Author Topic: Sacrilege  (Read 14530 times)

Offline serious crayons

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Sacrilege
« Reply #40 on: April 07, 2007, 12:31:17 am »
Anyway, it's funny how much we ponder so many "What ifs" for Ennis and Jack.  If it had been any other way it wouldn't have been BBM.

So true! We can't help imagining a happier outcome. So we talk about, what if Jack had offered Ennis a ride in Signal, what if Ennis had invited Jack to hang out at his house in the post divorce scene ... If those things had come to pass, it would have been great for Jack and Ennis. But then Annie Proulx would have had to pick some other couple to write about ...  :-\

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #41 on: April 07, 2007, 03:36:59 am »

Wow, I didn't know most of that about you, David.  Thanks for telling it.   :-*

Well, around here Clarissa, a gay cello, piano, and violin playing accountant who just happens to have a funeral director's license and a boyfriend who lives across the Atlantic isn't exactly the idea of a success story. Not in Hoosier terms anyway. But I'm glad you enjoyed it, and yeah, I AM happy!  :D
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #42 on: April 07, 2007, 05:06:38 am »
Well, around here Clarissa, a gay cello, piano, and violin playing accountant who just happens to have a funeral director's license and a boyfriend who lives across the Atlantic isn't exactly the idea of a success story. Not in Hoosier terms anyway.

Sounds pretty good to me, David! Except maybe the across-the-Atlantic part. That must be a pain.

Offline HerrKaiser

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #43 on: April 11, 2007, 03:04:58 pm »
I have had a bad week....so I am gonna put this out here and let YA'LL see how bad it has been!

Have you ever thought that maybe we are looking at the story the wrong way?? Maybe it IS about standing it??

That some dreams just aren't going to come true so we have to learn to deal with life without them...we have to face reality.

There comes a time that you just have to realize that you just don't have the ability to fulfill your dreams. So to continue beating your head against a stone wall is ridiculous and useless and robs you of living your life to the fullest....

Thanks Injest for this topic. Anyone who has read most of my posts over the months here or on other boards knows (and I've gotten tons of flak!) I see the story/film in just this way for many reasons. No sacrilege at all. Life is not perfect; love that is not perfect is still love; and situations often do not allow for our first choices to be the ones we go with. I actually like that about life; we are quickly becoming a nation of spoiled children and the idea from the 80s that "you can have it all" is not good for the soul. Ennis, in particular, is a better man for his inner need to fulfill his responsibilities while balancing his other needs. His spirit was made strong from this and few people have the understanding of life that he has having done so, imo.

Scott6373

« Reply #44 on: April 11, 2007, 04:14:22 pm »

Well, around here Clarissa, a gay cello, piano, and violin playing accountant who just happens to have a funeral director's license and a boyfriend who lives across the Atlantic isn't exactly the idea of a success story. Not in Hoosier terms anyway. But I'm glad you enjoyed it, and yeah, I AM happy!  :D

How did I never know this?  I am married to one.

Scott6373

« Reply #45 on: April 11, 2007, 04:26:45 pm »
I have had a bad week....so I am gonna put this out here and let YA'LL see how bad it has been!

Have you ever thought that maybe we are looking at the story the wrong way?? Maybe it IS about standing it??

That some dreams just aren't going to come true so we have to learn to deal with life without them...we have to face reality.

There comes a time that you just have to realize that you just don't have the ability to fulfill your dreams. So to continue beating your head against a stone wall is ridiculous and useless and robs you of living your life to the fullest....

...and here I thought I was the only one who felt this way about the film.  I would have to add, however, that, even though we someday have to realize that the dreams we hung our hats on may never come true, somewhere a new dream has formed in our hearts.  That's what gives me hope for not only myself, but for the rest of the world.

Sure, the films slap in the face was that Ennis lost Jack, "his dream" (though he would never admit this), but a new one started for him;  He now had the ability to feel and know true love, unconditional love.  This knowledge, and the worlds it opens for him, are his new dream.  Sometimes we have a hard time seeing these new dreams for what they are.