Author Topic: Camden Yards by debutante9 (Kumari)  (Read 48229 times)

mvansand76

Re: Camden Yards by debutante9 (Kumari)
« Reply #90 on: August 14, 2007, 01:30:56 pm »

Never liked math this much before.  ;D

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Do we already have a picture of Ennis and one of Jack of how we picture them? We need one on this thread...

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
« Reply #91 on: August 15, 2007, 01:33:05 pm »
How about this:

These two look like best buds, don't they? The Orioles just won a big game!

(But that wine glass should be a beer can.)
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

mvansand76

« Reply #92 on: August 15, 2007, 03:26:41 pm »
How about this:

These two look like best buds, don't they? The Orioles just won a big game!

(But that wine glass should be a beer can.)

And Jake/Jack should be holding a bottle of Listerine!

:laugh: O0

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #93 on: August 15, 2007, 08:13:37 pm »
And Jake/Jack should be holding a bottle of Listerine!

:laugh: O0

Hee! Hee!  Good one, Mel  :laugh:
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

mvansand76

« Reply #94 on: August 17, 2007, 04:50:47 pm »
Now, you know what would be great, if I come back from my holiday next week and I find out I have missed the next chapter of CY!  ;D

God, this story is so good, I think I might start rereading it from the beginning this week!

:-*

Mel

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #95 on: September 23, 2007, 11:18:38 am »

mvansand76

« Reply #96 on: September 23, 2007, 11:59:58 am »
Chapter 9 is up!!!!!

http://debutante9.livejournal.com/16708.html

Marie

Wow, those last lines... I was really shocked when Jack hit Bobby with the belt. I didn't see that coming at all, and it made me mad as hell. I hope this is the last time he does that and that they are going to be each other's rock. But things were going so well for Bobby in the shed with Junior, right, what do you think happened? Oh God, I feel so sorry for the Twist boys.

I honestly thought that Jack was gonna spill the beans on him and Ennis during the fight with Lureen, especially when she mentioned the 'gang of whores'. I think it's telling that he never told her about it. Had he already imagined divorcing her and moving there? Was he already envisioning something with Ennis?

The whole Lysol/Febreze conversation was adorable. How cute is Jack, being shy and all, looking down at his shoes... He really is deeply in love, but deeply troubled at the same time. I loved how he asked when they could see each other again, I could almost see that hopeful gaze of his. You know, Ennis keeps amazing me, in this chapter with the Febreze joke, not shying away from what is going on between them and what they have already shared.

While Jack and Lureen's marriage is volatile and on the verge of crumbling, that of Ennis and Alma seems alright. They don't argue that much, just seem to be stuck in a rut, despite the trip they took to Ocean City. LOL. However, no way that marriage is gonna make it now that Ennis and Jack have discovered each other in more ways than they could have possibly imagined. Well, ok, there are more ways still to discover, and hopefully we will find out all we can about that in the next chapter...

:D

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #97 on: September 23, 2007, 03:16:43 pm »
SPOILERS

Wow, those last lines... I was really shocked when Jack hit Bobby with the belt. I didn't see that coming at all, and it made me mad as hell. I hope this is the last time he does that and that they are going to be each other's rock. But things were going so well for Bobby in the shed with Junior, right, what do you think happened? Oh God, I feel so sorry for the Twist boys.

Yeah, as I said in my comment, that last scene with Bobby and Jack was gut-wrenching and heartbreaking (but, I saw a glimmer of hope there for the two of them).  I didn't expect Jack to take off his belt,yeah that surprised me - but I do understand what Kumari is showing us.  Was Jack angry?  Well, yeah...but I don't think that's the reason for the belt.  Jack is scared to death for Bobby and for himself - and he just doesn't know where to go with that.  And I do get the feeling that he was, unfortunately, repeating some really bad parenting that was given to him as a child.  I do hope his violence and Bobby's reaction was a wake-up call - it seemed like it could be.  Of all the characters in this story, I feel sorriest for Bobby - he's so damn young and trying so hard not to be.

As far as how things were going with Junior in the shed - I think Bobby had already been drinking when they went into the shed, and he had more to drink to give himself courage at her challenge that he was "too young." I do wonder how they left each other.....will Ennis find Junior passed out and throwing up, too? 

I find the Bobby/Jack, Ennis/Junior, Jack/Ennis, Bobby/Junior parallels fascinating, and brilliantly done:

Junior took Bobby’s hand and kissed it. “You’re all wrong for me,” she whispered.

.....“Yeah, I’m wrong for the fake Perfection Junior, but not for the real you.”

