Author Topic: Question on a detail  (Read 10472 times)

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Question on a detail
« on: June 27, 2007, 11:35:31 am »
What in hell is this round, red thing that's sticking out from the kitchen cabinet to the right?

You have no idea what I'm talking about? Here's a cut-out of the object:

In the movie, it looks like a miniature basketball hoop, but the net under it is obviously not open. And what are the little red objects in it?

You can't see it clearly in the pics, but in the movie you see that it is affixed to the right citchen cabinett and it juts out.

I've wanted to ask this question since an eternity. Every time I see the movie, it bugs me and all I can look at is this thing. I can't keep my eyes from it  :P.

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I swear.............
Re: Question on a detail
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2007, 11:41:03 am »
it's a can opener! LOL
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2007, 11:55:38 am »
it's a can opener! LOL

Oh, boy, there's a period detail I never noticed before! I remember can openers like that!  ;D

Do you suppose Alma was pretty good with it?  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2007, 11:57:26 am »
Oh, boy, there's a period detail I never noticed before! I remember can openers like that!  ;D

I don't know but Ennis sure seemed to be!  ;D
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2007, 12:05:04 pm »
it's a can opener! LOL

hunh?  ???

HUNH?  ???  ???  ???  ???  ???  ???  ???  ???

I supposed Lee3 is kidding me, because today I posted the solution for my "What's this?" poll - and the correct answer was: can opener.

Do you really want to tell me this thing is a can opener?  ???

I'm confused.

Are you both kidding me?

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2007, 12:10:39 pm »
It certainly is a can opener, as far as I can see. We had one very like that at home when I was a little girl, main difference it had other colours. Since I'm of an age with Junior, it fits completely that this can opener is in this scene. I've never noticed it before.

The only thing I don't get is the placement of the thing, it should have been mounted so it points out into the room, not parallell with it like we see here. I've no idea how they'd manage to use it like this ???  Perhaps that's intentional. No can opening at the Del Mars, that was Jack's prerogative.....?

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2007, 12:27:25 pm »
It certainly is a can opener, as far as I can see. We had one very like that at home when I was a little girl, main difference it had other colours. Since I'm of an age with Junior, it fits completely that this can opener is in this scene. I've never noticed it before.

The only thing I don't get is the placement of the thing, it should have been mounted so it points out into the room, not parallell with it like we see here. I've no idea how they'd manage to use it like this ???  Perhaps that's intentional. No can opening at the Del Mars, that was Jack's prerogative.....?
If it's like the kind my Granny had it swings to get out of the way.
It's got some hinges on it.

Offline LauraGigs

• My Design Portfolio
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2007, 12:28:36 pm »
Do you really want to tell me this thing is a can opener?  Huh?

I'm confused.

Yes.  See, the idea is that it's hard to hold the opener itself steady while simultaneously holding the can steady and turning the crank.

This way, the opener is mounted — so you hold the can with one hand and turn the crank with the other.

(I remember your recent posts on Jack's clumsy can opening on Lee's thread. Everything ties together here, don't it?    ;))

I agree, it's a great period detail in the set!!!

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2007, 02:23:51 pm »
Ok, I believe you  ;D.
But I still don't get it, despite Laura's explantaion.  ???

This thing looks like a simple ring with a net under it. Exactly like a miniature basketball hoop. How can you open cans with it? Ot at least hold cans with it, so you have both hands free for the opener?

I googled "can opener", "vintage can opener" and "can holder". I found something that fits the descriptions of Lee3 and Mikaela. But they look nothing like the thing in Alma's kitchen. Sorry the first pic is so big.

The thing in Alma's kitchen looks like this to me:

I just can't picture how to open or at least hold cans with it. 

Or do I need glasses?  ;) Does the thingie look different?

Sorry to be such a detail-obsessed pain in the you know what... But for the life of me I can not figure it out  ???

BTW: I'm not far from Junior's or Francine's age. But I didn't have grandparents. Maybe that's why   ;)

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2007, 02:33:16 pm »
Hee Hee! It may be time for glasses!  :laugh:

On the example photo you posted, the silverpart that says dazey, is red on Almas. the other red thing is hust the knob at the end of the handle also red.
There is no net as far as I can tell (probably would have been a good idea though!).
The blade of the can opener has a little hook to it so you kind of snap the can on then turn the crank abd it opens the can. I think it's also magnitized. Sriously it's been 25,30 yrs since Ihave seen or used an opener like that one! :laugh:

Good Lord, I am old!