Author Topic: Your Fanfiction Journey: Share Your Story  (Read 12597 times)

Offline Bigheart

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Your Fanfiction Journey: Share Your Story
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2007, 10:47:10 am »

All I need to do now is gather all my courage and self-confidence and post it here....

Like I already told you, Mel, PLEASE DO! And share this wonderful story of yours with all the others out here  :) It truly is a beautiful story  :)

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2007, 11:30:11 am »
I had never heard of fanfiction either. And somehow i stumbles upon Human Interest by Madlorie. I was hooked. It was halfway through when i started and remember reading a whole day non stop. I loved it!

I really loved Leslie's A Love Born From Steel. Such a happy beautiful story, warms my heart everytime i read it. It was the first story i had printed and bound.

And then there was The Laramie Saga. I rest my case  ;D Thank you Leslie for recommending that.

The Laramie Saga really helped me deal with my enormous grief over Ennis's loneliness and utter despair at the end of the movie.

I completely agree. I've shed many tears over this story, but it really has helped me move on. I'll be forever grateful to Louise for writing this story.

I've also enjoyed The Heart of the Matter by Scott immensely. Very poetic and moving story.

As Karen already mentioned, another HUGE plus of this 'addiction' and joining these forums has been that I've met (and I've been lucky enough to really meet a lot of people) and made really special friends for life  :) Friends that I truly treasure  :)

I'd also like to thank all the enormously talented authors out there for sharing and continuing to share all your beautiful stories with us; Brokeback Mountain and fanfiction truly changed my life too, in so many ways  :)

I'll second this wholeheartedly!  :)
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

mvansand76

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2007, 11:49:49 am »
Like I already told you, Mel, PLEASE DO! And share this wonderful story of yours with all the others out here  :) It truly is a beautiful story  :)

Thank you....  :-*

Offline opinionista

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2007, 12:07:09 pm »
Like some posters said above, I had never heard or fanfiction or slash before Brokeback Mountain either. In fact, I didn't even know what slash meant. Then, someone over at IMDB talked about the story written by Tom Forster: Ennis: A Brokeback Sequel which he wrote as a therapy to deal with the emotions from the movie. Then, when we all moved here after the troll wars at IMDb, the talk of the town became Leslie's story, A Love Born From Steel.  Folks here were commenting it over and over again.

I must confess that, at first, I was very reluctant to read it because Jack was alive in the story. It has always been my opinion that Jack's death is an important element of the story's message, and making him alive seemed to destroy the whole experience for me.

But curiosity won and I ended up reading the entire story and loving it. I realize it didn't really mean to change the BBM's original message but just show what would've happen if Ennis had made a diffrerent decision about his relationship with Jack. In other words, it showed what can happen when we bet on happiness regardless of the obstacles ahead.

After Leslie was done with the story, I took no interest in any other until Louise came along. I was a regular at the chat, and for a while all I heard was Ennis and Ellery this, Ennis and Ellery that. So my curiosity was again picked. I began to read the Laramie Saga and was instantly hooked. I think it is a marvelous story that send another important message from BBM: the importance of mourning, and that moving on with your life doesn't mean you stop loving those from your past.

After the Laramie Saga I have read a few other stories, such as Scott's which is also a beautiful tale. I don't have much time now to keep up with fanfiction but I am planning to read, sometime in the near future, some of the most popular around here for example, Tainted Evidence and a few others.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2007, 02:13:10 pm by opinionista »
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2007, 01:11:22 pm »
I think it is a marvelous story that send another important message from BBM: the importance of mourning, and that moving on with your life doesn't mean to stop loving those from your past.

So beautifully put, Natali  :)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2007, 11:25:08 pm »
I knew the phenomemon of fanfiction existed before Brokeback Mountain, though I had never read any, slash or otherwise, because I was never really interested in anything that inspired fanfiction.

