Author Topic: The check-in--add your thoughts!  (Read 8638 times)

Offline newyearsday

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • ponygirl
The check-in--add your thoughts!
« on: April 28, 2006, 04:24:30 pm »
Hi everyone!

I notice there are quite a few of us here on this lovely Friday, and since it seems to be the right time, and the right place, I wanted to start a check-in post, which I’ve been meaning to do for a while. I hope after I'm done that others will add their own thoughts and sentiments.

I’ll just start by saying how much I’ve missed being here (if not 24-7, then at least 4 or 5-7!). Most of you remember my post from 2 weeks ago saying I’d be taking some time off from here and not posting as much. I’ve tried to be on the board almost every day for a little bit, but I have missed feeling like I really know what is going on here.

In the time since that post, I’ve been going through a few things—hating my job enough to do something about it, for one. I also realized I had taken on a few too many Brokie things—the archive, the necklaces (they’re comin, I swear!), the store/marketing, the abandoned security check for the yahoo group, and just bein a normal Tremblayan and having fun. I wanted to do all of it so badly, but it was overwhelming to try and cram it in after work each day, when I was already stressed from that situation. I know, take it easy right? Let be. But I’m a little too much like Ennis in lots of ways…it’s all or nothing I guess.

So, all that got me down. I couldn’t do any of it really. Also, it all  happened EXACTLY when the movie left theaters, slowly plunging me into a state of Brokeback Mountain Withdrawal that saw me suddenly posting and laughing less than I had for the past several months in a row. I’ve never laughed as much everyday as I have with you all for the past two months and more, counting the big board. This week it’s back more, the laughing, I mean. Maybe it’s you guys being funny or maybe it’s me being less stressed, or both. In any case, I’m definitely grateful, and much obliged.

But the withdrawal from the film was a big deal to me, and we’ve only barely talked about it I think (can’t be sure since I haven’t been here enough to know). I think I am one of the few—maybe the only one—who still hasn’t watched the DVD! And I got an advance copy in March! I just couldn’t do the small screen thing. So I slowly stopped thinking of it every day first thing, last thing, in between things, etc. With people posting less about the movie itself, I guess that was a big but unspoken change.

I've also been annoyed with myself because, for all my love of the movie and you guys, I can’t claim to have really changed my life the way I wanted to after being so affected by the movie—relationship-wise, I am as Ennis-y as ever. I think I need to use this site and the beautiful community here to begin delving deeper into why that’s so, or figure out how to change it so I don’t end up alone like Ennis, which is a great fear of mine.

Speaking of fears of mine, I noticed that it got quiet here on CT for a little while. Some people left, and others just sort of dropped off unexpectedly (Nicole!). That's made me wonder—what’s going on for us now as a community? This is a big part of my check-in actually. We’ve been through a lot. The troll war happened a month ago this week, and we’ve been here now exactly four weeks. I think that whole ordeal created some big waves that we’ve weathered pretty well. But some aspects of the community seem now to belong in either “IMDb days” or “BetterMost days.” Like the Cult Thread—I miss it so much! Is it true that the time is past for such innocent reverie? Such poetic creations? I hope not. But maybe so.

In regards to the quieter week or two that we've had recently--are many of us just a little more busy/stressed than usual (exams anyone?)? Needing a break from life? Some down time for once? Maybe it's the Spring weather and we want to go out more. Or the fact that we have begun to do a little bit of other things besides focus solely on the movie now that four and a half months have passed...maybe all of these things. But I guess in general I feel like we’ve been through a transition time—the movie has pretty much finished playing in theaters, the awards are done, and the DVD is out. Not much left to look forward to, sigh. And though the noticeable drop off in posting has been a bit scary to me (even though I did it too) it’s only natural, and it doesn't mean we are "going away" as a community.

I am curious now about how others feel….I know that people will come and go more now than before perhaps, but we still seem to have a pretty strong group here. How are you guys doing with the movie pulling out of theaters? Are you watching the DVD anymore? Listening to the soundtrack?

An, what do we hope for our community now? What do we stay together for? These are the questions I am curious about for you as individuals and for us as a group.