I honestly thought that Jack was gonna spill the beans on him and Ennis during the fight with Lureen, especially when she mentioned the 'gang of whores'. I think it's telling that he never told her about it. Had he already imagined divorcing her and moving there? Was he already envisioning something with Ennis?

Hmmm.. ya know, no, I didn't get the feeling Jack wanted to spill the beans about Ennis.  I have more of the feeling that what's happening between he and Ennis is so special, so new, and so tentative, that he doesn't have the desire to share it yet - even in a fit of anger at Lureen.  Hard to explain, but I have the feeling he doesn't think she's "worthy" of hearing about it - like it's the only "real" part of him and he doesn't want her to know - she doesn't deserve to know, because he feels so disrespected by her in their marriage.  Does that make any sense?

The whole Lysol/Febreze conversation was adorable. How cute is Jack, being shy and all, looking down at his shoes... He really is deeply in love, but deeply troubled at the same time. I loved how he asked when they could see each other again, I could almost see that hopeful gaze of his. You know, Ennis keeps amazing me, in this chapter with the Febreze joke, not shying away from what is going on between them and what they have already shared.

Yep, adorable is the word, and, yeah, I do love the sort of role reversal, with Jack being shy and Ennis cracking the joke....I have the feeling we haven't seen the last of these role reversals, so to speak.....

While Jack and Lureen's marriage is volatile and on the verge of crumbling, that of Ennis and Alma seems alright. They don't argue that much, just seem to be stuck in a rut, despite the trip they took to Ocean City. LOL. However, no way that marriage is gonna make it now that Ennis and Jack have discovered each other in more ways than they could have possibly imagined. Well, ok, there are more ways still to discover, and hopefully we will find out all we can about that in the next chapter...

Yeah, I think rut is probably a good description, not unusual for a lot of marriages after a number of years.  But, unlike Jack and Lureen, Alma and Ennis have no animosity for each other; in fact, just the opposite - you can see that they respect each other and do love each other in their own way.  I like this Alma a lot - she's funny and sincere and I think she's going to be a lot tougher than she may appear to be. 

I've said it before - the shit is going to hit the fan in this story on so many levels, in so many ways, and with such intensity ....damn.  And, yeah, I don't have any idea what will happen in the next chapter, there are just too many possibilities!

Was it about a month between chapters?  Not too bad, at all!

Marie

mvansand76

« Reply #98 on: September 23, 2007, 04:47:14 pm »
Yeah, as I said in my comment, that last scene with Bobby and Jack was gut-wrenching and heartbreaking (but, I saw a glimmer of hope there for the two of them).  I didn't expect Jack to take off his belt,yeah that surprised me - but I do understand what Kumari is showing us.  Was Jack angry?  Well, yeah...but I don't think that's the reason for the belt.  Jack is scared to death for Bobby and for himself - and he just doesn't know where to go with that.  And I do get the feeling that he was, unfortunately, repeating some really bad parenting that was given to him as a child.  I do hope his violence and Bobby's reaction was a wake-up call - it seemed like it could be.  Of all the characters in this story, I feel sorriest for Bobby - he's so damn young and trying so hard not to be.

Yeah, it surprised the hell out of me, because I didn't think of Jack as being the kind of person to do that, because he hates his dad so much and would despise himself if he turned out just like him. Do you think it's the first time he hit him? You know what I think is gonna happen in the next chapter? The fishing trip! It makes sense, doesn't it. Jack has promised it and he'll probably bring Ennis because Bobby knows they always go together. Or is it just wishful thinking from my part that they go on the fishing trip, the three of them? It could make for some really interesting confrontations between them three.

As far as how things were going with Junior in the shed - I think Bobby had already been drinking when they went into the shed, and he had more to drink to give himself courage at her challenge that he was "too young." I do wonder how they left each other.....will Ennis find Junior passed out and throwing up, too? 

I find the Bobby/Jack, Ennis/Junior, Jack/Ennis, Bobby/Junior parallels fascinating, and brilliantly done:

Junior took Bobby’s hand and kissed it. “You’re all wrong for me,” she whispered.

.....“Yeah, I’m wrong for the fake Perfection Junior, but not for the real you.”

