Author Topic: Cameras: Film or Digital?  (Read 13807 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Cameras: Film or Digital?
« on: December 31, 2007, 08:45:05 pm »
I love cameras. But it wasn't until AFTER I obtained a degree in photography that I discovered I really don't have much of a talent for taking pictures. Oh sure, I know my way around a camera, but understanding lighting, color and camera settings really doesn't do you much good unless you have a creative eye. Composition is my weakest link.

I like both film and digital cameras. Up until recently I was using my film cameras most of the time; a Hasselblad medium format and a Nikon SLR.

Then in 2006 I gave in and decided to purchase a Canon A70 digital camera. It was only a 3.3 mp camera but it took beautiful pictures and it was small enough to stick in my pocket. Soon after, I bought a Sony F-717 5 mp digital camera. I liked the SLR style of the camera, even though it is actually a point and shoot with a large barrel lens. It also takes gorgeous pictures.

This past summer Canon released its G9 digital camera, and I just had to buy it. I love the G Series, and this camera had everything I was looking for.

Since purchasing the G9, I haven't picked up my film cameras. I think I've finally been convinced.

If you are looking for a good camera resource on the internet, I can recommend a few. Here's a good place to start...

http://www.steves-digicams.com/hardware_reviews.html

What camera(s) do you own? Do you like digital? Or do you prefer film?

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: Cameras: Film or Digital?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2007, 08:55:06 pm »
I finally got a digital this past summer. I think in the long run -- digitals will save you money if you take a lot of pictures. I bought a Canon Power Shot SD 1000 Digital Elph. I wonder if it's called "elph" because it's so small?  :P I love it. It was supposed to have such a short lag time. It's not that short. I may not know how to use it to the best of its abilty yet.

That's cool David--you have a photography degree. Any desire for a studio or wedding/graduation business?
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

injest

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2007, 08:58:25 pm »
I have a Minolta 35 mm camera I rarely use anymore, when I go on vacation I like to buy disposable cameras (just in case I lose or hurt them) and I have a Canon Power Shot A530 digital camera.

I like to take pics and have been selling some of my pictures! I made about $600 last year on them. (I know not much! but still exciting to me!)

I want want want a SLR so bad!!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2007, 09:04:56 pm »
I have a Minolta 35 mm camera I rarely use anymore, when I go on vacation I like to buy disposable cameras (just in case I lose or hurt them) and I have a Canon Power Shot A530 digital camera.

I like to take pics and have been selling some of my pictures! I made about $600 last year on them. (I know not much! but still exciting to me!)

I want want want a SLR so bad!!

Hey Jess!! That's wonderful!! I'd love to see some of your pictures! :D

I'm glad you own a Canon. I'm familiar with the A530. Silver and 5 mp, isn't it? Canon makes the best cameras (in my opinion). They are all very good cameras. The Dig!c imaging processor really helps too. It removes a lot of the "noise" from digital pictures, one of the things that turned me away from digital at first.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2007, 09:07:29 pm »
I finally got a digital this past summer. I think in the long run -- digitals will save you money if you take a lot of pictures. I bought a Canon Power Shot SD 1000 Digital Elph. I wonder if it's called "elph" because it's so small?  :P I love it. It was supposed to have such a short lag time. It's not that short. I may not know how to use it to the best of its abilty yet.

That's cool David--you have a photography degree. Any desire for a studio or wedding/graduation business?

Another Canon user!! Yay!! Those Elph cameras are also very good. :D

No, I don't plan to open any studios. I worked for a photography studio here in town for a few years. I was also a free lance photographer for a while and I wasn't very good at it. That's about all I've done with my degree.

injest

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2007, 09:14:31 pm »
Hey Jess!! That's wonderful!! I'd love to see some of your pictures! :D

I'm glad you own a Canon. I'm familiar with the A530. Silver and 5 mp, isn't it? Canon makes the best cameras (in my opinion). They are all very good cameras. The Dig!c imaging processor really helps too. It removes a lot of the "noise" from digital pictures, one of the things that turned me away from digital at first.

ok! here is one...

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2007, 09:22:33 pm »
WOW Jess!!! That is beautiful!! Did you take this picture with your digital camera?

You really have a very good eye for photography!! Contratulations! :)

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2007, 09:24:19 pm »
Very pretty! That would be thrilling to make money with the pictures you take!
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2007, 09:35:13 pm »
That is a very interesting picture of the horse. Do you remember what aperture value you used? It looks like around f/4.5. I love the angle. It's very captivating.

I leave my camera set on aperture priority most of the time. I love experimenting with depth of field. I also use the manual setting quite a bit. Canon cameras have a large array of goodies; lots of fun to play around with.

injest

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2007, 09:36:02 pm »
WOW Jess!!! That is beautiful!! Did you take this picture with your digital camera?

You really have a very good eye for photography!! Contratulations! :)

I really liked the horse one (I did it in black and white too) but the owner didn't like it!!

>:( >:(