Author Topic: Scene Discussion: Enter the Harmonica  (Read 13577 times)

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Scene Discussion: Enter the Harmonica
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2007, 12:54:20 pm »
Also, why is Jack just chillin with his harmonica while Ennis is setting up the camp all on his own, hmmm???

I agree with what has already been said. Additionally, Jack himself gives the answer (I think): "It ain't goin nowhere. Let it be." The camp is already set, they did it together, they had put up the tent together. Jack thinks everything is done good enough and  prefers to enjoy some leisure time. But for dutiful and careful Ennis it's not good enough (remember how thoughtful he tied the knots), because it's not completely right. It doesn't matter that Ennis himself is not supposed to sleep there; it ain't right and therefore Ennis tries to make it right.

And he's setting up their honeymoon suite without knowing it  :). This thought is not from me, I read it somewhere, but I like it very much.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2007, 01:50:52 pm »
This pic shows the new coffepot moment I saw for the first time at our screening in Estes Park. I wanted to post it in the buckets thread, but it fits also here. Have you already noticed the coffeepot in this scene, Lee?
It's on the right of the tent (left from our viewpoint), directly in front of the (metal?) boxes that were scattered by the dumbass mules. Next to it is another blue enamel item, I'm pretty sure it's a toppled over coffee mug . I'll add a blow-up of it to this post.

What is striking yet again, it that the coffeepot stands out. I know, sounds a bit odd because I just noticed it in my umpteenth viewing  ::). But it is true nevertheless. It stands out because it (and the barely visible mug) is the only item of small equipment things that is to be seen. All the bigger things are settled, the camp is basically set, but the odds and ends aren't put out by then.
Only the coffeepot is standing upright and therefore striking.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2007, 02:12:09 pm »
Thanks for pointing this out, Chrissi! Isn't it interesting that the coffeepot and cup are right on top of Jack's head! And those two big gray things, are those for water?? Interesting that there are two of them together. The coffeepot always looks the same (as Ennis always remains the same, and always stays in Wyo), but the bucket often looks different--canvas, cooking pot, trash can, paper bag, etc. And there are often two of them!!

I imagine the set decorators had a lot of fun on this movie! What I would have given to be one of them or just talk to them sometime!!

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2007, 03:38:06 pm »
In answer to your second question about why was Jack lying down playing the harmonica while Ennis was still fussing with the tent . . . Jack had apparently finished his share of camp setup (fire pit and cooking facility), water, food storage, while Ennis put up the tent, and it took him a while longer . . . just a thought!

I've always seen it differently - Ennis had been busy doing something else while Jack put up the tent.  When Ennis says, "Tent don't look right," I think this is the first he's taking a look at it.  And, like ordering soup even though he himself don't eat soup, he takes care of Jack by adjusting the tent.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2007, 03:41:15 pm »
But the thing I wanted to say about this picture is that I think it's another great tester of whether you are primarily a Heathen or a Gyllenhaalic.  I had seen the movie quite a few times before I noticed that dazzling smile on Jake's face.  I was too busy watching Heath's every movement. 

RodneyFL

« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2007, 03:44:54 pm »
Thanks for pointing this out, Chrissi! Isn't it interesting that the coffeepot and cup are right on top of Jack's head! And those two big gray things, are those for water?? Interesting that there are two of them together. The coffeepot always looks the same (as Ennis always remains the same, and always stays in Wyo), but the bucket often looks different--canvas, cooking pot, trash can, paper bag, etc. And there are often two of them!!

I imagine the set decorators had a lot of fun on this movie! What I would have given to be one of them or just talk to them sometime!!

I believe the metal containers were for the supplies on the pack mules.  The water containers (you might recall from the earlier camp setup scene) were canvas, and thus collapsable.

RodneyFL

« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2007, 03:47:01 pm »
But the thing I wanted to say about this picture is that I think it's another great tester of whether you are primarily a Heathen or a Gyllenhaalic.  I had seen the movie quite a few times before I noticed that dazzling smile on Jake's face.  I was too busy watching Heath's every movement. 

Yes, Jack's (Jake's) dazzling smile and his chuckle at Ennis' teasing him about the harmonica!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2007, 03:51:17 pm »

You could be on to something there, Clarissa. I noticed Jake's smile right from the get-go.

(Oh, yeah, Heath's back there fiddling with the tent. ...)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2007, 03:57:23 pm »
You could be on to something there, Clarissa. I noticed Jake's smile right from the get-go.

Jeff, you are a sucker for guys with great smiles!

(I am too)

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2007, 04:00:22 pm »
Jeff, you are a sucker for guys with great smiles!

You bet!  :D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.