Author Topic: Messages From The Heartland  (Read 2162694 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Re: Messages From The Heartland
« Reply #3460 on: January 06, 2009, 03:37:39 am »
We have an ice storm headed our way! >:(

I hope it isn't a bad one. Sometimes the ice will coat the power lines, snap them and kick the power off. I hope that doesn't happen later today. I have too many things to do!
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

injest

« Reply #3461 on: January 06, 2009, 07:51:35 am »
Shasta, are you talking about those Rid-Ex devices they sell on TV? I've been tempted to buy a few of those but I was never certain whether they worked or not. Do they work? I've seen them for sale at CVS and Walgreen's but they are about $20 dollars apiece and I didn't want to sink that much money into something like that unless I was reasonably certain it worked.

I've often thought about teaching piano, but not in a public school. I'd give private lessons. Unfortunately I'd love to teach violin and cello too, but most kids these days are not interested in learning those instruments. But the piano remains fairly popular. :)

well there ARE still kids out there that DO like those instruments...even here in Hick Central...

one of my friends has a son that is in college on a full music scholarship, he plays the viola...(and SHE is the most country person I know, she says she don't know where it came from) he is having some big deal this March that I have been invited to...he is performing at an event that features him and his own compositions and he is being featured on a recording soo...

hey if there are people here that are that into it, I am sure there are up there in your part of the country!

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #3462 on: January 06, 2009, 08:10:56 am »
We have an ice storm headed our way! >:(

I hope it isn't a bad one. Sometimes the ice will coat the power lines, snap them and kick the power off. I hope that doesn't happen later today. I have too many things to do!

Morning David.

Apparently, someone said yesterday that NJ is supposed to have an ice storm later this evening.  We shall see.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #3463 on: January 06, 2009, 08:19:59 am »
The one I got emits some kind of ? -- laser, maybe ? -- I got it at the grocery store and it was close to 20.00. I think the TV one emits some kind of vibration throughout the walls. I've never had one of those, so I don't know whether they work or not.

I had seen a mouse in my bedroom!! So I plugged one in in there and I haven't seen or heard him since. No signs either.  :) The only thing--you have to have one for each room because the laser or whatever won't go through walls. I will probably one at a time until all rooms are covered.
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #3464 on: January 06, 2009, 09:41:43 am »
Hey David. I heard Yo-yo Ma play the suites at Boston Symphony Hall many years back.  I think my favorite is the sixth.  Remember the PBS performance with Torvill and Dean skating?  I found it:

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0g-uf81SUko[/youtube]
(Skip ahead, music starts at 1:20)

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #3465 on: January 06, 2009, 09:55:23 am »

David, I am sure with your connection to your instrument, you will play beautifully.  Thank you for that description of you and your
Cellos connection.  That is a true musicians heart.    :)

Beautiful mind

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #3466 on: January 07, 2009, 01:14:40 am »
well there ARE still kids out there that DO like those instruments...even here in Hick Central...

one of my friends has a son that is in college on a full music scholarship, he plays the viola...(and SHE is the most country person I know, she says she don't know where it came from) he is having some big deal this March that I have been invited to...he is performing at an event that features him and his own compositions and he is being featured on a recording soo...

hey if there are people here that are that into it, I am sure there are up there in your part of the country!

I think I remember you talking about that young man once before Jess. I remember reading something about you knowing someone who played the viola. At least I THINK it was you. Anyway, kudos to him! I always love to hear about young people interested in classical music. I'm hoping Eric will come around and express interest in the cello, although I doubt I could afford to buy him a cello right now! I better start saving, huh? ;)

Did you ever get around to watching Amadeus, Jess?

injest

« Reply #3467 on: January 07, 2009, 01:15:55 am »
I think I remember you talking about that young man once before Jess. I remember reading something about you knowing someone who played the viola. At least I THINK it was you. Anyway, kudos to him! I always love to hear about young people interested in classical music. I'm hoping Eric will come around and express interest in the cello, although I doubt I could afford to buy him a cello right now! I better start saving, huh? ;)

Did you ever get around to watching Amadeus, Jess?

no, but you gave me an idea for a new thread!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #3468 on: January 07, 2009, 01:16:07 am »

David, I am sure with your connection to your instrument, you will play beautifully.  Thank you for that description of you and your
Cellos connection.  That is a true musicians heart.    :)

Thank you Janice! What a sweet thing to say! :-*

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #3469 on: January 07, 2009, 01:23:26 am »
Hey David. I heard Yo-yo Ma play the suites at Boston Symphony Hall many years back.  I think my favorite is the sixth.  Remember the PBS performance with Torvill and Dean skating?  I found it:

I can't watch the video Paul. I'm on dial-up. I have the sheet music to all the Cello Suites. Actually it's a book. When I first bought it years ago it would keep flipping closed as I was playing. >:(

But I've worn it down quite a bit and now it stays open like it is suppose to. :D

Yes, #6 is beautiful. I agree with you. I haven't played that one in a long time. It's a difficult one because of all the very high position work involved. I may try to tackle it again though.