Author Topic: "ABCs of BBM" Game Comments  (Read 57555 times)

Offline ThePirateBride

• Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: "ABCs of BBM" Game Comments
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2006, 05:27:19 pm »
Toast, your post is a treat to read!   :D

I'm also an IMDB refugee, thanks to Will.  I continue to play because of my obsession with the film and the feelings it invoked in me.  I’m glad there are others just as passionate about this novella/script/screenplay/film as I am.   :)
Now bring me that horizon.♥We have our heading.

Offline memento

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • There But For Fortune
« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2006, 08:41:20 pm »
My compliments to Toast for his ABC version of Send in the Clowns. It was very creative and
something we all could identify with.

An interesting bit of trivia about Stephen Sondheim: "His lyrics are often intricately crafted, like a puzzle where every piece has a precise placement An avid fan of games, in 1968 and 1969 Sondheim published an astonishingly inventive series of word puzzles in New York magazine. These crossword puzzles were models of form and creativity, and started the rise of cryptic crosswords in the United States."

My fascination with the ABC's is the thrill of the hunt. Finding just the right word can be exciting, creative, mind-expanding, and it brings instant gratification. Not many things
do that in life.

Maybe Sondheim will consider publishing a musical version of the ABC's in New York Magazine.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2006, 09:02:02 pm by Memento »

Offline amh

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • C'mere, baby.
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2006, 09:39:30 pm »
Toast, that's the best rendition of "Send in the Clowns" ever!  It even surpasses my previous favorite, when Judy Collins sang it to the Muppets!

My ABCs fascination goes back to my first post in Round 6 on IMDb, which I think was sometime in February.  And I think what drew me in was the fact that by then I had been thoroughly obsessed with the movie for 2 months, reading everything I could about it and spending nearly all my free time (and much of my work time back then) on the message board.  And along with it came that perplexing, lingering sadness and depression that stuck with lots of us in the beginning. 

The ABCs stuck out very clearly as a way I could actively celebrate the movie in a fun and light-hearted manner -- and a challenging one as well.  Plus it served as another opportunity to find ways to relate anything and everything to BBM!

And here we are, more than 100 rounds later.   :D

P.S. And I have to admit, despite the frustrations, one of my fondest memories will be the weekend we spent frantically saving all the rounds when the original thread got locked down!  The crisis itself wasn't fun, but the act of us pulling together to save the game was. 

=updated=
And I almost forgot my other favorite, Fran's ABZ thread.   ;D
« Last Edit: June 06, 2006, 10:19:50 pm by AnnMarie »
:-* This ain't no rodeo, cowboy.

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2006, 10:05:41 pm »
P.S. And I have to admit, despite the frustrations, one of my fondest memories will be the weekend we spent frantically saving all the rounds when the original thread got locked down!  The crisis itself wasn't fun, but the act of us pulling together to save the game was. 

Ann Marie,

That was the weekend you became my new hero.  I know Lee (now Zee) saved a bunch of rounds, too, but you did the bulk of the work, just so we'd be able to continue our game.  I was grateful and quite impressed. 

Fran

=reply=

Tell you what, it was a team effort, sure enough.  One for all and all for "ABCs"!!

AM
« Last Edit: June 07, 2006, 10:53:55 pm by Fran-E »

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • well, I won't
« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2006, 04:22:14 pm »
Bravo to Toast for his "Send in the Clowns" send-up.

I'm thinking of the meaning of the phrase:  I believe it has to do with providing comic relief in the face of tragedy.  So, when someone falls from the trapeze or the tight rope, or has a serious injury in a rodeo, the clowns come in as a distraction.

I guess in some way our ABC of BBM game is similar. Many of us feel deeply about the film in all its tragic splendor, and it's good to "lighten up" a bit. I'll never forget how much I laughed at the "Cowboy Etiquette" thread (I printed out the whole damned thing for posterity), and the "Lines U won't hear" still cracks me up. 

The ABCs are a great way to stay connected to the film and its devotees, and not have to cry all the time!

BTW, Toast, "Mods never approve"?  Shit, that's hard!
I, for one, truly appreciate our mods' efforts: keeping the game neat and tidy and well-oiled ain't easy.  We need them: to discover that I've again posted a word I posted a hundred rounds ago because I'm too stupid and my dumbass control F thingie don't work right. They're babysitting the sheep, while we get to stem the rose to our hearts' content. ((Aside to Gyrlz: I am not referring to you as dogz.))
Frandy, Sandy and Ann-dy are the best!

Omigawd, I'm starting to sound like Will.

Thanks, Fran, great thread.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2006, 04:26:00 pm by southendmd »

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2006, 03:47:05 pm »
Ok, before I tell U this dream, remember it was near full moon last nite! So I dreamed that some troll came along and planted a bug so that anytime anybody posted on the BetterMost board they would dematerialize, along with everything around them, leaving a big hole in the ground. So the ABC players came up with a solution. We instantly came together in one room which was like NORAD in the middle of a mountain, with a ring of computers around us. We figured out that we could post to the board harmlessly by pairing up and hugging each other very tightly until we became very dense and then posting a new word. The bug would begin to dematerialize us but as long as we were hugging it would just take bites out of our shoulders and sides, and then give up and we would spring back to wholeness again. So we just kept posting new words as fast as we could so that no one else could post anything and be harmed. We were on our 5,000th round.

=comment=

Tell me I'm crazy, but the idea of a 5,000th round
makes me very happy!  See you there, Lee.
Fran

« Last Edit: June 12, 2006, 09:10:08 am by Fran-E »
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2006, 01:24:01 am »
After 125 rounds, our "ABCs" game is still going strong!  Take a look at the entire Answer List to see all we've accomplished together.  That's a lot of posting, a real team effort. 
Thanks, everyone.

Gamely,
Will, Fran, Sandy, and Ann Marie
« Last Edit: August 23, 2006, 09:45:45 pm by Fran »

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2006, 11:49:01 am »
TOday I toted into work a new dictionary for a fresh supply of words. THis one has on the front "National Dictionary self-pronouncing Based on the Principles Established by Noah Webster and including a Practical Guide to Business English, 1935 edition. THere is hope for me, tho--I haven't brought in my OED yet!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline henrypie

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2006, 12:36:42 pm »
I have not played in a long time but prowling around I found this list and it is a thing of beauty.  My goodness.

Offline JulietteMontague

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2006, 07:55:39 pm »
I found Will's ABCs game in IMDB and was enjoying the fact that many others were as obsessed as I was with this wonderful film.  I was one of several ardent players until IMDB closed us down due to “space limitations.”  Will relocated to BetterMost and PMed me saying this was the place to be and I skedaddled on over.  It was quite odd to be playing while Will was on his hiatus, and I took a little time off as well.  However, now that he’s back, we shall continue in our glory and I’m so pleased that Will is returning to be our leader once again!  Bravo!   ;)
« Last Edit: July 12, 2006, 10:48:26 am by JulietteMontague »
I just want to celebrate another day of living.