Author Topic: Other gay-themed movies  (Read 141624 times)

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
Re: Other gay-themed movies
« Reply #230 on: January 26, 2007, 04:16:55 am »
Trick abd Billy's Hollwood Screen Kisses are two really fun movies, that most of my friends refuse to admit they like. They not great intellectual movies to be sure, and they don't have social/political commentary. They are what When Harry Met Sally is meant to be. Just fun, light movies. I enjoyed them a lot, but I hesitate to recommend them, because it's easy for people to put them down for being light and not serious.

I agree with Shuggy. I love Tori Spelling in Trick. Her one monologues in the diner really showed her comedic chops.

Hey - just wanted to pipe in that I saw Trick a coupla days ago!  I'm sl-ow-ly working my way down my list of G/L titles.  Thanks for the recommendation - it was completely cute and worth the time.  I agree with you about Tori Spelling, and it was neat to see Miss Coco Peru of Impish cruise fame.   ;)

-Lynne
 8)
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Br. Patrick

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "So what're we gonna do now?"
« Reply #231 on: January 26, 2007, 09:44:56 am »
Here's another award winning film that I digitally recorded on my cable's "Free Movies On Demand"  I've sent a copy to Lynne, gave one to my therapist and watched it three times in the last few days.  I cry harder each time.  This is a film that was made to be seen again and again.  You practically have to because the film takes place in 3 time periods.  It's also neat that I saw it on my first BBM Film Birthday! 1-23-2007

« Last Edit: January 26, 2007, 09:51:17 am by Br. Patrick »
Lean on me, let our hearts beat in time,
Feel strength from the hands that have held you so long.
Who cares where we go on this rugged old road
In a world that may say that we're wrong.

...Cause I know - A love that will never grow old.

Gustavo Santaolalla & Bernie Taupin

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #232 on: December 14, 2007, 11:51:43 pm »
I just discovered this thread and thought I'd revive it.

I finally found a copy of a French gay film from 1983 that really had an impact on me when I first saw it.  It's called L'Homme Blessé - The Wounded Man.  The director is Patrice Chéreau who went on to do Queen Margot & Intimacy, his only english language film and the strangely affecting Son Frère another gay-themed film from 2005.

The two leads, a young and sexy Jean-Hugues Anglade (Betty Blue) and Vittorio Mezzogiorno give excellent performances in a rather bleak & sordid story.  This is definitely not a politically correct gay rom-com.

Anyway, I had forgotten that it features one of the most erotic same-sex kiss I've seen on film.  It's in the same league as BbM for intensity, although in a rather violent situation.  And two years before My Beautiful Laundrette.   I just love the French!

Has anyone here seen or heard of it?  I'd love to hear what you think!

Here's a comment from an IMDb user that I can certainly relate to:
Though for most of us, sexiness is a variable quality, I cannot recall a movie that did for me what this one does. It transported me into an awfully familiar realm of longing and desire. All the compulsive attraction, uncertainty over the outcome, the palpable fear and excitement so attendant to that state of arousal were brought to fever pitch by this flick. So French and what I consider daring! No matter what your orientation, I think that the danger of chasing your desire is brought full-front and center here...much more so, say, than with Kubrick's "Eyes Wide Shut".

For other comments: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0084085/usercomments

Offline Katness

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Proud wolf in human clothing.
« Reply #233 on: January 08, 2008, 08:33:21 am »
Out of those ones, I've seen:

The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert
Angels in America
Before Night Falls
My Beautiful Laundrette
Mysterious Skin
The Sum of Us (with a very young Russel Crowe)
The Trip

The others I may have to see.
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing.

If all is not lost, then where is it?