The first piece of Brokeback fanfic that I ever read was actually posted in a couple of pieces on the board at IMDb--the poor writer caught some hell from other posters for posting it there. It was a story about Junior and Kurt scattering Ennis and Jack's mingled ashes up on Brokeback, and it was quite moving. I think I still have it lying around somewhere in hard copy.

Somewhere, it may well have been still back at IMDb, I found a link to Ennis. I skimmed through it, but it didn't do much for me. No offense intended, anyone, but right from the start of my Brokeback Fever I've never found the premise of Ennis del Mar finding another boyfriend to be plausible. Just my understanding of his character, and who he is, that's all.

Meanwhile, over my Christmas 2005 visit to my dad, I was already working in my head on what eventually became Some Sweet Life. It took a while, and a lot of encouragment from stevehtx and a few other folks, before I found fanfiction.net and got up the courage to post the story. Writing it had been my therapy, my way of giving myself some peace of mind by imagining a resolution of what was left unresolved at the end of the film and the story (forgive me, Annie Proulx. ...).

A Brokeback Mountain Ghost Story, which I didn't "publish" until this past fall, was the next story I wrote because I wanted to write about Ennis and Jack together having that sweet life, but I hadn't yet been able to bring myself to move into writing AU. Before that happened I posed myself the challenge of writing a sex scene the way Annie wrote about Ennis and Jack having sex, and the result was The Cabin. Then The Grieving Plain just demanded to be written.  :-\ 

Since I read Fernly's The Wind Rivers I've felt no need even to attempt any more canon/fill-in stories, like The Cabin; as far as I'm concerned, The Wind Rivers is definitive.

Oh, and somewhere along the line I've done a little proofreading and offered a few pointers to a couple of other writers.  :D

It sure felt goofy last spring to be writing a Christmas story, but the Muse had to be obeyed, and she was demanding that I overcome my hesitancy with regard to AU stories and write something that both made Ennis and Jack heroes and also showed them having a life together. No Hero was the result.

Then, similarly to when I wrote The Cabin, I posed myself another challenge: What might it be like to take what we know of Alma, Jr.'s, marriage from the film and let it play out in my AU? The result was Sayin' "I do." In that story I alluded to some AU back-story, a fight between Ennis and Jack with four roughnecks, and I was asked to write a story about that fight. The result, slowly, was All I Got and All I Want.

I have to admit that I'm not much reading anyone else's fanfiction now, just some canon pieces now and then, not out of any conceit about my own work, but simply because, since I've created my own AU, where I go to be with Ennis and Jack, I honestly have to say that other writers' AUs just don't interest me.  :-\

I think my fanfiction writing days may be over, but it's never wise to say "never again." I have a few fragments of AU stuff hanging around the hard drive, though whether those fragments will ever come together as a story is not something I'd put money on, if I were a bettin' man.

I've received some very kind comments on my stand-alone stories, and I'm very grateful for them all, happy that I seem to have helped some people with their own process. I think, though, that the nicest compliment I received concerned my AU stories, where one writer told me that Ennis and Jack in my AU stories were "recognizably themselves," even though I had taken them into an AU. That made me very happy. :D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "It's nobody's business but ours."
    • "every sort of organized noise"
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2007, 09:32:40 am »
I actually wrote a fanfic before i read any--how can that be? Anyway, there was no sex in it at all.  It was a murder mystery in which only the reader learns the identity of the murderer. Lots of readers; many comments in the thread here. (sfericsf said it nearly knocked him out of bed.)

As with many, the first i read was "A Love Born From Steel."  Yes, I also thought, "Is this legal?" Although i had seen several unrated and x-rated movies, and read Balzac at 11, I had never read any explicit sex before. That came to a screeching halt with LBFS. After Leslie, I discovered MadLori's "Human Interest."

I love everyhing from Fernly to Belgianboy, cannon to AUAU. My favorite title of all time is "Two crows Joy," and I know the poem by heart.

One crow sorrow, two crows joy
                            Three crows a girl, four crows a boy
                            Five crows silver, six crows gold
                            Seven crows a story never to be told
                            Eight crows a sigh, nine crows a kiss
                            Ten crows a time of joyous bliss. 

