Author Topic: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll  (Read 3107733 times)

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
Re: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll
« Reply #8740 on: January 01, 2007, 01:43:00 pm »
Good Morning and Happy New Year to all!

Great pictures, Leslie - thanks!

Jumping back to Chapter32 - I thought this was necessary for Ennis to hear, regardless of how uncomfortable it made him -

“Long way ta Brokeback from here,” she said in the pool of silence that followed. “You are sure welcome ta spend the night in Jack’s room. Seems right somehow.”

Ennis bowed his head slightly, letting out a breath. “I really appreciate that, ma’am.”

“Mr. Del Mar I know it ain’t a mother’s place ta pry into the lives a grown up men, but my Jack is gone now... an I don’t have ta keep up airs like John wanted. I know he wasn’t really attached to his wife, which is why he never mentioned her all that time, an never brought her or the boy up ta see us. Only person he ever cared ta mention ... was you. It don’t take no college degree to known what that means.”

No, it certainly doesn't, Mrs.Twist - just takes a mother who knows and loves her son.  But that does bring a thought to mind- smart and educated are not necessarily the same thing, are they?  Some very smart people are "uneducated" (in the traditional sense) and some very "educated" people ain't so smart! I always thought that Ennis is an example of that, and so is Mrs. Twist.

Thanks - Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #8741 on: January 01, 2007, 01:58:35 pm »
Chapter 34:

He decided to wait until dawn to spread the ashes, then return down the mountain. He cooked himself some beans, a deliberate choice he made in memory of Jack, an invocation of their magical summer together. At first, it had seemed like a sentence of exile – the harsh rocky crags, the sudden weather shifts, the bone chilling cold at night, and the endless, inescapable stink of sheep creeping into everything, even their food. And all that changed, gradually at first, then all at once with the spark of their intimacy. And what lingered in his memory, was this sweetness... this magic.

L

And more from Chapter 34:

His voice broke halfway through the Psalm, but he kept on through the tears and the pain that welled up in his chest. When he finished, he opened the urn and let the ashes flutter out into the breeze, which carried them up and off, a small, insignificant cloud, like a puff of dust rising before a storm, and then dispersed. The last remains of Jack Twist. He set the urn in the shallow place he had dug for it next to where he had buried the letter, and covered it up with a hand trowel and his hands, dirtying them.

“Rest in peace, Jack. I will never forget you, as long as I live. An if I can, I will find out who did you in so you can have justice. Amen.” He knelt by the marker for half an hour until his weeping stopped, and he blew his nose with a handkerchief, a sad smile on his face. “I’ll be back soon, boy.”

Then he hoisted his backpack, and started back down the trail, feeling a sense of peace he had not had in many years.

L

:(  Awww. . . . Jack.   Sniff.  What beautiful, evocative writing.

Thanks - Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #8742 on: January 01, 2007, 02:00:32 pm »
Good Morning and Happy New Year to all!

Great pictures, Leslie - thanks!

Jumping back to Chapter32 - I thought this was necessary for Ennis to hear, regardless of how uncomfortable it made him -

“Long way ta Brokeback from here,” she said in the pool of silence that followed. “You are sure welcome ta spend the night in Jack’s room. Seems right somehow.”

Ennis bowed his head slightly, letting out a breath. “I really appreciate that, ma’am.”

“Mr. Del Mar I know it ain’t a mother’s place ta pry into the lives a grown up men, but my Jack is gone now... an I don’t have ta keep up airs like John wanted. I know he wasn’t really attached to his wife, which is why he never mentioned her all that time, an never brought her or the boy up ta see us. Only person he ever cared ta mention ... was you. It don’t take no college degree to known what that means.”

No, it certainly doesn't, Mrs.Twist - just takes a mother who knows and loves her son.  But that does bring a thought to mind- smart and educated are not necessarily the same thing, are they?  Some very smart people are "uneducated" (in the traditional sense) and some very "educated" people ain't so smart! I always thought that Ennis is an example of that, and so is Mrs. Twist.

