Author Topic: Shakesthegrounds Rumblings  (Read 2598461 times)

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
Re: Shakesthegrounds Rumblings
« Reply #3730 on: January 30, 2008, 03:49:34 pm »
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Z3pMfCTQHU[/youtube]

:o
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #3731 on: January 30, 2008, 05:59:12 pm »
Shall we gather at the river...  That certainly takes me back to my childhood.  Thanks for the video Truman.  Hope you are well.

You asked about the film Matwan down in my blog a few days ago.  I'm wondering if you noticed that I anwered you.

Take care.

Hugs to you, you sexy beast.  :laugh:

Gary 

I sure did, sorry I didn;t post, I will get over there.

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #3732 on: January 30, 2008, 07:47:40 pm »
 ;)

But I never did go see the African Queen. It was docked nearby where we stayed, but for what ever reason I never remembered to go over there and see it. I had time, driving up and down the road, looking for a Winn Dixie, calling my friend and asking him what the temperature was in his world.  ;) Finding a Winn Dixie, which I thought was gone from the earth. Finding mangos, but I never went to see the African Queen and I regret that.

The day after the snorkeling adventure, the beginning of the last year George Bush will be in the White House, it was time to make the road trip to Key West. A trip of a hundred or so miles out the chain of islands. On this series of bridges, sometimes seeing the remains of the railroad bridge that carried the trains to and from the deep water port of Key West. Carried also the huge pipeline of drinking water from Miami, so all these people could live out there.

Down U.S. 1, the old road, The Overseas Highway. From Key to Key, there are hundreds of them. All of them named, even if it is named No Name Key. We came up on Islamorda, its coporation name, I thought how you could break up the syllables to makes it Islam-orada.  ;D  The local business not relaced by corporate Ameira so much, there were McDonalds and Wendys and the like, but mostly it was Highway 1, on and on, under an overcast sky, srounded by water at times, the wind whipping, I was glad I was not in the Hummer from Teaneck, New York, as we crossed the bridges. We visited a natural area set aside on Vaca Key, learned how the islands were settled by people from the Bahamas. Decendants of free Africans and British loyalists from revolutionany times. No hurry, 55 mph at the most, thru Marathon, Biahonda State Park, where my classmates camped years ago and stole the sign, to Big Pine Key, home of the endangered Key Deer, which we searched all over the island for, and at the last moment saw one behind an auto parts store. The mile markers continued to decline, the naval airstation came into view, and at 1:30 in the afternoon, thankfully, Chicos Cantina, where Mexican food and Margaritas were greedily consumed next to a propane heater.

From there we were off to explore Key West with what day light we had left.

The Claus were the people who had lived here. When the Spanish arrived with Ponce De Leon in 1521 they called this island Cayo Hueso, or Island of Bones, as the place was littered with them. Human bones, everywhere. Here now was Truman Street, named for my namesake, who was not the only President to fall in love with the place, but the one who spent the most time there, largely because they were renovation the White House at the time. Buzzed and cautions we cruised along and came upon the Adult Book story that I have already written about.

We also saw a chicken cross the road. Lots of them, They are everywhere. Not as many as I saw on the island of Kauai, but they blended in to the landscape, the old houses, the run down shotguns boarded up, worth in the millions, we were nearing the end of the line. We had passed mile marker zero and parked the car. We had walked past the southern most house in the contiguous U.S., and its neighbor the southernmost southernmost house (you can say that twice and mean it again) and out onto the concrete pier, out in to the murky shallow greenish water, where you are told not to dive in because it is shallow, owing no doubt, to Thelma and Louise's, drunk on Margaritas, unable to resist the pull of Cuba, only 90 miles away, oh if we could just get there and talk to Castro, have a drink with him, we could cure all this nonsense and get along. "Can we all get along?" and there, at the end of the pier, smiling down us her eternal frozen smile, was Anne Frank.

Smiling, that goofy, Gyllenhaalesque smile from a pre war photo booth, a napkin around her neck, she sits already at the table of brotherhood, or whatever, Dr. King spoke of, where the sons of slaves and the sons of slave owners will sit together, in brotherhood, or what ever is inclusively appropriate, and she tells us, that indeed, that basically all people are good. They get lost sometimes, they do stoopid things, (but you don't be mean to them.  ;) ), and you take in a lung full of sea air and you stare off, into the void, into the blue that people occasionally fall out of.

And your phone beeps with a text from Lynne axing where you are.

Scott6373

« Reply #3733 on: January 30, 2008, 08:00:58 pm »
"We also saw a chicken cross the road."

Did you ask them why they were doing that?

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I swear.............
« Reply #3734 on: January 30, 2008, 09:36:38 pm »
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Z3pMfCTQHU[/youtube]

:o
That was beautiful!
I remember that one.
It also reminds me of a joke.