I’m here because I love you all and I don’t want to stop sharing the laughter, love, and growth I’ve found with you (even if our posts are no longer exclusively about the movie). I also still have a lot of things to get out of BBM--I know it won’t end just because it’s not on the big screen.

Personally, my biggest dream for our community is still to have a gathering in Calgary either this summer or next. Meeting together, as many of us as possible--to camp, to watch the movie on some big screen outside, to share some whiskey, coffee, elk meat, beans, and each others’ incredible company (tents or no tents)--would be the ultimate brokie experience for me.

Back in March, Meryl and I were pushing for this summer; strike while the iron’s hot I said…but others’ wanted to wait to save up enough money to get to come from far away, and do it next summer. Either way, it’s my big dream for us. I really want to make that happen. But even if it doesn’t, my intention and prayer for us is to continue our very fun, loving, and remarkable journey together in cyberspace—as long as we can ride it.

Big hugs,

Jenny
 :-* :-* :-* :-*
« Last Edit: April 29, 2006, 09:48:55 am by newyearsday »
Revelationtees--wear them for good. Profits go to the Matthew Shepard Foundation: www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.com & www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.net (for EU)
"One life, with each other..."

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: The check-in, one month after our arrival here....
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2006, 04:34:39 pm »
Wow, has it only been one month? It seems like I'm getting to know my fellow Tremblayans better than some of my closest friends! Thanks for sticking with us and sharing your thoughts. In many ways, I feel like we've only just begun. I especially enjoy chatting with new and old Tremblayans; only wish there were more of us in the Western time zones. But it's great to say g'day to the Australians when I'm chatting in the wee hours and sharing thoughts all over the world.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline henrypie

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2006, 04:38:49 pm »
Calgary 07!

Hey Jenny, I haven't watched the DVD either.  But I've gotten friskier and postier in the last week.

I sympathize with your musings.  I would like to say, though, that a month ain't nothin.  To me, it doesn't feel like a long time (I feel like I've been here forever), and someday it'll be a drop in the bucket because someday we'll have known each other for years.  Right?

Sarah

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2006, 05:13:08 pm »
Hi Jenny!

It's so good to see you again-I have missed you, for you and also as a piece of my past. I am here everyday because, like you, the end of the theater run just left me depressed and bereft. The theater experience was such a big part of my love affair, and affair that I am not ready to let go of but, it seems, does need to change. We are less focused on the movie now (but in recent days there has been more of that activity-VERY HAPPY about that) and I miss that. My Ennis-ness rears it's insecure head with the casual "chummy" posts cuz I don't know how to join in-oh, the ghosts of high school are ever present!

I am trying to wean myself, not from the movie or this home, but from my emotional entanglement with all things BbM. I hate to let any part of it go-strange because much of it was quite painful-but feeling like I need to find a "place" for this experience. I still dream of Ennis and Jack, still wake-up with them on my mind, still have a hard time connecting to readings that are not BbM, I am just able to watch movies again but have a hard time seeing Heath Ledger characters if there is any remote resemblance to Ennis delMar. Most is disturbing is the fantasy life I have with Jake Gyllenhaal (who bugs-don't kill me!)!

So, with all that, I have opted to embrace my insanity. I'll get psychiatric help if I stop going to work or start drinking more than 3 bottles of wine per week. Until then, it's Bettermost.net and my Tremblay family.

Heathen

Offline Chanterais

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2006, 05:20:05 pm »
Darling Jenny, what a gorgeous, heartfelt post.  Can't possibly do any of it justice.

I'm here for the long haul.  I may dip in and out when things get hairy in my real life (like recently: exams and end-of-term stress is nothing to sneeze at), but I'll be around.  I'm doin' this again next summer.

I've got some major guilties because I'm not as wound up in the film as I was before.  There was a period where I just lived and breathed it - dreamed about it - ate beans nonstop.  But I'm letting it go now, and because of that, I feel like an impostor here.  It makes me sad because I have come to really adore my Tremblayans.  Has anyone else had the experience of discussing something REALLY IMPORTANT with friends recently (like, say, movies or books or hot ass fucking) and been utterly dejected when they don't all rush in with opinions and original thoughts and pant-wettingly funny jokes? 

