Author Topic: Spooky Halloween Recipes  (Read 22605 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Spooky Halloween Recipes
« on: October 05, 2007, 03:27:44 pm »
It's almost HALLOWEEN!!!!

Do you have any spooky Halloween recipes you'd like to share with the rest of us? Maybe a recipe for Halloween cookies, brownies or candy?

I found a few, and I'll start posting them later on today! Please post yours too if you know of any, okay?

Oh, and.....

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!!!!

BOOO!!!!!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

From Meryl:  Go here to see Marge Innavera's index of these great recipes:
http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,13644.msg589866.html#msg589866
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 12:45:44 pm by Meryl »
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
Re: Spooky Halloween Recipes
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2007, 05:19:00 pm »
   My First Spooky Recipe....   

Sticky Witches Apples

You will need:

2 packages of caramel squares (Sticky Snacks)
4 or 5 medium size apples (Monster Brains)
Wooden sticks (Ghost Pencils)
Waxed paper (Magic anti-stick paper)
Black Licorice pre cut into small strands (Black cat whiskers)
Red Licorice pre cut into small strands (Snail Antennas)
Ice Cream Cones (Witches' hats)
Candy for decorations (Witches' faces)

First melt the caramel in a pan until they are a thick liquid.  Then wash the apples and stick a ghost pencil (wooden stick) into one end. Dip each apple into the melted caramel making sure the apple is thoroughly coated and lay it on a piece of waxed paper. Sprinkle the decorative candy over the apple (this is the fun part, and children love to participate in the decorating). Try to create witch and monster faces with the candy sprinkles. Now, stick the black licorice on an apple so it looks like cat whiskers. Use the red licorice up at the top of the apple to resemble "snail antennas". Place an empty ice cream cone on the top for a witches' hat and enjoy!!!  :D

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2007, 03:55:03 am »
And now for my second spooky recipe....

Creepy Creamy Candy! 

You will need:

1/2 cup of butter
1 and 1/2 cups of peanut butter
1 lb of icing sugar
1 tablespoon of vanilla extract
12 ounces of white chocolate
Waxed paper
Toothpicks
Mixing bowl

Mix the butter and the peanut butter together in a large mixing bowl. Add the icing sugar and the vanilla and blend together completely. Next, take a spoonful of the mixture and roll it into a small ball (so it looks like a little eyeball) and place it on the waxed paper. Once you have made all the eyeballs, place them into the refrigerator for about 30 minutes.

Melt the white chocolate on the stove in a pan, or in a microwave oven. Next, remove the eyeballs from the refrigerator and stick a toothpick through each one. Carefully dip each candy eyeball into the melted chocolate. Make sure each eyeball is completely covered with chocolate except for a small circle at the top. Allow the balls to cool on a piece of waxed paper.

This recipe will yield about 40 scary eyeballs.  :)

Offline dot-matrix

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • www.maleimagegallery.com ~Come Join Us~
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2007, 04:03:45 am »
These aren't exactly spooky but I've made them every Halloween for the last 4 or 5 years!  I got the recipe off the internet but don't remember exactly where but it was probably the Food Network website I get a lot of recipes there.

Cajun Spiced Roasted Pumpkin Seeds

Double or triple this roasted pumpkin seed recipe, depending on how many cups of seeds you have. One large pumpkin will generally yield 1 cup or pumpkin seeds, and smaller pie pumpkins will yield about the same amount. Toss a salad with these seeds, sprinkle over a chicken dish, or serve as a snack.

INGREDIENTS:
1 cup pumpkin seeds
1 scant teaspoon Cajun seasoning, or to taste ( I like either Tony Chachere's or Emeril's Original Essence of Emeril)
paprika, for more color, if desired
a little salt, depending on saltiness of the seasoning
2 dashes Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon melted butter or vegetable oil

PREPARATION:
Rinse seeds well and get as much of the pumpkin pulp off of them as possible. Some of the small pieces are going to adhere, but they won't hurt the seeds at all, and might even add a little more flavor.

Pat dry with paper towels. Don't let them dry completely on the paper towels, because they might stick!
Toss pumpkin seeds with seasonings. Combine butter and Worcestershire sauce; stir into seeds until well blended and coated.

Heat oven to 300°. Roast, turning from time to time, for about 45 to 60 minutes, or until nicely browned and crunchy.

Life is not a dress rehearsal

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2007, 04:13:33 am »
I love roasted pumpkin seeds! And they make a very good snack. I love to munch on them while they are still warm from the oven! Thanks for the recipe Dottie!!  :D

Offline dot-matrix

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2007, 04:16:40 am »
I start making this around Halloween time too.... again got it off the Internet, probably Food TV website.  My Grandma use to make Pumpkin Bread Pudding but I never got the recipe.

