Author Topic: Sacrilege  (Read 14445 times)

injest

Sacrilege
« on: April 04, 2007, 08:45:37 pm »
I have had a bad week....so I am gonna put this out here and let YA'LL see how bad it has been!

Have you ever thought that maybe we are looking at the story the wrong way?? Maybe it IS about standing it??

That some dreams just aren't going to come true so we have to learn to deal with life without them...we have to face reality.

There comes a time that you just have to realize that you just don't have the ability to fulfill your dreams. So to continue beating your head against a stone wall is ridiculous and useless and robs you of living your life to the fullest....

injest

Re: Sacrilege
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2007, 09:10:12 pm »
If the boys had looked at reality when they came down from the mountain....and really accepted that they weren't going to be able to be together....what would their life had been like?

If Jack had not went looking for Ennis but instead had focused on living what life he could...either with Lureen or 'the foreman's wife'.....

If Ennis had stuck with one of those jobs instead of quitting to go meet Jack twice a year...would he have been better off financially? Had more responsibility?

injest

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2007, 09:12:32 pm »
and the reason I am asking, well, I see people everyday that are living lifes that are not happy, not fulfilling....but how many people DO get to live their dreams?

Is it better to dream and lose big or is it better to not dream and so not lose?

especially if your dream has NO chance of coming true??

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2007, 09:48:42 pm »
Jess, at some level I have always suspected that Jack's dream of the little cow and calf operation with Ennis was impossible, most likely for economic reasons.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2007, 09:55:15 pm »
I have always felt that when Ennis got divorced he was in a way relieved and went off into a secret world in his mind where he could be as available to Jack as he could manage. It meant a lonely existence for him and no guarantees, but that is not answering your questions I know.

Yes, I think in many ways it is about standing it. They had hard lives and the story hinges on this one dynamic, their attraction to one another and how that made their lives harder.

We all walk around with our secrets. Sometimes, they are our only company.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

injest

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2007, 10:09:05 pm »
I have an aunt that wanted to be a fashion designer....drew wonderful designs when she was younger...

has buried three husbands, and been on welfare her entire life. Now she is dying from cancer...

so I think....would her life had been happier if she had NOT dreamed of being something more? something above her station in life??

Offline dot-matrix

• www.maleimagegallery.com ~Come Join Us~
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2007, 10:10:42 pm »
I think it is our dreams that give us hope.  That is what I see as Jack's essence in this story, Hope.  His life and his survival are based on it when we meet him, he gives it to Ennis who was desperate for it.  The striving for a dream, just like always having the fishing trips together to look forward too combined with their deep and abiding love for one another is what made the hard lives these beautiful lonely souls lived bearable.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2007, 10:17:21 pm by dot-matrix »
Life is not a dress rehearsal

Offline dot-matrix

• www.maleimagegallery.com ~Come Join Us~
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2007, 10:16:35 pm »
I have an aunt that wanted to be a fashion designer....drew wonderful designs when she was younger...

has buried three husbands, and been on welfare her entire life. Now she is dying from cancer...

so I think....would her life had been happier if she had NOT dreamed of being something more? something above her station in life??

Is it even possible to "dream" above your station in life?  I don't think so.  Being a Fashion Designer is something that was very within your Aunt's reach as a young woman if it was something she really wanted.  Seems to me that we make choices everyday that affect those kinds of dreams... example:  Somewhere along the line, she made choices and decisions that changed that potential, but she made them and they were her's to make since it was her future and her dream that it altered.  I'm not sure I'm explaining this right but I hope you see what mean :-\
Life is not a dress rehearsal

injest

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2007, 10:18:19 pm »
I think it is our dreams that give us hope.  That what I see as Jack's essence in this story, Hope.  His life and his survival are based on it when we meet him, he gives it to Ennis who was desperate for.  The striving for a dream, just like always having the fishing trips together to look forward too combined with their deep and abiding love for one another is what made the hard lives these beautiful lonely souls lived bearable.

or did it make it worse? cause as much as the anticipation as there was....there was that much anguish when they had to part. If Jack had accepted that he couldn't have this dream maybe he could have lowered his expectations and been happier...

injest

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2007, 10:23:18 pm »
Is it even possible to "dream" above your station in life?  I don't think so.  Being a Fashion Designer is something that was very within your Aunt's reach as a young woman if it was something she really wanted.  Seems to me that we make choices everyday that affect those kinds of dreams... example:  Somewhere along the line, she made choices and decisions that changed that potential, but she made them and they were her's to make since it was her future and her dream that it altered.  I'm not sure I'm explaining this right but I hope you see what mean :-\

see this is where I think people who have never been TRULY poor understand reality. We hear these incredible stories about people that overcome poverty and go on to be doctors or lawyers or millionaires....but we hear them BECAUSE they are unusual and rare...if a LOT of people were overcoming poverty everyday...it wouldn't be news!!