I haven't watched my DVD either.  It's sitting there on my shelf, but I'm putting it off for as long as I can possibly stand it.  When I watch it again, I want it to wake me up like it did the first time.  I want to think of the film tenderly, with awe.  Handling it too much makes it go stale for me.  I can't bear the thought of it becoming ordinary.

But if you'll still have me, I'd like to remain here.  I don't really have anything new or stunningly perceptive to say about Brokeback, but I could make tea.  I make good tea.  Also very good lemon biscuits.  I have my uses.

I love it when we can move on to discussions of other movies which we're loving/hating/feeling conflicted about.  It feels really vibrant in here when rtprod's bringing up ideas about United 93, or Sarah's musing about Secretary.  Green and spankingly fresh thoughts.  I'd also love to explore what other people are reading right now (How're the Forsyte's doing, S?).  There are so many great brains to pick around here.

Going to stop blathering now.  Apologies for run-on sentances and verbal diarrhea.

Offline henrypie

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2006, 05:33:19 pm »
Chantie:
"Handling it too much makes it go stale for me."
Same here.

I like your references to, uh, spanking.
I like your uses.
I like verbal diarrhea.  I'm swimming in it!

The Forsytes are great.  I really love them.
I don't know if all editions have a family tree as a frontispiece, but mine does, and, while it comes in handy initially, it also reveals some plot turns that I would rather not have known about in advance.  It reminds me a little of when I read War and Peace: years before I read it, I had happened upon just the shortest snippet of the movie version, with Audrey Hepburn, and a major plot element had been revealed in just the seconds I saw.  I was flipping channels, or it was in a documentary or something.  I had forgotten it entirely for years, but then when I got into the book and became attached to the characters whose futures I had inadvertently learned about years before, I had this eerie deja-vu feeling about them.  It actually made the experience all the more poignant.  Kinda made me love them more because I knew something they didn't know.  Sniff.  I can imagine having had an eerie forefeeling with Brokeback Mountain, but in fact I didn't.

paddle, paddle, swim, swim

Offline Chanterais

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2006, 06:18:41 pm »
Guilty, guilty, guilty.  I'm a naughty little ferret.  No more hijacking threads.  I'm taking the Forsytes over to Anything Goes.  Earl Gray and cucumber sandwiches will be served.

Offline silkncense

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "It's alright; 's alright."
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2006, 06:25:12 pm »
Hey Ruby  (I still think we may be twins!) & all -

I am still obsessed, watching the DVD every week since it came out (bought it as the store opened on 04/04).  Somehow I am comforted by it (was in a panic when I thought Brokeback was leaving the theater & thus saw it 3 days straight for 3 weeks in a row!!).

I still post on TOB.  It actually took me awhile to move over to here also.  But, I do not post as frequently and worry that new topics, views and insights are becoming fewer & fewer.

Personally, my biggest dream for our community is still to have a gathering in Calgary either this summer or next. Meeting together, as many of us as possible--to camp, to watch the movie on some big screen outside, to share some whiskey, coffee, elk meat, beans, and each others’ incredible company (tents or no tents)--would be the ultimate brokie experience for me.

I AGREE completely - and am definitely ready to go in "07 - would love to this year also, but I have already made plans that can not be changed.  I hope that someone (Someone?) will get an e-mail list of everyone that wants to travel to Calgary so, even if they fade from this site somewhat, they can be contacted about our reunion.

LJ
"……when I think of him, I just can't keep from crying…because he was a friend of mine…"

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2006, 07:12:58 pm »
Silk, my sistah! I miss you everyday when I don't see you logging in here or on TOB! We are sooo in the same place over this so hang out, you bring the coffee and I'll bring the cherry cake!

O0

Heathen

Offline newyearsday

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • ponygirl
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2006, 09:48:23 am »
Just shamelessly bumping my thread...I hope it generates more discussion today. Kinda serious, I know, but put your two cents in about how you are and how we seem to be doing. Things look good today!

Jenny
Revelationtees--wear them for good. Profits go to the Matthew Shepard Foundation: www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.com & www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.net (for EU)
"One life, with each other..."