It looks like it also has a lot to do with Ennis losing his own dad at an early age:

Aaaah yes, it's more thoughtless than selfish, you are right. Yes, I think there will be a lot more to the whole parents story.

Oh, God, didn't that kill you?  I interpreted the emphasis on the second "Anything" as just that - an emphasis on how completely desperate he is because right before that he says:

“It’s like...my head is exploding. What if we’ve always been like this, what if that’s the truth?” Jack whispered. “I can’t work; I can’t sleep, just thinking of you. It’s so bad;......

Which may also be telling us that these guys may become pretty reckless because I think Ennis is feeling just as desperate as Jack, and when you're desperate and willing to do "anything" you don't always think rationally. 

Reckless, definitely, I think they are gonna get caught up in each other even more. Well, that's what 15 years of denial does to you, right? If it suddenly comes out, it doesn't go back in, that's for sure.

Hey you know what I thought? There's no way Ennis can go home after well, you know, coming in his pants three times, right? LOL! So, next chapter will start with a shower scene! There! What do you think? Let's send in a request!

Mel

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #85 on: August 12, 2007, 07:05:39 pm »
You know there is a chance that she doesn't know where this is going to end either. I write like that most of the time, I make some sort of outline and then when I start writing the chapter, I find out what the characters want exactly, and sometimes it's different from what I had in mind for them. So Kumari might write like that too and she might know where the story is heading, but doesn't yet know the path the characters are going to take. It's interesting though, I would love to hear more about how she writes.

Oh, I like how you put that -  knowing where the story is headed, but not the path.  And with a story like CY, so many of the paths are minefields! 

Aaaah yes, it's more thoughtless than selfish, you are right. Yes, I think there will be a lot more to the whole parents story.

Considering they've been best friends for 15 years, I'm guessing Ennis has met Jack's parents.  Now I'm wondering what he thinks of them and what they think of him. 

Reckless, definitely, I think they are gonna get caught up in each other even more. Well, that's what 15 years of denial does to you, right? If it suddenly comes out, it doesn't go back in, that's for sure.

No turning back now- they have definitely crossed the point of no return.  Those first stages of intense romantic love and lust are so intense - it's hard not to be reckless - and even more so with these two because, as you've pointed out, there are years of bottled up feelings on top of all that.  Whew!

Hey you know what I thought? There's no way Ennis can go home after well, you know, coming in his pants three times, right? LOL! So, next chapter will start with a shower scene! There! What do you think? Let's send in a request!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:  Mel, that's hilarious.

OMG, CYJack + CYEnnis + Shower = Marie's head exploding!   :o

Hope you're writing!   :-*

mvansand76

« Reply #86 on: August 13, 2007, 12:46:48 pm »

Considering they've been best friends for 15 years, I'm guessing Ennis has met Jack's parents.  Now I'm wondering what he thinks of them and what they think of him. 

Oh yeah, they might consider themselves upper class and Ennis and his family not worthy?

No turning back now- they have definitely crossed the point of no return.  Those first stages of intense romantic love and lust are so intense - it's hard not to be reckless - and even more so with these two because, as you've pointed out, there are years of bottled up feelings on top of all that.  Whew!

Yeah, I wonder where she is gonna take that. CYJack+CYEnnis+Bottled up feelings= *PHEW*

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:  Mel, that's hilarious.

OMG, CYJack + CYEnnis + Shower = Marie's head exploding!   :o

Nice equation! LOL! Mine is exploding too, wish I could write it!

Hope you're writing!   :-*

Oh yes, I am!!!! I am not gonna be able to post this Friday though, this chapter needs to be just right, so I will work on it on my Holiday, and I might even post two chapters of Altitude when I come back. I am posting the first chapter of Liberation tomorrow!

:D

Oh I have to ask you something else, I will send you a PM.

Mel  :)

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #87 on: August 13, 2007, 01:31:45 pm »
Oh yeah, they might consider themselves upper class and Ennis and his family not worthy?

I haven't thought that far ahead yet, but, from what Jack said about his mother, that's a possibility.  I think "consider themselves" is the right phrase.  From what Jack said, his mother is a bit pretentious. 

The "equations"  for CYJack and CYEnnis are endless, arent' they?  LOL!  I hope we get at least one equation in the next chapter!  ;D

I'm looking forward to the first chapter of "Liberation"!  It's nice that you've got two more fics started, especially since RWYA is coming to a (perfect) end.   ;)

mvansand76

« Reply #88 on: August 14, 2007, 08:19:20 am »

The "equations"  for CYJack and CYEnnis are endless, arent' they?  LOL!  I hope we get at least one equation in the next chapter!  ;D

CYEnnis+CYJack+shower=  :o
CYEnnis+CYJack+tent= :o
CYEnnis+CYJack+fishing trip=  :o
CYEnnis+CYJack+away game=  :o
CYEnnis+CYJack+anywhere alone=  :o

I'm looking forward to the first chapter of "Liberation"!  It's nice that you've got two more fics started, especially since RWYA is coming to a (perfect) end.   ;)

Yeah, I am planning to update Liberation one week and the week after, Altitude, so that I post a new chapter every week!

I read a great comment on Kumari's lj, somebody said that Jack will be more upset that Ennis didn't tell him about Abbey because that would mean that they lost some part of the close friendship that they used to have and that makes Jack realise that they might not be able to have both: be best friends AND lovers.

What do you think?

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #89 on: August 14, 2007, 12:54:36 pm »
CYEnnis+CYJack+shower=  :o
CYEnnis+CYJack+tent= :o
CYEnnis+CYJack+fishing trip=  :o
CYEnnis+CYJack+away game=  :o
CYEnnis+CYJack+anywhere alone=  :o

Never liked math this much before.  ;D

I read a great comment on Kumari's lj, somebody said that Jack will be more upset that Ennis didn't tell him about Abbey because that would mean that they lost some part of the close friendship that they used to have and that makes Jack realise that they might not be able to have both: be best friends AND lovers.

What do you think?

Yeah, it's what Jack fears immediately after that first kiss in Chapter 5:

He walked towards the couch with his back to Ennis, telling himself that he would show some restraint for once in his life. He wouldn’t fuck up what was pure, his only true thing.

Things will be different, that's for sure - how could they not be?  They have entered uncharted territory.  But the way they transitioned between awkward sex and regular talk shows me that they have an ingrained comfort level with each other that they don't have with anyone else.  And I think (I hope?) that this is what will see them through what will undoubtedly be some very rocky times ahead.  It's also the core of the story and what makes this premise so fascinating to me. 

(Yay for Liberation!)  :)
Marie