Author Topic: The ORIGINAL 1000+ Posts Club  (Read 4626099 times)

Offline CellarDweller

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
Re: The ORIGINAL 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #7590 on: August 16, 2008, 04:12:22 pm »
I hear you, Lee!   It's only the middle of August, but right now, it's only 82 degrees.  Usually we're in the mid 90s at this time of year.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline jstephens9

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #7591 on: August 16, 2008, 04:25:04 pm »
I hear you, Lee!   It's only the middle of August, but right now, it's only 82 degrees.  Usually we're in the mid 90s at this time of year.

It's only in the mid 70s here today and now it is thundering. I just hope we get some rain. I heard where it was in the 30s overnight in Colorado. Now that is just too cold for this time of the year.

Offline oilgun

« Reply #7592 on: August 16, 2008, 07:21:32 pm »
I'm back from a glorious week in Grand Bend ON.  We were lucky this year weather-wise, just about every day was perfect for the beach!  This is me, doing what i like best, absolutely nothing:

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #7593 on: August 16, 2008, 09:03:14 pm »
Cheers, Gil, welcome back!

Tell us about the tatoo.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #7594 on: August 16, 2008, 09:26:07 pm »
cool pic!  Glad you had such a good week!

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #7595 on: August 16, 2008, 10:19:50 pm »
Wow, that looks nice. Doing nothing is a great way to spend a vacation. Too many times vacations end up making you more tired cause you end up doing so much.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #7596 on: August 16, 2008, 10:20:25 pm »
Oilgun, you are surprising me stud, you at Grand Bend, so you live in Ontario?

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #7597 on: August 17, 2008, 03:19:20 am »
Great picture Gil, and welcome back. :)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #7598 on: August 17, 2008, 07:28:17 am »
Welcome back, Gil. Looks like a nice week at the beach!

I am here in Maine (still) and my thermometer tells me it is 57 degrees this morning, but it is nice and sunny and I am sure it will warm right up today.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #7599 on: August 17, 2008, 10:15:46 am »
Our Denver Brokies probably know all about this.  Rest easy in Cowboy Heaven, Jack!  :-*

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5jDnLWl1Vcj3ceDhFEhbBr9fUwpDAD92I80HO6

Denver Western wear maker Jack Weil dies at 107

By IVAN MORENO – 2 days ago

DENVER (AP) — Jack A. Weil, founder of the Rockmount Ranch Wear company whose snap-buttoned Western shirts became popular with movie stars and rock icons, has died. He was 107.

Weil died Wednesday at home, said Steve Weil, his grandson, who is the current president of the business his grandfather started in downtown Denver in 1946.

Steve Weil said his grandfather was the first to design Western shirts with snap buttons and also created pockets with jagged, sawtooth-pattern flaps. The snaps are often topped with real or synthetic mother of pearl.

"I learned fast you can't sell to cowboys; they have no money," the elder Weil said in a 2001 Associated Press interview. "You have to appeal to the cowboy in everyone and sell to them."

Weil's shirts have been worn in movies by Elvis Presley, Clark Gable (in his last film, "The Misfits") and Heath Ledger ("Brokeback Mountain.") Bob Dylan, John Fogerty and Eric Clapton also have sported the shirts.

In a 2004 Associated Press story on the company, blues and rock veteran Al Kooper said he had ordered shirts from Rockmount that week. "One of the biggest impressions on me is Elvis Presley. He wore Rockmount shirts," Kooper said.

Rockmount designed shirts for Colorado's House delegation for the Democratic National Convention in Denver later this month.

The price of a shirt has gone from about $2 in the 1940s to $60 and up today, mostly because the Weils kept manufacturing operations in the United States.

"I never wanted to be the richest man in the cemetery," he told his grandson.

Jack Weil remained chief executive officer of Rockmount and went to work daily until a few days before his death, his grandson said. He was believed to be the oldest CEO in the world.

Born in Evansville, Ind., in 1901, Weil learned apparel manufacturing while working at an overalls factory during World War I. He later was a salesman in Denver, and first got into the Western field by helping a friend sell cowboy hats.

Rockmount was a wholesale-only business for its first 55 years but opened a retail outlet after Denver lost many of its mainstay stores, his grandson said.
On the Net:

* Rockmount Ranch Wear: http://www.rockmount.com

EDIT:  JeffWrangler has started a thread on this topic here.
Ich bin ein Brokie...