Author Topic: Favorite facial expressions?  (Read 28157 times)

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
Re: Favorite facial expressions?
« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2007, 04:35:22 am »
My favourite is the look on Jack's face just after Ennis has kissed him hard on the lips, and just before he turns Ennis around and slams him into the wall and kisses him......

I watch that scene over and over.....and get pissed off, when the scene changes to Alma looking out the bloody door.....
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline serious crayons

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2007, 01:33:05 pm »
No more need to get pissed off, Sue! Here's a YouTube video of the entire scene, with the Alma parts deleted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DD72Cvq6n-Y

:D

Offline BBM-Cat

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #42 on: January 31, 2007, 03:47:20 pm »
One of the best (and most heartbreaking) moments for me is when Jack and Ennis part in Signal.. and Jack drives off looking in his sideview mirror - there's a moment where his lips part and he gives a subtle heave and sigh - you can almost hear his heart breaking in that moment - like the life was just sucked out of him. So much emotion captured in just a few milliseconds. It always makes me think he's going to turn the truck around, but something keeps him driving onward...
Six-word Stories:  ~Jack: Lightning Flat, lightning love, flat denied   ~Ennis: Open space: flat tire, tire iron?

Offline saucycobblers

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.
« Reply #43 on: February 01, 2007, 08:16:28 am »
One of the best (and most heartbreaking) moments for me is when Jack and Ennis part in Signal.. and Jack drives off looking in his sideview mirror - there's a moment where his lips part and he gives a subtle heave and sigh - you can almost hear his heart breaking in that moment - like the life was just sucked out of him. So much emotion captured in just a few milliseconds. It always makes me think he's going to turn the truck around, but something keeps him driving onward...

It is a heartbreaking moment  :'(. I get the impression that up until that point there's still an ever-dwindling part of Jack that thinks there might still be some hope. The look of hope on his face when he says "I might be back next year, if the army don't get me" breaks my heart every time - it's like last chance saloon, and then as he drives away and sees Ennis walking away, not even turning to look at the retreating Jack, and he realises he may never see this man again. Shit, I'm filling up just thinking about it... :'( :'( :'(
« Last Edit: February 01, 2007, 08:19:21 am by saucycobblers »
Will you stop playing with that radio of yours, I'm trying to get to sleep!

Offline HerrKaiser

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #44 on: February 03, 2007, 11:52:38 am »
Every time I screen the film, there are a few special seconds of Ennis that grab me most....

When Ennis is cleaning the pots and pans in the stream during one of their first mornings on BBM, he stands up and looks up to the mountain, sees Jack as a spec of black on the mountainside, and then the camera goes in for a close up on Ennis' face.

His expression of wonder, yearning, loneliness, semi confusion, fate, and innocense is grippingly sensational. In that small scene, he has a similar look/appeal of Brandon deWilde in Hud; interestingly characters cut from the same cloth in many ways.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #45 on: February 03, 2007, 01:02:29 pm »
No more need to get pissed off, Sue! Here's a YouTube video of the entire scene, with the Alma parts deleted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DD72Cvq6n-Y

:D

Cool Katherine. I haven't seen it before. Thanks  8).

THE kiss without Alma *sighs*. It's no news but it bears repeating: I think this is the absolute best and hottest kiss ever seen in a movie  :D.

Another facial expression I love:
How Ennis looks at Jack after he said "Watch out there, the horse 's got a low startle point", when Jack's horse crow-hops the first time:

Already so mixed emotions in Ennis at this early point: astonishment, a bit care, also a little amusement. But I think mostly he thinks 'Who is this guy?' He's already fascinated by Jack and can't pigeonhole him.

Offline Katie77

• Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #46 on: February 04, 2007, 06:47:31 am »
Yes, thank you Katherine for that you tube site........hadn't seen that before....now I can watch it over and over (without Alma)......obviously, I wasn't the only one who just wanted the boys in that scene.
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

moremojo

« Reply #47 on: March 19, 2007, 01:23:33 pm »
In that small scene, he has a similar look/appeal of Brandon deWilde in Hud; interestingly characters cut from the same cloth in many ways.
This might not be a coincidence. Hud was adapted from a Larry McMurtry novel, and McMurtry, of course, was one of the co-authors of the screenplay to Brokeback Mountain. In fact, I believe in one of the earlier unpublished drafts of the screenplay, the film that Ennis and Alma are watching at the drive-in was described as being Hud (as a sort of in-joke), but this was changed as it was felt to be a bit heavy-handed in its connotations.

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #48 on: June 05, 2007, 11:37:23 am »
I really like to watch their faces in the whole elk shooting scene. Especially Jack's surprised look when Ennis shoves him and Ennis wanting to grin, but trying not to. Cute, cute, cute!!
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

mvansand76

« Reply #49 on: June 05, 2007, 11:49:28 am »
Dunno if this one has been mentioned or not, but I find myself doing it ALL THE TIME......

The corner of the mouth raise when Ennis after he has gotten the supplies at the bridge and leads the donkeys away....