Pumpkin Bread Pudding

8 ounces French bread, torn into small pieces, about 5 cups
2 cups half-and-half, or half milk and half cream
3 large eggs
2/3 cup granulated sugar
2/3 cup brown sugar
1 can (15 ounces) pumpkin puree
1 cup dried cranberries ( raisins can be substituted)
1 cup chopped pecans, optional
3 tablespoons melted butter
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon vanilla
cinnamon sugar, optional

Butter an 11x7-inch baking dish. Heat oven to 350°.
In a bowl, cover the torn bread with the half-and-half; set aside.

In another bowl, combine eggs, sugars, pumpkin, cranberries, melted butter, spices, and vanilla; blend well.

Pour pumpkin mixture over soaked bread and stir to blend.
Pour mixture into the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle top with cinnamon-sugar,
if desired. Bake for 45 to 60 minutes, or until set.

Serve with a vanilla dessert sauce or brown sugar sauce, whipped cream, or vanilla ice cream. Bob and I like it with Deyers Coffee Ice Cream.
Serves 8.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2007, 03:49:07 am »
Creepy Crunchy Cookies

You will need:

1 pound of white chocolate
1 package of peanut butter cookies (the kind with the peanut butter in between)
1 package of mini chocolate chips
Waxed paper

Melt the white chocolate in a pan or double boiler. After the chocolate has been melted, dip each cookie into the white chocolate making sure it is completely coated.

Set the coated cookies on some waxed paper until they have dried and cooled. If there are any spots on the cookies that haven't been thoroughly coated, spread some additional melted chocolate to cover up the holes. Finally, add "eyes" to the cookies using the chocolate chips. You can also decorate the cookies with some black and orange candy sprinkles.

Offline dot-matrix

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2007, 02:59:59 am »

Pumpkin Soup

Around Halloween, you may not know what to do with all the extra pumpkin. Maybe you've already made pumpkin pie, prepared a pumpkin smoothie, baked pumpkin bread, and still have pumpkin leftover, or would prefer to try something different. Why not try pumpkin soup? It can be a hearty side dish to your next Halloween party.

Ingredients
3 1⁄3 Lb pumpkin, peeled and cubed
1 onion, sliced
1 3/4 oz butter
2 garlic cloves, peeled
2 1⁄8 pt chicken stock
2 1⁄8 pt water
2 Tbsp crème fraiche
1 pinch of nutmeg
1 pinch of cinnamon
1 tsp white sugar
1 Tbsp olive oil
2 slices of whole-wheat bread, cut into small cubes
2 Tbsp maple syrup
salt and pepper

Put the saucepan/pot over a stove burner set to medium or high heat. Put the butter in the pot when hot and let it turn brown. Add the onion slices to cook for about five minutes. Stir in the garlic afterwards.

Stir in the pumpkin and chicken stock after the onions have shown a slight brown. Bring the pot to a boil, then simmer it for 20 to 30 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 180º C or 350º F.

Spread out croûtons on a tray. Lightly sprinkle cinnamon, nutmeg, and sugar onto the croûtons. Then lightly drizzle the olive oil onto the croûtons.

Put the tray inside the oven. Bake for seven minutes. Take the tray back out when the croûtons have a brown and crispy look.

Season the soup with salt and pepper and add the maple syrup after the 20 minute mark. Stir and take off the heat.

Use a ladle and scoop the soup into a blender. Drain water back in the pan as you scoop. Before blending, release the steam/heat from the soup. Pulse the soup about two or three times before blending for 30 seconds. Add one tablespoon of crème fraiche and blend again. Pour the blended soup into another saucepan. Repeat the blending process with the rest of the soup.

Serve the soup by pouring it into bowls and sprinkling some croûtons on top of it. Add a little garnish, such as mint.

Offline dot-matrix

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2007, 03:26:27 am »
I got this one from Better Homes and Gardens and plan to try it this year for Bagels

Pumpkin Cream Cheese Spread

Prep: 10 min.

Ingredients

1  8-ounce package cream cheese, softened
1/2  cup canned pumpkin
1/4  cup sugar
3/4  teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1/2  teaspoon vanilla

Directions

Beat all ingredients in a medium mixing bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or up to 24 hours. Makes 1-1/2 cups (24, 1-tablespoon servings).

Offline Sharon

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2007, 04:26:29 pm »
Pumpkin Martini

Ingredients:
1) 3 Parts Bols Pumpkin Smash Liqueur
2) 1 Part Captain Morgan Spiced Rum
3) Dash Half and Half Cream

Preparation:
1) Combine all ingredients.