My favorite authors, now,  are 271 Horses ("Roots"), B73 ("Mason-Dixon"--and the rest), and marakeshsparrow's" Lead Me To Your Door."

One more thing. (as Columbo says):. My first 5 strories were very well received, and got many comments. and then I wrote one that almost everyone hated, "The Clothes that You Once Wore." (incest). Although I have written 16 stories, from that day,  NOBODY EVER SAID A WORD IN ANY OF MY FICTION THREADS ON BETTERMOST until yesterday, when I put up a very short poem, and "shakestheground" said it was beautiful. But perhaps shakes doesn't know that one doesn't write in Julie Vognar's fiction threads...I don't know. Oh, you still read them, but you don't say anything about them. In fact the offending story has more than 450 hits.  It seems to me unlikely that I simply forgot how to write after "Clothes."  Strange that you all seem to think so...

oh. "Clothes" (the only thing i wrote that I mentioned by name) is NOT a well-wrtten story. (Not for the reasons you don't like it, though.) The first scene goes on and on and ON (and if people have to talk that much about the past and present, maybe it should be two or three stories, huh?). The second scene is so contrived, it maks me cringe. And, if you'[re going to write a stoiry about iincest, the slash, at least, should be good. It ain't.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2007, 11:00:30 am by twistedude »
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2007, 04:45:23 am »
Bumping this, for others who might like to share their story. How did you get started with fanfic, whether reading, writing or both? I find the various stories very intresting. Please share!

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline aileen

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2007, 09:53:41 am »
Hi :) I rarely post here, I' m rather a lurker 8) but I'm completely addicted to fanfics.

I heard about fanfiction before BBM, but didn't exactly know what was it, I heard that some people write an alternative ending to Star Wars, but that was all I knew.

And then, a year ago somebody on our polish BBM forum recomended "Human interest" and I gave it a try. At first I thought WTF??? What's this??? Jack's alive??? I don't get it. :o But then I read it all and it got me good. Reading this story I learnt what fanfiction really might be and I loved it!!!  Since then I read all the stories I could find, except RPS which don't feel right to me, but it's just my private opinion.

Now I have my favourite authors and stories I read several times, like HI, TCJ and Zero at the Bone, Shades of Grey, 48 Days, If I asked, Del Mar Painting (and everything what Maggie writes) and more.... to much to mention all of them. I know for sure that I'm a "happy ending slasher" and that these stories help me heal the pain after seeing the movie. (the best I ever seen though).

After all those months of reading I finally tried to write something myself but I must take up the courage and find a beta patient enough to deal with my english. We'll see 8)

*hugs*

mvansand76

« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2007, 10:22:17 am »
Hi :) I rarely post here, I' m rather a lurker 8) but I'm completely addicted to fanfics.

I heard about fanfiction before BBM, but didn't exactly know what was it, I heard that some people write an alternative ending to Star Wars, but that was all I knew.

And then, a year ago somebody on our polish BBM forum recomended "Human interest" and I gave it a try. At first I thought WTF??? What's this??? Jack's alive??? I don't get it. :o But then I read it all and it got me good. Reading this story I learnt what fanfiction really might be and I loved it!!!  Since then I read all the stories I could find, except RPS which don't feel right to me, but it's just my private opinion.

Now I have my favourite authors and stories I read several times, like HI, TCJ and Zero at the Bone, Shades of Grey, 48 Days, If I asked, Del Mar Painting (and everything what Maggie writes) and more.... to much to mention all of them. I know for sure that I'm a "happy ending slasher" and that these stories help me heal the pain after seeing the movie. (the best I ever seen though).

After all those months of reading I finally tried to write something myself but I must take up the courage and find a beta patient enough to deal with my english. We'll see 8)

*hugs*

Welcome Aileen and good luck with your writing! I know firsthand how scary it is to put your writing out there, so if you need any help, just let me know!

Mel