A Preacher was having a fiery sermon on the evils of alcohol.
He ended his sermon by slamming his Bible down on the podium and saying "all the vile alcohol should be taken from the stores and poured straight into the river!" He then picked up the Bible and stomped off to sit down as the music minister stood to lead the closing hymn.
"Now dear brothers and sisters" he said "turn to page 214 in your hymnals and join me in singing that wonderful hymn Shall We Gather at the River". The preacher fainted!  :laugh:
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #3735 on: January 30, 2008, 10:02:21 pm »
 ;) Scott!

History has a way of sneaking up on us. It is like that old saying when you are looking for something you cannot see right in front of you, someone will say "If it were a Snake it would have bit you." To which I always say: "If it were a snake I would have seen it."

We came down from the mountain we past the sign that told about the trail, the one we read before we took off, with the pictures of the native plants, the Grass of Parnassus. I joked with them about it, how there should be a variety named Jack Onassis' Grass of Parnassus.

And on the other side of the world, he was on the set, giving the last moments of himself on celluloid. The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus. Who knew?

We were back down the parkway, back to Don Wroe's, Chuck switching gears into the summation of thousands of years of Italian cooking, my partner arrived with the next mornings breakfast, and I introduced them congregation to corn liquor. Mixed it with the spicy Blenheim Gingerale, like they did in the old times. We put a decent dent in the jar. The fire was relit, and the sky went dark once more.

And we were conversant, of Michael Cunningham and his works, namely The Hours, which I have smiled and thought of as I sit here pecking away. Of Sue Miller, who maybe at this minute packing her mothers china service. Of Richard C. Davids, who wrote a book thirty years ago called "The Man Who Moved A Mountain". I pulled it off the shelve and found the picture taken on Buffalo Mountain around 1900, the same rock we had seen that very day. Wulf took it in hand and began to absorb the story.

The story. Could I write a Cliff Notes version?

Here we were sitting in the lap of luxury on a mountain side that in my fathers time would be waste land. The land was what it was all about. The Scots-Irish and Germans who settled here, married the Indians and tried to have a sweet life, a desperate life is what they got. Trying to get the barren soil to feed them, eating every part of every animal they killed. It was a hard life. It was the kind of world in which my great, great, great, great grandfather, upon becoming a father for the 17th time at the age of 74 named his son Burden. He was luck, he got a name. Some were called Babe their whole life and it was not a term of endearment, it was a sign that the parents who had the energy to have sex did not have the will to come up with another name.

So it was with Babe Childress. He survived to adulthood and took a wife whose name was Lum. Their son Bob Childress was the man who moved the mountain. He came of age in that very rough time about 1912 when the world came crashing in on them.

It started on a weekday in Hillsville. In court, a member of the Allan family was charged with something, and his kinfolks showed up with guns, and shot the place up, killed several people, including the judge and clerk. The media of the day went nuts and forces nationwide arrived on the seen to hunt these animals down. And what the media had to say about us.....I guess it was true, but it was like we were too stoopid to even know we were being talked about.

The caught the Allans, put them all in the electric chair in Richmond and later put their corpses on display. But the attention they brung to this part of the mountans, changed it forever.

The churches came in and built mission schools. My Great Aent Ollie, the only girl and youngest surviving child in her family benefited from it. She got more than just the rudimentary education my granddaddy and Bob Childress got. Bob Childress went on to become a Presbyterian minister and built stone churches all over the area, drawing the people away from their home grown Primitive Baptist institutions. Ollie went to nursing school in Richmond, came home and worked for the mission school, fell in love with a man from Louisiana named Walter Pettis. He came up to the house and sat on the porch and asked my great grandmother for her hand and she said no. He was  "a foreigner" and she sent him away.

There is no one now who could say why Ollie did not run away. My grandmother told me how it payed out: the doctors said it was Tuberculosis. She always thought it was a broken heart. There was that picture we were all made to look at: Aent Ollie's last birthday, 1929. She standing there on the porch with her nieces an nephews with her hands in her jacket pockets, trying to smile.

Her brothers built a sleeping porch on to the house. She slept there, in winter, under piles of blankets and quilts, in the belief the cold air would do her good, sleeping there alone without Walter Pettis. In the spring on 1930 she died and was buried in the family plot, up on the hill.

