Author Topic: The Neighbor and The Journey by Cameron  (Read 24983 times)

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: The Neighbor and The Journey by Cameron
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2007, 10:42:26 pm »
Fabienne,

I am so glad you enjoyed 'The Neiighbor'. I really do hope that you do like this one too.  :)

Amanda,

Thank you so much again for all your kind words about my story. I am just so glad that you have been enjoying it.  More even than I can say.  :)

:D

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2007, 12:44:46 am »

Amanda,

Thank you so much again for all your kind words about my story. I am just so glad that you have been enjoying it.  More even than I can say.  :)

:D

Awww, thanks Cameron!  :-*  I'm really excited to have discovered your writing. :)

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2007, 09:43:31 pm »

Congrats to Cameron for finishing The Journey! 8)

http://aileb42.livejournal.com/28386.html

**Spoiler Question**
I want to ask about the function of Rob here in the story, now that we know how things turn out for Ennis and Jack.  Was Rob part of Jack trying to teach/show Ennis that Ennis really is gay?  That's how I interpreted him at the end... but, I just wanted to check in to be sure and to see what others thought.  I mean, was Ennis's affair with Rob part of the plan, or was Rob just supposed to accompany Ennis?  I love the twist about the eye color at the end.

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2007, 02:35:32 pm »

Congrats to Cameron for finishing The Journey! 8)

http://aileb42.livejournal.com/28386.html

**Spoiler Question**
I want to ask about the function of Rob here in the story, now that we know how things turn out for Ennis and Jack.  Was Rob part of Jack trying to teach/show Ennis that Ennis really is gay?  That's how I interpreted him at the end... but, I just wanted to check in to be sure and to see what others thought.  I mean, was Ennis's affair with Rob part of the plan, or was Rob just supposed to accompany Ennis?  I love the twist about the eye color at the end.

SPOILER

Those are good questions, Amanda.  I had some of the same thoughts.  At first I looked at Rob as a sort of guide for Ennis's journey, but I was never really sure exactly what Rob knew, but he did seem to have some kind of "hold" over Ennis, which I guess is explained at the end with the change of eye color.  I'm surmising that when Jack held Rob's hand after he was beaten, he passed on his, I don't know, aura or something?  And that's why Ennis and Mrs. Twist had such a strong reaction to him - they could kind of "feel" Jack's presence in him?   This is just speculating on my part. 

I'm unsure about Rob's affair with Ennis, too.  Ennis had already been having a long-term relationship with Tom, so whether Ennis said the words out loud or not, I think he already knew he was gay, he just wouldn't admit it out loud to anyone.  I'm not sure if the affair with Rob was part of a plan to finally get Ennis to admit it, or if Ennis was so overwhelmed by the feeling of Jack's presence in Rob that he couldn't resist him.   I wasn't sure if Ennis would have the affair with Rob if he really believed there was a chance Jack was still alive - but, again, I guess that's where the eye color thing comes in?  I did like how Rob's eyes changed back to green at the end, too!  I'll admit to being very surprised at the end - in a good way - I never actually believed Jack was still alive!

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2007, 03:21:14 pm »
SPOILER

I'm unsure about Rob's affair with Ennis, too.  Ennis had already been having a long-term relationship with Tom, so whether Ennis said the words out loud or not, I think he already knew he was gay, he just wouldn't admit it out loud to anyone.  I'm not sure if the affair with Rob was part of a plan to finally get Ennis to admit it, or if Ennis was so overwhelmed by the feeling of Jack's presence in Rob that he couldn't resist him.   I wasn't sure if Ennis would have the affair with Rob if he really believed there was a chance Jack was still alive - but, again, I guess that's where the eye color thing comes in?  I did like how Rob's eyes changed back to green at the end, too!  I'll admit to being very surprised at the end - in a good way - I never actually believed Jack was still alive!

Marie

**Spoilers**

Heya,

Yes, I was also pleasantly surprised to find that Jack was still alive.  And, like you, I was thinking that Rob had somehow "morphed" into a Jack-like figure... or your idea that Jack's energy was transferred to Rob during the attack also was along the lines of what I was expecting.  I honestly was expecting some kind of ending where Ennis would end up with Rob and in a way that Ennis could accept and be comfortable with (though of course I'm much happier that it's Jack).

The thing that keeps me wondering... is if Ennis had any notion that Jack was alive (and he does at least have this faith... if not firm belief... following his early encounter with Jack on the mountain when he received Jack's package/notes)... why would he conduct an affair with another man?  I mean he was in a relationship with Tom, but I'm assuming that this was during a phase when he truly believed that Jack was dead.  I mean, the whole point of Ennis's journey was to carry out Jack's instructions and hopefully find his way back to an alive-Jack.  The comfort with which he seems to carry out the affair with Rob is just really striking.  That's why I thought Rob would be "it" at the end (and a new Jack-like figure).  I sort of thought that Jack's package/notes/gift would end up being something metaphorical... like giving Ennis the gift to move on and be comfortable with himself.

If Rob was sort of given Jack's blessing to engage in an affair with Ennis... then that's *really* interesting.  It seems that Ennis's journey was all about Ennis getting over many of his "demons" (Earl, his parents' death, etc.).  And, it seems that Ennis's denial of his sexuality (even a good way through this story) was definitely one of his "demons."  If Jack wanted Ennis to come back to him only if he'd worked some of his issues out... it seems that coming to terms with the fact that he's gay would be a big component of this.  Maybe having had an affair with both Tom, Rob and Jack was enough for Ennis to really face this about himself.

Anyway, I thought this was just a lovely story and written in such a unique way.
:)