Author Topic: The ORIGINAL 1000+ Posts Club  (Read 4635582 times)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: The ORIGINAL 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #9110 on: December 23, 2008, 07:06:58 am »
Morning all,

It's very, very cold this morning. 4 below zero. Brrr.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #9111 on: December 23, 2008, 09:13:43 am »
FOUR below zero?? Wow, that is cold.

Sending you some warmth Leslie.  :)

'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #9112 on: December 23, 2008, 09:20:11 am »
I had to pour boiling water on the gate lock to unfreeze it this morning, so I could get to my car!  It worked.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #9113 on: December 23, 2008, 09:45:24 am »
I had to pour boiling water on the gate lock to unfreeze it this morning, so I could get to my car!  It worked.

I used to do that to defrost the refrigerator in my old apartment.  ;D

It's 21 F here this morning, and clear. The sunrise was beautiful! I looked out about 7 a.m., and the sky was lovely shades of orange and red in the east, and the crescent moon was still visible overhead.

Tomorrow it's supposed to rain, and the temperature is supposed to go up to 50 F.  :-\ 

And I seem to be coming down with a cold. Again.  >:(
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #9114 on: December 23, 2008, 10:53:04 am »
Minus 30 and you guys and gals are complaning??

Must warm up my balls...
don't want them to break!

Bonne journée à toutes et tous,
au revoir,
hugs!

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #9115 on: December 23, 2008, 11:51:44 am »
How was Slumdog Millionaire? Its not out here yet (plemty of posters advertising it) although its a British film, written by a well known brit, Danny Boyle (who did rainspotting, 28 days Later, the Beach) and the main male actor is pretty well known for being in a teen drama over here called "skins".

http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #9116 on: December 23, 2008, 01:39:04 pm »
How was Slumdog Millionaire? Its not out here yet (plemty of posters advertising it) although its a British film, written by a well known brit, Danny Boyle (who did rainspotting, 28 days Later, the Beach) and the main male actor is pretty well known for being in a teen drama over here called "skins".

It was excellent. I highly recommend it. Horrifying and heartwarming by turns. Well acted (including the child actors) beautiful looking.

I haven't seen Trainspotting, but I did see 28 Days Later. I'm not much for zombie movies and had no interest in seeing it, but some friends talked me into joining them, and I wound up liking it a lot. It was like a really intense and arty Twilight Zone episode. I watched it a second time on DVD.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #9117 on: December 24, 2008, 11:32:28 am »
We are having a Christmas Eve heat wave in Philadelphia. Temp. is already up to 37 F this morning.  ;D

Merry Christmas, everyone.  :)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #9118 on: December 24, 2008, 12:34:09 pm »
"Time to go, Cowboy."

Friends, this post will mark the end of my active participation on Bettermost. To me the "town" is no longer the congenial place it used to be, so it's time to pack up the saddle bags and head out.

I have nothing more to say about Brokeback Mountain, story or film. I am concerned about the direction I see the site heading, from the frying pan of virtually no Moderating to the fire of overly Moderating, with the attendant inconsistencies that are inevitable when the Moderating is being done by volunteer individuals, however well meaning and dedicated they may be--and I know our "Mods" are well meaning, dedicated, and self-sacrificing of their time to take on this responsibility. When, however, your Ignore list has grown longer than the figurative list of people you enjoy interacting with, it's time to do something about that.

I'm not going to ask for my account to be closed. Some friends seem to find it more convenient to communicate through Bettermost PMs than by direct e-mail, and I don't want to shut these people out of my life. So I'll be stopping in from time to time to pick up the mail (maybe use the pay phone across the street from the post office  ;D), and also to keep up with the Social Events forum, in hopes I may also be able to see some of my friends again in person.

This isn't going to be easy. Bettermost has become a habit supported and fostered by me being frequently bored and underemployed at work. But when something that was supposed to be fun, a place of camaraderie and enjoyment, has turned into a source of stress, well, it's time to go. And Christmas seems a good time to say Farewell to my friends, and hope to see you again soon.

I'm sorry if this post embarrasses "the Management," but I don't believe in just disappearing without a word, and it seemed appropriate to me to say good-bye on Chez Tremblay, since it was my Tremblayan buds who what brought me here in the beginning.

Merry Christmas, Happy New Year, and Adios, amigos.

J.W.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #9119 on: December 24, 2008, 12:56:34 pm »
Time to hit the hay, hunh cowboy? Ever the gentleman, Jeff! I appreciate you not just sneaking out without a word. While I'm very sad to hear it has come to this, I respect your decision. Please know you're always welcome to return, even if it's four effin years later! And thanks for keeping your PM mailbox open.

I do have stuff to try to understand about the movie and the story, so I need to stick around. I'm hoping someday more people will get their fill of fanfiction and current events and politics and all that other stuff that was never part of the movie or the story, and be more interested in the timeless themes. Also, I may be a dreamer, but I think there are people out there who have never seen the movie or read the story yet but will someday, and they will find their way here. I aim to leave the light on for them.

See you in the morning, friend.
"chewing gum and duct tape"