Author Topic: Going Home  (Read 37768 times)

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
Re: Going Home
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2008, 08:02:34 am »
Hey Fabienne Giacomo,  :)

"Falling into place" is a perfect way to put it.  One of the countless things I love about this story is that, almost from the start,there has been a consistent sense of inevitability about the fact that Jack would end up moving to the island and that they both realized it, accepted it, and moved towards that end with a minimum amount of "discussion."  The conflicts, for the most part, have been from outside sources - not between J&E - and have only served to draw them closer together and strengthen their bond. 

I love the story, too - it's unique in so many ways - all of them good, and very skillfully written.

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2008, 08:11:33 am »
SPOILERS

I didn't see it coming either!  But everything about it fit these two so perfectly. 

Jack watched as Ennis bowed his head, sure he could see a smirk. “Well, I’m no doin this and the dinner dance as well.”

Jack pushed him. “Jesus! You fucking bastard, Ennis.”

Ennis laughed. “I’d do anything for you, you know that.” He pulled Jack towards him and the fell back onto the cushions.

This chapter, like all the others, is pure gold.   :)

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2008, 05:19:18 pm »
You know, I thought there would be a lot more problems for them before they reached this point! Figured Morag's father, or old John, or someone else, would create difficulties and cause Ennis, especially, pain. Though I'm not adverse to some good ol'fashioned angst, I'm nevertheless delighted at this lovely and heart-warming turn of events. Love has truly worked its magic on both of them, but it's most noticable in Ennis. I hope they'll have a big, big party and invite half the island - that would be the non-bigoted and decent half, of course!  :)

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #34 on: July 07, 2008, 01:17:17 pm »
The final chapter - Chapter 30 "Yule" is up!

http://goinghome-lj.livejournal.com/11148.html#cutid1

and a short, but beautiful epilogue and a lovely note from Helen:

http://goinghome-lj.livejournal.com/16521.html#cutid1

That was "just right" in every way.    :)

Marie

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2008, 01:19:47 pm »
Thanks for the heads up Marie, but I can't open the link.  ???

I get a message that the journal has been deleted. Hunh?? I really want to read the final chapter of this wonderful story.  :-\
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline rlh03

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2008, 06:25:47 am »
same thing happened to me, too ???

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #37 on: July 21, 2008, 08:23:45 am »
Thanks for the heads up Marie, but I can't open the link.  ???

I get a message that the journal has been deleted. Hunh?? I really want to read the final chapter of this wonderful story.  :-\

same thing happened to me, too ???

Ack!  They're gone already?  She did mention she was going to remove them, but I didn't realize they'd be gone so soon.  I didn't get a chance to save the last chapters yet, but I do remember that a few kind lj users publicly offered to share their word docs with anyone who asked, so if you go to their journals you can send them a message:

hesamathgeek

sid401k 

acquaalta

Hope that helps!

Marie

Offline Aristogeiton

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2010, 01:06:15 am »
Hello everyone,

I know I may be asking this much too late, but I'm new to your forum and was wondering if anyone here has copies of Going Home's last chapter (Yule) and its Epilogue that they'd be willing to share.  I saved the other sections long ago but just re-read them and fell in love with Helen/1_of_one's saga all over again!  I'd be incredibly grateful to any generous soul who could help me see how this beautiful story finally ended.  Please?  Pretty please?   :-*

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2010, 10:58:24 pm »
pm  me your email

r O0

Heathen