Author Topic: Oscar Upsets! Help NEEDED!  (Read 5624 times)

slayers_creek_oth

Oscar Upsets! Help NEEDED!
« on: April 18, 2006, 02:56:57 pm »
I am in the process of writing a detailed Wikipedia article about Oscar upsets.  I know the obvious Crash over Brokeback, Shakespeare over Saving etc....but what are some other major upsets?  Would you consider Braveheart over Sense and Sensibility an upset?  Titanic over LA Conf?  Gandhi over ET? 

It doesn't have to be just Best Picture upsets either....any upsets in the acting, directing etc. categories will be great too....

Someone who knows Oscars please help...

Thanks in advance...

Offline chefjudy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "a pair a deuces"
Re: Oscar Upsets! Help NEEDED!
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2006, 02:58:18 pm »
 >:(  Shakespeare in Love over Saving Private Ryan was a big upset a few years ago..............
Judy

"it could be like this, just like this, always......" Jack Twist

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2006, 03:00:06 pm »
>:(  Shakespeare in Love over Saving Private Ryan was a big upset a few years ago..............

Yeah as I said I know the obvious ones.....but a lot of them happened when I was very young so I don't know much about them... ;D

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2006, 03:02:43 pm »
Titanic winning wasn't really considered an upset - it led in nominations going in and that alone usually guarantees a Best Picture win.

The Greatest Show on Earth over High Noon in 1952

The Color Purple not winning a single award when it was nominated for 9, I believe.  I forget what year.

There are many I could give my personal opinion as being bullshit, like The Shawshank Redemption not winning Best Picture when it's one of the best damned movies I've ever seen (I forget what won instead that year, but I remember being annoyed by it - Forrest Gump, maybe?).  But those above are the main "upsets" for Best Picture that spring to mind.  I'm sure there are others.
No more beans!

Offline chefjudy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "a pair a deuces"
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2006, 03:03:43 pm »
 :) oops, my bad, you did mention that one, sorry........................(hides face in embarrassment)................
Judy

"it could be like this, just like this, always......" Jack Twist

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2006, 03:05:11 pm »
There are many I could give my personal opinion as being bullshit, like The Shawshank Redemption not winning Best Picture when it's one of the best damned movies I've ever seen (I forget what won instead that year, but I remember being annoyed by it - Forrest Gump, maybe?).  But those above are the main "upsets" for Best Picture that spring to mind.  I'm sure there are others.

You rock Barb.......Shawshank is my all time favorite movie!  I totally agree that it was snubbed by Forrest which was a good movie but fails in comparison to Shawshank....

Thanks...

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2006, 03:07:55 pm »
:) oops, my bad, you did mention that one, sorry........................(hides face in embarrassment)................

;).........oh no worries!   ;D

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2006, 03:08:23 pm »
Ooh - I have some acting ones.

Lauren Bacall was considered a shoo-in for Best Supporting Actress for "The Mirror Has Two Faces" but lost to...  It escapes me, now.

I think Marisa Tomei winning for "My Cousin Vinny" and Mira Sorvino winning for "Mighty Aphrodite" were considered upsets, too, but I can't remember who they won over.

And wasn't Adrian Brody kind of considered an upset Best Actor win for "The Pianist" a couple years ago?

I'd just like to say, again, how totally done I am with the Academy now.  I swear on my mother's ashes I will never watch that frigging show again.  Nor care about who wins or loses.  (OK, OK, if Jake and Heath and others I love win down the road, I admit I'll probably smile just a little when I hear about it the next day.  But that's IT.  I swear.)
No more beans!

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2006, 03:13:41 pm »
I think that Million Dollar baby winning was an upset, because the Aviator was expected to win.

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2006, 03:18:40 pm »
I think that Million Dollar baby winning was an upset, because the Aviator was expected to win.

Was it really considered an upset?  Wow.....thats one upset that I actually agree with then...MDB was leaps and bounds over Aviator IMO....

Thanks...