I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #234 on: January 08, 2008, 11:19:53 am »
I have recently seen two movies that I highly recommend!
The first is Beautiful Thing. It's a british movie about two highschool boys who fall in love.
It's funny and sad. It has a great cast of characters. I don't know any of them from other movies as they are all british. But it is a beautiful movie.
The next is Latter Days! It is gut wrenching. It has some very powerful moments and some undeniable truths!
If you haven't seen these I suggest going to find them and watch them!
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline oilgun

« Reply #235 on: January 08, 2008, 01:04:53 pm »
Excellent recommendations loneleeb3,  I really enjoyed both Beautiful Thing and Latter Days.

Here's one to avoid:

Food of Love by Ventura Pons.  It's an adaptation of David Leavitt's novella The Page Turner about a music student who falls in love with a concert pianist.  It's one of the worst movies I've seen in quite a while. (Has Ventura Pons ever made a watchable film?) The actor who plays the page turner is so horrible that's it's actually embarrassing to watch.  I think having a good actor in that role could have saved the film.  Maybe.  Juliet Stevenson, who can be good, is just annoying here as the over-bearing high-strung mother.  The film although much of it is set in beautiful Barcelona feels like a bad TV movie.  Also, for a movie about love, it doesn't have a hint of sensuality or eroticism.  Thumbs down / 1 star out of 5 / hated it

PS:  I also post on Dave Cullen so my apologies if you've been seeing my similar posts there.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 05:44:39 pm by oilgun »

Offline Br. Patrick

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "So what're we gonna do now?"
« Reply #236 on: January 08, 2008, 01:55:17 pm »
The next is Latter Days! It is gut wrenching. It has some very powerful moments and some undeniable truths!
If you haven't seen these I suggest going to find them and watch them!

Latter Days is an absolutely fantastic film that every Brokie should watch because it is so positive and it has a really happy ending.  It's Sexy and also contains real Spiritual truths conveyed in an incredibly beautiful way!  It has great music and if you like the film, (and I can't imagine a Brokie who wouldn't) you'll probably also want the Soundtrack.  It is just Great. *****  5 Stars for me~!

{{{Cyberhugs}}}   :) :P ::)

br. p
Lean on me, let our hearts beat in time,
Feel strength from the hands that have held you so long.
Who cares where we go on this rugged old road
In a world that may say that we're wrong.

...Cause I know - A love that will never grow old.

Gustavo Santaolalla & Bernie Taupin

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #237 on: January 08, 2008, 11:59:41 pm »
Oilgun, can we see clips, trailers, etc., on YouTube or elsewhere about these two gay films, oui, oui??

As you say: I finally found a copy of a French gay film from 1983 that really had an impact on me when I first saw it.  It's called L'Homme Blessé - The Wounded Man.  The director is Patrice Chéreau who went on to do Queen Margot & Intimacy, his only english language film and the strangely affecting Son Frère another gay-themed film from 2005.

Hugs! And how do you add pics on Bettermost?

Offline oilgun

« Reply #238 on: January 10, 2008, 11:20:59 am »
Oilgun, can we see clips, trailers, etc., on YouTube or elsewhere about these two gay films, oui, oui??

I haven't come across anything but let me know if you do.

And how do you add pics on Bettermost?

What I do is upload images to Photobucket.com (it's free to register).  Then I just copy & paste the link provided which looks like this, but without the spaces inside the square brackets:

[ IMG ]http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w197/oilgun/scorpio_rising-2.jpg[ /IMG ]

Correctly, without the spaces, the above link gives me this:

moremojo

« Reply #239 on: January 10, 2008, 11:36:49 am »
Has anyone here seen or heard of it?
I have heard of this film by Chereau (who is himself a gay man) but have never seen it. Critic David Ehrenstein (also gay) thinks very highly of it, and recently contrasted if favorably with the (to his mind and mine) homophobic 1980 feature Cruising, which apparently treads similar thematic ground. Here are two pertinent comments from Ehrenstein relating to Chereau's film which appeared on the online discussion group 'A Film By':

http://movies.groups.yahoo.com/group/a_film_by/message/47365

http://movies.groups.yahoo.com/group/a_film_by/message/47397