Author Topic: Other gay-themed movies  (Read 141651 times)

Offline starboardlight

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • nipith.com
Re: Other gay-themed movies
« Reply #200 on: October 20, 2006, 01:28:56 pm »
Hey Dafna ..

The Latter Days novel was adapted from CJ Cox's screenplay for the movie!  I am dying to get my hands on that one. ;)  Like you, I am building my movie collection considerably these days and I havent been to the theatre in months actually!

One movie that I have not yet found the courage to watch again is Mysterious Skin.  It was very well-done but hard to watch.  I'll have to suck it up and watch it again one of these days. Joseph Gordon-Levitt (aka "Ryder" in Latter Days) gave a phenomenal performance in it!  Quite the talented young actor he is!

Please don't get me started about that song ..  ;)  I get a lump in my throat everytime I watch it!

btw, the score for Mysterious Skin is amazing.
http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?id=62829836&s=143441
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

Offline Impish

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #201 on: October 31, 2006, 12:06:47 pm »
I added (and watched) Big Eden last night.

This is a tender-hearted movie with a feel-good ending.  Good performances all around, and top-notch production values.  I'm delighted to own this film.

I was touched by the community in Big Eden:  oh! if only there really was a small town where straight people are so accepting of gay people!  To be honest, this required a lot of suspension of disbelief on my part.  Still, it's a beautiful fantasy, and I hope that it served as a type of role model for any small-town folk that have seen it.

[NB: spoilers in this paragraph] It's not a flawless movie by any means; the script in particular doesn't show enough of Henry's growing love for Pike.  The final scene doesn't really make sense because of that, when I think about it...

But then again, I don't really want to think about it.   :P  I got my happy ending, and was glad of it.
If you won't pray in my school, I won't think in your church.

Offline ekeby

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #202 on: October 31, 2006, 12:44:24 pm »
Quote from: Dafna link=topic=89.msg102196#msgjavascript:void(0);102196 date=1161296396
Lucise, I also order too many movies from Amazon.  :) But then again I like owning the movies so I can watch them over and over and rarely have I got one I didn't like.

Speaking of buying movies. . . which I've finally started to do (Latter Days was the first, BBM second), I'm always looking for the best prices . . . a couple of you mention buying from Amazon, which I haven't done. Have bought a couple used on eBay, but lately I'm finding I can buy new cheaper at deepdiscountdvd.com, shipping is usually free (excessive or unknown shipping charges are a deal-killer for me). I've been looking for the 2-disc set Maurice; the cheapest I've found is deepdiscount:
http://search.deepdiscountdvd.com/search?p=Q&ts=custom&w=maurice&search.x=0&search.y=0
I wish I could find it cheaper . . . . (I'm poor!)

I've also been subscribing to a newsletter from the DVDtalk. Their site has a search feature that looks for titles and compares prices, but I don't know how thorough it is, maybe it's just of site sponsors. They also link to reviews which I've found helpful, because sometimes it's hard to know (from eBay, for example) if what's being sold is widescreen/fullscreen, has extras, etc. Here's their site:
http://www.dvdtalk.com/

I'd like to hear about other DVD buying resources from you guys . . .
I complain too much. That teacher don't like me. Now it's your turn.

Offline Impish

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #203 on: October 31, 2006, 08:05:56 pm »
I buy mostly at DeepDiscountDVD, then Amazon (only when it is sometimes cheaper, which does happen from time to time).  At Amazon, your order has to be $25 or more to get free shipping, but because I'm a serious collector, I'm always ordering several at a time.

Once in a blue moon, I buy from TLA Releasing.  They almost never have the best prices, and shipping is never free, but they have the biggest selection of gay movies that I'm aware of.  If I can't find a gay-themed movie elsewhere, I can always go there.

Offline Pipedream

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #204 on: November 01, 2006, 03:39:45 pm »
This one has been discussed here before, but it deserves to be mentioned again: Y tu mamá tambien!
I've bought the dvd at the airport London Heathrow before I returned from the Euro Brokie meeting in September and just now watched it for the first time. I think it's fantastic, and the kissing scene between Gael Garcia Bernal and Diego Luna must be one of the sexiest things ever put to film!

:)

« Last Edit: November 01, 2006, 03:44:36 pm by Pipedream »

Offline ekeby

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #205 on: November 02, 2006, 02:57:13 pm »
This one has been discussed here before, but it deserves to be mentioned again: Y tu mamá tambien!
I've bought the dvd at the airport London Heathrow before I returned from the Euro Brokie meeting in September and just now watched it for the first time. I think it's fantastic, and the kissing scene between Gael Garcia Bernal and Diego Luna must be one of the sexiest things ever put to film!

I agree it's very hot . . . for me the hottest, most erotic screen kiss between guys (in the movies I've seen thusfar) is in Steam: The Turkish Bath (Hamam). Ironically, the couple is seen for just a few seconds and it is the only moment in the film showing physical intimacy. Nevertheless, for me, it's incredibly powerful. I've often wondered if it's so effective because it is so short, i.e., less is more....

Anybody got other nominees?
I complain too much. That teacher don't like me. Now it's your turn.

Dafna

« Reply #206 on: November 02, 2006, 05:47:00 pm »
So many movies! But that's a good thing.  :)

dot-matrix, I'm sorry someone was so mean to you at the imdb board. I post there only a tiny bit. I have had a few nasty responses at boards. It's easy for people to hide behind and be mean through an anonymous computer name it seems.

Impish, I agree with what you said about the relationship between Henry and Pike. I certainly would have liked to see that explored a little bit more in the movie. But like you I am just so grateful for such a feel good happy ending that at this point I don't care. Need more happy endings like this. I have recommended this movie to friends.

I have to admit that I am hopelessly devoted to Amazon. I only get U.S. mail at my PO Box and they always will ship to me there. I get most of my books and music from them also.

Offline Impish

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #207 on: November 21, 2006, 11:55:21 am »
I saw "Shortbus" last night, as I reported in the Anything Goes forum.

This is John Cameron Mitchell's second movie; his first was "Hedwig and the Angry Inch."  He's done it again: come up with a brilliant movie that is completely different than anything you have seen before.

As you may have heard, this movie contains explicit, non-simulated sex; in fact, the opening sequence includes a guy giving himself a blow job and this is just one of several sex scenes in the opening.  Some may want to walk out after the first 10 minutes, but don't do it.  Hang in there through to the end.

How did Mitchell make a movie about the role of sex in people's lives that is also heart-warming?  I was crying at the end, from joy.

IMHO, the best movie of 2006.  DO NOT MISS THIS MOVIE

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #208 on: November 21, 2006, 12:04:52 pm »
Cool, I will see about getting it today.

I watched Food of Love over the weekend. I would recomend that also, but it is a strange movie. In the begining I feel sorry for all the characters and at the end they are all getting on my nerves.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #209 on: November 21, 2006, 03:52:47 pm »
One of my favorite movies is by Sally Potter and it is called Orlando. It is from a novel by Virginia Woolf about a boy growing up in Elizabethan England who actually lives until modern times, changing into a woman about halfway through the story. Not exactly a gay-themed movie but more of a transgender one. It stars Tilda Swinton and Billy Zane is in it too. Also Quentin Crisp plays Elizabeth I.
"chewing gum and duct tape"