In 1946 my grandfather received a letter from Walter Pettis that sits now in front of me on my desk. He speaks of trying to learn how to write verse and about after Ollie, which he spent alone. He wrote:

When years draw nigh and slow us down,
  And youth hath flown away;
When color's faded from our crown,
  And wrinkles there to stay;
When friends of yore have gone ahead,
  And crossed that chilly stream;
When eyes are dimmed and darkness comes,
  And yet some light doth beam,
When steps do falter as we go,
  And totter all the way;
When someone says we are old fools,
  And says it every day;

Then we have seem a heap o' life,
  And know it very well;
Then we do know who is the fool,
  And know that we can tell;
Then Wisdom's refind us to know,
  And wisdom's come to stay;
Then youth doth seem the chaff of Life,
  And it hath gone away;
Then natures kind to us we know,
  And does not hold us down;
The husks of life have blown away,
  And we wear Wisdom's Crown.

But I digress, too eager to see how history snuck up on those who came before me.

Chuck put together a masterpiece, it was heavenly, because he cooked the hell out of it. We blessed his hands and ate. There was I, in the same place, with a different family, the one I chose, the one I was free to choose by time and circumstance. And that night, Wulf talked more than he had the whole time. That night, we listened to Salamander Crossing, that night I would like to believe in my heart of hearts, the cowboys of heaven danced and were happy for a little while. As sometimes, you do need to reach the destination.  

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I swear.............
« Reply #3736 on: January 30, 2008, 11:40:48 pm »
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Good one, Richard.  Have you heard this one:

Jews don't recognize Jesus as the Messiah.  Protestants don't recognize the Pope as the head of the Christian faith.  And Baptists don't recognize each other at the liquor store.

LOL
YOu can say that twice and mean it!! LOL

Reminds me of another.....

A man dies and goes to heaven. He gets to the pearly gates and sees St Peter there. He says "am I in heaven"?
 St Peter puts his finger to his lips sushing him  and runs over and grabs his hand and leads him in on tip toe.
As they are tip toeing down the street of gold they come by a huge auditorium full of stone faced sour looking people.
St Pete anticipating a question puts his finger to his lips again and leads the man on. After the auditorium was way behind them St Pete says "Ok you can talk now". The guy says "why all the tip toeing and silence and who were all those people in that huge auditorium back there"? St Pete replies " well, those were the Baptisits. We have to be quiet because they think they are the only ones here"! LOL  :laugh:
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #3737 on: January 31, 2008, 09:00:36 pm »
So this is what happens when you wait too long, and the stuff piles up and you have an emergency like the passing of Heath to deal with. You loose track of the things you initially thought writing about, that you thought was going to make a good story.

Our first full day in Florida we went to Disney, where Minnie Mouse bit my hand and I walked further than I had in a long time. We visited the Hall of Presidents, where real automatrons imitated all of those men, standing and sitting up on the stage, Abe Lincolns arms several inches above the arm rests of his chair. The announcer introducing the program reading the preamble to the U.S. Declaration of Independence:

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. "

Thomas Jefferson wrote these words. He was a slave holder and like other men of his time either considered men a catch all phrase for all humans, or maybe he considered women unimportant in the political spectre. Get past that point to those unalienable rights: Life, Liberty and the PURSUIT of Happiness.

I don't feel like he is saying we have no right to be happy, I think he had realized in the course of his life that happiness is a fleeting thing. We have the right to pursue it, like a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, as metaphor for our dreams, but there are no guarantees.

And there is that new age-esque saying that it is the journey and not the destination. Destinations do get reached, and that is usually when it is over.

So I spent my time in Florida pondering a course of action that would live up to that belief that I am entitled to pursue happiness. I tried to identify what would make me happy, what would be positive and move toward it, at my own speed. When an obstacle appeared I did not let it bother me because I knew happiness was still there, in this mask or some other. ;)

Happiness was sitting way too long at a restaurant on the Indian reservation waiting for a burger, on a beautiful day with the Everglades just outside the window.  8)

Happiness was that day not being in Lawrence, Massachusetts, where CNN told me townhouses were burning.  :'(

Happiness was knowing that it would be dark, and late when we reached Orlando because we found this back road thru the swamp to dawdle and see gators and cranes and snakes and buzzards and flowers and things I have never seen before.  :o

Happiness was the full moon over the interstate, and Eartha Kitt singing her wacky version of Moon River.   ;D

Happiness was having a friend kiss me on the mouth in a sports bar at the airport in Greensboro, North Carolina, and walking back to my car a foot off the ground.   :D

Happiness was the phone that would not stop ringing when I cut it on in chilly Virginia, even if it was full of bad news.  :'(

I will pursue happiness. I expect I will see you along the way.  ;)

Scott6373

« Reply #3738 on: January 31, 2008, 09:03:20 pm »
You will.   ;D  I'll have a tall cold one waiting for ya  :-*

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #3739 on: January 31, 2008, 09:05:52 pm »
You will.   ;D  I'll have a tall cold one waiting for ya  :-*

Maybe at some upsacle bar where those townhouses used to be?