Author Topic: "Lust, Caution" (Ang Lee's Next Film)  (Read 29990 times)

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • no way out but through
Re: Ang Lee's New Film, "Lust, Caution"
« Reply #50 on: September 23, 2007, 07:48:18 pm »
Does anyone know how to figure out where in the US it will be with its 'limited release'?  Or do I just wait a few more days and check listings?
“It can be a little distressing to have to overintellectualize yourself” - Heath Ledger

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #51 on: September 24, 2007, 09:55:17 am »
All I can find is that it opens in New York on September 28 and goes into a limited release a week later, on October 4th. But I can't find any listing of cities for the limited release.

L
« Last Edit: September 25, 2007, 09:16:56 pm by MaineWriter »
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • no way out but through
« Reply #52 on: September 25, 2007, 09:14:14 pm »
Thanks for trying Leslie!  I'm sure if you couldn't find it, the info just ain't available!
“It can be a little distressing to have to overintellectualize yourself” - Heath Ledger

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #53 on: September 27, 2007, 09:53:52 am »
Another news item....

Lee has modest expectations for ‘Lust’

The Star’s News Services

Academy Award-winning director Ang Lee has low expectations for the U.S. box office of his new spy thriller “Lust, Caution.”

“Its pace, its film language — it’s all very Chinese,” said Lee, who won the best director Oscar for “Brokeback Mountain.” “I also used Western film noir. It’s a new start for me. It’s not very audience-friendly for a market like the U.S. It’s not their subject matter.”

Lee was speaking at a forum for young directors Sunday in Hong Kong. He acknowledged that the NC-17 rating “Lust, Caution” is getting won’t help.

Variety has reported that “Lust, Caution,” which won the top Golden Lion prize at the recent Venice Film Festival, features lovemaking involving “provocative” sexual positions, implied oral sex and full frontal female nudity.
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
Re: Ang Lee's New Film, "Lust, Caution" - Showtimes by Trial & Error
« Reply #54 on: September 27, 2007, 10:45:21 am »
By typing in random cities, I found one additional city for Lust, Caution:

Looks like it opens in Atlanta 10/12:

http://www.fandango.com/lust,caution_102131/movietimes?location=Atlanta%2c+GA&date=10/12/2007

But, no info for SF, Seattle, LA, Dallas, DC, Chicago, nor Miami yet.  Looks like you can set Fandango up to send you an alert when it gets to your nearest major city...I set one up for SF.

P.S. Elle - Thanks for posting those video clips!
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #55 on: September 28, 2007, 09:45:41 pm »
An audio interview with Ang Lee in today's New York Times about "Lust, Caution."  I'm glad the film is getting so much publicity.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2007/09/27/movies/20070928_ANGLEE_FEATURE.html?8dpc#

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #56 on: September 29, 2007, 01:01:30 am »
There is a small to medium chance that some of us may try to see this in NYC this weekend:

3:55 Sunday at Lincoln Plaza

:D :D :D :D
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: "Lust, Caution" (Ang Lee's Next Film)
« Reply #57 on: September 30, 2007, 11:08:58 am »
In this weekend's Wall Street Journal, Ang Lee mentions his favourite dark romances, a thinly veiled promo for his fim that debuted two days ago. They include Laura, Double Indemnity, Chinatown, and The Big Sleep.

Reviews of Lust, Caution (w/o spoilers) wanted!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: "Lust, Caution" (Ang Lee's Next Film)
« Reply #58 on: October 01, 2007, 12:11:01 pm »
In this weekend's Wall Street Journal, Ang Lee mentions his favourite dark romances, a thinly veiled promo for his fim that debuted two days ago. They include Laura, Double Indemnity, Chinatown, and The Big Sleep.

Reviews of Lust, Caution (w/o spoilers) wanted!

Meryl posted one over on the "Resurrecting the Movies" thread. She saw it this weekend with a few other Brokies.

L

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
We saw "Lust, Caution" in NYC yesterday!
« Reply #59 on: October 01, 2007, 09:29:22 pm »
I have some pics to post too, but that'll take me awhile to download, etc..  Mostly I want to say that I thought this was a great film, unmistakably our Ang Lee, beautifully crafted.  And at least one shot screamed 'Rodrigo' to me.

I don't want to post any spoilers or start much in the way of discussion until more people get a chance to see it - I now see that it will be in SF starting 10/12, so it won't be much longer before it gets wider distribution.  I will say that I found the sexual violence absolutely shocking but it makes complete sense in context.

I think I would have had a deeper understanding of the film if I were more knowledgeable about the history of the period.  I recommend a review of WWII in the Pacific - specifically Japan's occupation of China and what was going on in Hong Kong and Shanghai from say 1939-1944.

So - here is a short but incomplete list of things to keep an eye out for so we can talk about it in another month or so.  :D

-The use of food or the lack of food
-The use of colors - navy, deep blues, pale lavender, grays
-The significance of mah-jong games

I have another list of spoiler-type stuff to talk about that I'm holding in reserve for now.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."