Oh God, I loved that dialogue. Jack and Ennis could have said that to each other! I hope we're not gonna plunge straight into the angst in the next chapter, I want some happy J&E scenes, they need to do some more exploring!  :-\

Hmmm.. ya know, no, I didn't get the feeling Jack wanted to spill the beans about Ennis.  I have more of the feeling that what's happening between he and Ennis is so special, so new, and so tentative, that he doesn't have the desire to share it yet - even in a fit of anger at Lureen.  Hard to explain, but I have the feeling he doesn't think she's "worthy" of hearing about it - like it's the only "real" part of him and he doesn't want her to know - she doesn't deserve to know, because he feels so disrespected by her in their marriage.  Does that make any sense?

That makes sense, and yes, it feels that way too. But I only felt it when she said about the whores, because maybe in Jack's mind she was disrespecting Ennis because the only person that will be allowed in the house, to our knowledge, next to Bobby and Ennis's kids, is Ennis himself. Huh? Now, there's something that doesn't make sense. Mmmm.... Lemme think. Yes, Ok...  :-\ :( ::)

Yep, adorable is the word, and, yeah, I do love the sort of role reversal, with Jack being shy and Ennis cracking the joke....I have the feeling we haven't seen the last of these role reversals, so to speak.....

That's what I find so refreshing about this story, Ennis never reacts the way you expect him to react, he's nothing like canon Ennis.

Yeah, I think rut is probably a good description, not unusual for a lot of marriages after a number of years.  But, unlike Jack and Lureen, Alma and Ennis have no animosity for each other; in fact, just the opposite - you can see that they respect each other and do love each other in their own way.  I like this Alma a lot - she's funny and sincere and I think she's going to be a lot tougher than she may appear to be. 

I kinda like her, at least much more than in the movie. And it's OK to like her, even if she is still an obstacle to overcome if J and E want to be happy together. She's gonna be soooo hurt, it's sad to think about it.

Hugs, Mel

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #99 on: September 23, 2007, 09:36:27 pm »
Yeah, it surprised the hell out of me, because I didn't think of Jack as being the kind of person to do that, because he hates his dad so much and would despise himself if he turned out just like him. Do you think it's the first time he hit him? You know what I think is gonna happen in the next chapter? The fishing trip! It makes sense, doesn't it. Jack has promised it and he'll probably bring Ennis because Bobby knows they always go together. Or is it just wishful thinking from my part that they go on the fishing trip, the three of them? It could make for some really interesting confrontations between them three.

Well, I hope it was the first and last time he hits him!  I think Jack scared himself with how out-of-control he got. You're much better at predictions than I am - the fishing trip is a good possibility, especially with Jack feeling the way he does right now and wanting to make things right with Bobby.

What you said about Lureen disrespecting Ennis makes sense - I think Jack is very protective of Ennis, and he would be especially protective in the face of any disapproval on Lureen's part (this reminds me of something in the first chapter -  I think Lureen made a smart remark about Ennis in a tux or something and Jack bristled at it - that told us something right from the start, about both Jack and Lureen).

That's what I find so refreshing about this story, Ennis never reacts the way you expect him to react, he's nothing like canon Ennis.

Yeah, I expected a bit more resistance from him - but, having said that, it was pretty much like canon Ennis to try and deny what happened with Jack and run to Abbey (wince).  It may be too early to tell. And so far, they are still meeting in secret (comparable to "way the hell out in the middle of nowhere").  What will happen if (when?) Jack demands the equivalent of a little cow and calf operation?  I can't see Ennis just "going for it." I don't think he's allowed himself to think that far ahead to the possibilities of each of them leaving their wives and families.  So, if we get to that point, he may very well behave like canon Ennis.  And you know what really worries me?  Ennis's reaction when he finds out that Junior is not his little miss perfect.  I'm very afraid that he's going to blame Bobby for that - and that that will, in turn, cause a strain between him and Jack.  I hope not - but this stuff with Junior and Bobby has to come out eventually, right? 

I kinda like her, at least much more than in the movie. And it's OK to like her, even if she is still an obstacle to overcome if J and E want to be happy together. She's gonna be soooo hurt, it's sad to think about it. 

Well, I've never been one to dislike Alma, even in the movie and ss.  I always felt she got a bum deal; she really wasn't the obstacle between J&E because they were divorced for years.  But CY Alma - I actively like her.  She seems so sincerely concerned about Jack and Lureen (which is so sad and pathetic because she has no idea that she should be concerned for her own marriage).  Plus, I think Ennis sincerely cares about her - but you're right - she is much more of an obstacle in this story (but not the only obstacle by far).   And you're also right that she is going to be blindsided and soooo hurt.  And the fact that I do feel symparthy for her is a sign of good writing (just like I felt sorry for Alma in RWYA  ;)).

And I'm scared of angst in the next chapter .... I want happy exploring, too!  ;D  :-*