Author Topic: Favorite facial expressions?  (Read 28161 times)

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Favorite facial expressions?
« Reply #70 on: June 06, 2007, 09:02:02 pm »
I just had too add my two favorite 'happy Ennis scenes.  "Sending a prayer of thanks" and "your going to run the sheep off  again" when they are riding back after untangling the sheep.  In both those moments he just looks so relaxed and content, unlike just about every other scene.

Also one more, on the way up the mountain, when  Ennis is smoking overlooking the sheep while Jack has the sheep in his lap. I also love Ennis/Heath's expression at that moment, even though we don't see his whole face.  I still haven't really figured out what he is thinking at that moment, though I always thought it was sadness, and loneliness.

Offline THE WINGS

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #71 on: June 06, 2007, 10:05:02 pm »
There are just so may to choose from!  Where to start?  For me, these ones immediately come to mind:

1. The look Ennis gives Jack, as they are riding together after sorting out the mixed flocks of sheep, right after Ennis teases Jack about his harmonica playing.  This is a subtle, yet powerful clue, as to how much Ennis has fallen in love with Jack.

2.  The look Jack gives the bartender after Jimbo returns to the pool table.  The way he looks so serious and moves his eyebrows to emphasize the point he was making about not being able to afford "a ropin' horse".

3.   The expressions on both of their faces, during the Lake Scene argument, as they are face to face.  The intensity, was so real, yet not melodramatic.  I totally forgot that it was Heath and Jake ACTING in this scene. They had truly BECOME Ennis and Jack.

4.    Alma's look of shock when she discovers "it".

5.     Lureen's look, after Jack asks LaShawn to dance.

6.     Ennis's expression when he comes back down stairs holding those shirts, and he looks at Jack's momma
 as if to say. 'I would like to take these home with me'.

7.  Jack's momma's 'knowing look' in return.

8.  The "Jack, I swear...." scene. Chokes me up everytime.

Offline serious crayons

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #72 on: June 07, 2007, 12:24:56 am »
Also one more, on the way up the mountain, when  Ennis is smoking overlooking the sheep while Jack has the sheep in his lap. I also love Ennis/Heath's expression at that moment, even though we don't see his whole face.  I still haven't really figured out what he is thinking at that moment, though I always thought it was sadness, and loneliness.

I love that one, too! It's simultaneously peaceful and sad.

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #73 on: June 07, 2007, 12:48:24 am »
That's a great description, I definitely agree, it is sad but peaceful too.  One of my absolute favorites. 

If it wasn't so late for me and I knew exactly where to find it I would post the picture here (hint, hint, anyone?).

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #74 on: June 07, 2007, 01:07:04 am »
That's a great description, I definitely agree, it is sad but peaceful too.  One of my absolute favorites. 

If it wasn't so late for me and I knew exactly where to find it I would post the picture here (hint, hint, anyone?).

Your wish is my command! It's particularly sad because it's like Ennis is at peace with BEING sad.

Here's the shot, from Striped Wall. And I'm sorry it's so huge. I feel like such an idiot, but I never remember how to resize photos.  ::) If anyone wants to give me a clue, I will fix this. Meanwhile, it's like watching it in IMAX. Maybe that's not such a bad thing ...  8)

Offline cathyinaz

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #75 on: June 07, 2007, 01:52:47 am »
I love the facial expressions on both Jack and Ennis faces as they break apart and nuzzle at the end of the reunion kiss. Jack keeps trying to rub up against Ennis face and Ennis pats him as he trys to pull himself together. I think this is so well acted and both guys are so gorgeous.

I also especially love 19 year old Jack's expression as he watches Ennis ride away after the dozy embrace. So many perfect moments to choose from.

Offline Marina

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #76 on: June 07, 2007, 10:24:13 pm »
Kerry, Cameron and everyone,

I'm glad you agree, those two scenes, Ennis' facial expressions in SNIT and Jack's during the dozy embrace are my two favorites among so many. 

Brokeback Mountain is one of the most profoundly moving films I have ever seen, and I've seen it many times.  I watch it every now and then, so I know a lot of the expressions by heart and never cease to be amazed and moved by them.  :)
“Only within the moment of time represented by the present century has one species -- man -- acquired significant power to alter the nature of his world.”
~Rachel Carson~

~Looking back on it, they both realized it was the best thing they ever had.~  - A Mother's Love

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #77 on: June 08, 2007, 12:34:49 pm »
I love every single one of the great expressions mentioned so far, and how beautifully everyone describes them.

I keep coming back to two moments for Heath that always blow me away.  He conveys so much in one brief moment:

The totally indescribable look when he says "What?" before Jack's comment about "that's the most you've said in two weeks."

The way he uses his eyes when he's trying to find out if Jack ever gets the feeling that people on the street "know."  He tries to make it sound casual, but his eyes focus on Jack with piercing intensity from under the brim of his hat, furtive and scared, then look away again.  Then when Jack doesn't reassure him, but suggests he move, that underlying fear just whooshes out of him in the outburst that follows.
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #78 on: June 08, 2007, 01:52:05 pm »
The way he uses his eyes when he's trying to find out if Jack ever gets the feeling that people on the street "know."  He tries to make it sound casual, but his eyes focus on Jack with piercing intensity from under the brim of his hat, furtive and scared, then look away again.  Then when Jack doesn't reassure him, but suggests he move, that underlying fear just whooshes out of him in the outburst that follows.

Well put, Meryl. That is a telling facial expression. And Jack's response sort of (unintentionally) reinforces Ennis' idea that, rather than not worry at all, it's best to hide.

:(

Offline Delmardeb

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #79 on: June 08, 2007, 08:43:32 pm »
There are so many facial expressions that I love from our boys, but the ones that I like the most are- Ennis- after he says, "You better watch it there, that horse has a low startle point" >I see his shyness and a little embarassment after Jack talks about tying knots all day.
Another one is after Ennis says "hell that's the most I spoke in a year," and the one when he is in the closet after he discovers the shirts. There are so many- I could go on and on. His expressions are so boyish and innocent looking.

I love the facial expressions of Jack in the dozy embrace- and when he puts his head down, I really get sad. :( I also like Jack's expressions whenever the camera is focused on him looking at Ennis or turning around and looking at Jimbo walk away. I can't leave out the facial expression when he tries to comfort Ennis after he hits him before they leave BBM.

There are just too many to write about so I'll stop here and go into the kitchen and get my piece of cherry cake. :)

For how long? As long as we can ride it; ain't no reins on this one.