Thanks - Marie

so true...
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • no way out but through
« Reply #8743 on: January 01, 2007, 02:00:55 pm »
Some very smart people are "uneducated" (in the traditional sense) and some very "educated" people ain't so smart!

true, that.  ;D
“It can be a little distressing to have to overintellectualize yourself” - Heath Ledger

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #8744 on: January 01, 2007, 02:03:55 pm »

Thanks - Marie

Ennis absolutely is, Marie. I agree. And as the story goes on, this comes out more, and Ennis becomes a bit more assertive. In the first book, he makes reference to having only a ninth grade education and even says he is "as ignorant as Pete." But later, he is having a conversation on the patio...I think with Dupree, and they are talking about horses. Ennis states that even though he doesn't have much education, he's not stupid.

Ennis is very perceptive and aware. Having the love and support of Ellery helps him to believe in himself...which is a theme in my story, too. It seems to me that Ennis's biggest struggle is with his own self-imposed limitations, and his shyness. Having someone he trusts and loves seems to be key to getting over both of those hurdles.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #8745 on: January 01, 2007, 02:26:00 pm »

Ennis is very perceptive and aware. Having the love and support of Ellery helps him to believe in himself...which is a theme in my story, too. It seems to me that Ennis's biggest struggle is with his own self-imposed limitations, and his shyness. Having someone he trusts and loves seems to be key to getting over both of those hurdles.

L

YES!  Exactly.  What a joy to watch Ennis overcome those hurdles in both stories!

If I recall, you mentioned that Ennis's downtime imposed by his legbone seemed to bring out his philosophical and introspective nature - that was wonderful to see, also - his wise, experienced, and caring counsel to Jeremy.  What a truly good man Ennis is! 

Thanks - Marie

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • no way out but through
« Reply #8746 on: January 01, 2007, 02:28:07 pm »
You know, we should form a "We Love Ennis" club...

lol
 ;)
“It can be a little distressing to have to overintellectualize yourself” - Heath Ledger

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #8747 on: January 01, 2007, 02:38:54 pm »

lol
 ;)

I have always loved Ennis and have always found him to be a more interesting and complex character than Jack (at least as portrayed by Heath and Jake in the movie).

Way back in the Oscar days (ie, last winter) I remember reading posts where people asserted that Jake should have been nominated for Best Actor, too. I disagreed then and I still disagree, having watched the movie many dozen more times since then. Jake did an excellent job, but it was all about supporting Heath...who brought Ennis completely to life, at least for me.

This is also what makes The Laramie Saga work for me. Ennis is a complex character and so is Ellery. The way Louise has brought them both to life...it just couldn't be more interesting, now could it?

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #8748 on: January 01, 2007, 02:53:08 pm »

lol
 ;)

Sign me up!  And since it was your idea - you can be President!  :)

This is also what makes The Laramie Saga work for me. Ennis is a complex character and so is Ellery. The way Louise has brought them both to life...it just couldn't be more interesting, now could it?

L

A wonderful insight as to why The Laramie Saga (and now the short stories) have so many of us completely captivated. 

Louise, you have us under your spell - you know that don't you?   ;D

Thanks - Marie

P.S. - Hey, look - I passed 100 posts!   :)

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • no way out but through
« Reply #8749 on: January 01, 2007, 02:56:32 pm »
Ennis is a complex character and so is Ellery. The way Louise has brought them both to life...it just couldn't be more interesting, now could it?

L

Certainly not!

(well, I do hesistate a little to say that, as Louise always seems to have something new and exciting up her sleeve...)
 ;)

Marie - congrats on passing 100 posts!

Me, president of the We Love Ennis fan club?  I best decline... I can only imagine how much trouble I'd get in to...  How bout you be prez and I get to be the first card-carrying member?